Clubs threaten to leave NRL if Dave Smith stays

NRL rebellion: Rugby league clubs want CEO Dave Smith gone or threaten to leave competition

August 23, 2015 12:00am
JAMES HOOPERThe Sunday Telegraph

Clubs are threatening to leave the NRL competition unless CEO Dave Smith is ousted. Picture: Phil Hillyard
SOME of the most powerful figures in rugby league have floated the idea of a breakaway 12-team competition in a bid to oust NRL CEO Dave Smith.

Last week’s TV negotiations, which saw Fox Sports and Telstra cut out of the deal, is the latest in a growing list of frustrations they have with Mr Smith and Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman John Grant.

The new competition would be made up by the 12 clubs, whose NRL participation agreements end at the conclusion of the 2017 season.

Of those 12, four are leading the rebel league discussions with the goal of getting Mr Smith and Mr Grant torpedoed out of office.

Under the radical proposal the four clubs currently being propped up by the NRL – Wests Tigers, St ­George Illawarra, Newcastle and Gold Coast – would be left out of the new competition.

The push has been discussed among some of the most influential figures in rugby league who remain furious at a range of NRL decisions, including cutting key stakeholders Fox Sports and Telstra out of the TV negotiations.

Their anger was intensified after News Corp and the Seven Network partnered to give the AFL a record $2.5 billion television deal.

The inconsistencies from the NRL match review committee and the judiciary in ­relation to the shoulder charges are also a key concern of the powerbrokers, as well as the multi-million dollar blow-out of executive salaries and the number of staff employed since Smith was appointed at the start of 2013.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl-rebellion-rugby-league-clubs-want-ceo-dave-smith-gone-or-threaten-to-leave-competition/story-fni2flhh-1227494555625

Oooooooooooooh

When dis happen,

So potentially i have 2 more years to follow my Club before we draw the Curtains ?

@foreveratiger:

So potentially i have 2 more years to follow my Club before we draw the Curtains ?

Unless Harry pays off the NRL !

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

@foreveratiger:

Shezzz, even my second and third team choice if possiblle will be kicked out!!!
Rugby league is doomed sorry to say, nrl or superleague……
A league here we all come!!!

I am quickly losing interest in this game.
They will also make 6 rule changes before next season.
This is not the RL that I followed and loved as a kid.

@cqtiger:

I am quickly losing interest in this game.
They will also make 6 rule changes before next season.
This is not the RL that I followed and loved as a kid.

What are the rule changes mate , besides the interchange rule ?

Once all this big Money came in to the game ? it wrecked it .

No shoulder charges , no punches……Gee a contact sport has been absolutely ruined by the Corporate dollar.

Plenty of clubs in Qld Cup & NSW Cup that would love to enter the NRL Comp.

See ya’s

no… the clubs can leave.

The Players hold the key and they will go where the money is. When Wentworthville enter the NRL competition, and get the NRL Grant, big name players will play for them!

@Milky:

@Tiger Watto:

See ya’s

Taking the ? Lol

Not sure what you mean Milko.
If what is reported turns out to be true (0.001% chance of happening) then the NRL will need replacement teams from somewhere.

@Sabre:

@Milky:

@Tiger Watto:

See ya’s

Taking the ? Lol

Not sure what you mean Milko.
If what is reported turns out to be true (0.001% chance of happening) then the NRL will need replacement teams from somewhere.

\

@Tiger Watto:

no… the clubs can leave.

The Players hold the key and they will go where the money is. When Wentworthville enter the NRL competition, and get the NRL Grant, big name players will play for them!

Fair enough, i thought the NRL would go into liquidation.

Would be nice having two Rugby League competitions to support tbh

@foreveratiger:

Haha……try being an old Magpie
been there, done that,…yada yada…next

@innsaneink:

@foreveratiger:

Haha……try being an old Magpie
been there, done that,…yada yada…next

My Club is Wests Tigers, what is the difference from an old Magpie to an old Balmain Tiger, both got the same treatment.

@Tiger Watto:

no… the clubs can leave.

So the Magpies are coming back…woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme