Asolutely Nil Accountability

I know this is not a new theme and some of you will probably switch off immediately when you start reading this……Everyone, it is time to get tough when it comes to team selections. I am absolutely sick and tired of the Tigers culture of nil accountability and the reward of mediocrity. For years, starting with the Sheens boys club then the shackled Potter and, finally, the clueless Taylor, we have had to endure uninspiring and perplexing team lists. Players who are obviously out of form, out of their depth or even over the hill keep getting picked. Also, I’m fed up with the excuse that there is no one to replace the underachievers. Firstly, there has to be SOME players in the lower grades who deserve a chance. Secondly, I’m a strong believer that players who are not performing or not putting in MUST be dropped in order to send a message to the WHOLE CLUB - a message that a lack of performance or a lack of effort will not be tolerated. And this should apply to ALL PLAYERS, seniors and rookies. Lots of players this year, at different times, have deserved to be dropped. These include Galloway, Richards, Lovett, Sironen and Buchanon. I’d also add Brooks to the list. I’m confident that he will eventually make it as a first grade footballer but at the moment he’s clearly not ready and seems to be rapidly losing confidence. He should of been replaced by the steadier Drinkwater weeks back. It was an inept and listless performance against the Sharks, which was hot on the heels of a poor effort against the Knights. There should have been consequences…but, no, once again mediocrity was rewarded. Pathetic.
:deadhorse:

You couldn’t of said it any better….

I agree in theory - but remember there are salary cap ramifications involved in such things.

@stevied:

I know this is not a new theme and some of you will probably switch off immediately when you start reading this……Everyone, it is time to get tough when it comes to team selections. I am absolutely sick and tired of the Tigers culture of nil accountability and the reward of mediocrity. For years, starting with the Sheens boys club then the shackled Potter and, finally, the clueless Taylor, we have had to endure uninspiring and perplexing team lists. Players who are obviously out of form, out of their depth or even over the hill keep getting picked. Also, I’m fed up with the excuse that there is no one to replace the underachievers. Firstly, there has to be SOME players in the lower grades who deserve a chance. Secondly, I’m a strong believer that players who are not performing or not putting in MUST be dropped in order to send a message to the WHOLE CLUB - a message that a lack of performance or a lack of effort will not be tolerated. And this should apply to ALL PLAYERS, seniors and rookies. Lots of players this year, at different times, have deserved to be dropped. These include Galloway, Richards, Lovett, Sironen and Buchanon. I’d also add Brooks to the list. I’m confident that he will eventually make it as a first grade footballer but at the moment he’s clearly not ready and seems to be rapidly losing confidence. He should of been replaced by the steadier Drinkwater weeks back. It was an inept and listless performance against the Sharks, which was hot on the heels of a poor effort against the Knights. There should have been consequences…but, no, once again mediocrity was rewarded. Pathetic.

This is what infuriates me. It’s not just this but people I deal with in life. They know how to complain and point out the issues but they dont have a plan to fix it. Sure, we have some players that are not up to NRL standard and the OP’s plan to fix this, if it is a plan at all, is a Hail Mary, “there has to be SOME players in the lower grades who deserve a chance.” I like that, “SOME players” from a team who is coming secondlast in a comp that’s nowhere near the caliber of the NRL.

The bottom line is, the players at JT’s disposal is all we have. That’s it. Nothing else. We can run the gauntlet with messing with the cap and playing players from state cup but we also risk running up regular cricket scorelines.

The best thing we can do is what we’re doing now. Cleaning house and fixing our cap issues. Once we fix our cap issues, we can start looking at buying players of better quality than what we have now. Choosing from a pool of players coming second last in NSW Cup is not only plain stupid, it’s borderline comical.

Well why is it they are coming second last? Could it be they don’t put in because they will never get a call up anyway….

Why would they not put in? Do they not want to get noticed by other clubs?

……LOL!

I would like to agree with you Chris because your points make sense, but bottom line is that blooding a Holden Cup player or NSW Cup player would not have impacted us any more inversely than the continual selection of some of the inept players stevied mentioned.

@bigsiro:

I would like to agree with you Chris because your points make sense, but bottom line is that blooding a Holden Cup player or NSW Cup player would not have impacted us any more inversely than the continual selection of some of the inept players stevied mentioned.

If we are borderline on 2nd tier cap, then yes is impacts us greatly.

Ok, I’ll be totally honest here……I didn’t know our NSW Cup team was running second last and, I have to admit, that I don’t fully under stand the second tier salary cap situation. The point is, and I stand by it, is that the club would have benefited from some tough love. A new player here and there is sending the right message. I suggested Drinkwater and what about Rowe? Wasn’t he playing well? There had to be one prop in Holden or NSW cup who deserved a chance at some stage…

@stevied:

I would suggest, if the opportunity to make changes existed, then I am sure someone in management would be suggesting these changes be considered. To suggest there are opportunities that are not being implemented, it means the whole team behind the Wests Tigers do not want to succeed or are stupid. How many times does Marina Go have to point out the financial restrictions of the NRL system are stopping them from taking a lot of actions, BECAUSE THE ACTIONS OF PREVIOUS MANAGEMENT TEAMS PUT THE TIGERS IN A DESPERATE FINANCIAL POSITION!

I don’t think that there is nil accountability. Getting rid of the captain and one of if not our best ever player shows there is accountability.

JT has been the worst coach I have ever seen however I assume that they must be discussing getting rid of the guy.

Isn’t the First Grade squad 25 players ?, they only run out 17 at a time , surely one or two of the remaining eight could be tried, no second tier problems there

@rex2ce:

Isn’t the First Grade squad 25 players ?, they only run out 17 at a time , surely one or two of the remaining eight could be tried, no second tier problems there

This is the team selected for this weekend, who would YOU be trying from the remaining first tier players and who would they replace?

1 James Tedesco
2 David Nofoaluma
3 Kevin Naiqama
4 Tim Simona
5 Pat Richards
6 Mitchell Moses
7 Luke Brooks
8 Aaron Woods
9 Robbie Farah ©
10 Sauaso Sue
11 Curtis Sironen
12 Chris Lawrence
13 Martin Taupau
14 Kyle Lovett
15 Keith Galloway
16 Ava Seumanufagai
17 Dene Halatau
18 Manaia Cherrington

Drinkwater did have a go when Brooks was injured and made little impact. Hoeter and Milone both given a couple of chances with less than impressive results - although will give credit to Hoeters first game against the Dogs. Lodge given an opportunity yet his off field behaviour nullified any more chances for this year.Akoula is about the only one who showed ability last year that was worth a go (imo) however his form this year has been less than impressive. Unless you can identify better replacements than the top 17 players, you cant pull them out of thin air. Name the players you think deserved a shot otherwise it is pointless argument.

@Telltails:

Drinkwater did have a go when Brooks was injured and made little impact. Hoeter and Milone both given a couple of chances with less than impressive results - although will give credit to Hoeters first game against the Dogs. Lodge given an opportunity yet his off field behaviour nullified any more chances for this year.Akoula is about the only one who showed ability last year that was worth a go (imo) however his form this year has been less than impressive. Unless you can identify better replacements than the top 17 players, you cant pull them out of thin air. Name the players you think deserved a shot otherwise it is pointless argument.

Thank you “Tails” for your input with the details my old brain could not. I must say I think it is easy to be critical of a situation, but more difficult to come up with a legitimate, well-thought-out solution to be tried. Obviously, you have put a lo of thought into the possible solution.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme