Do our young players reallyhurt when they lose? - How I will remember Robbie

This was the one thing I loved about Robbie Farah and what I will remember him most for. He hated losing you could see it. It was etched all over him, it was painful and personal for him. He had more passion for the club then any other player you could just see it in my opinion in words and actions.

Thats why I believe he ended up being a divisive figure at this club and in league circles. His frustrations with losing and mediocrity led to him falling out with coaches, some players and board. He was prickly and moody, he wanted success and results. He took on more then he should/could and his frustrating led to fall outs and so on. He made some blews no doubt.

I actually think a change of club is great for him and probably good for our club as well. He gets a chance to just be a senior figure and not bare the burden of the captaincy and all the history of turmoil at our club. He will relish that and probably play some great footy. For us its a chance to move into a new era and start getting back into the market. I hate how it is all gone down again, i think again its been poorly handled in some respects again. I don’t think it is any way to treat a club captain and legend.

Anyway back to the point, do players hurt when they lose at Wests Tigers? Farah well, he would not leave his house for a couple of days after a loss and carried that gloom around him at times. I reckon this is part of the dis connect between him and some team mates. Im sure he carried that around at training at times and thats why some players were off him.

Benji admitted in his last few years he was just going through the motions happy to be one of the “the boys club”. I see our young blokes posting heaps of photos the day after a loss out celebrating somewhere in big groups. I get it, that kids are different these days. However I don’t think its the best look in the world the day after getting thumped.

Things like that probably grated Farah. Seeing some of them not really really hurting like he did after a loss. I dont think he like the fact players would leave the sheds smiling and joking. The fact coaches refused to drop under performing players, or players that were not putting in the hard yards.The fact he had passangers in games. I tnink he was like a fan in many respects with his passion, he would vent and take his frustrations out. He hated losing and wanted to blame people for it. He was a consistently excellent performer for near a decade but has tapered for the last 2 years.

Farah even divides people on here and many people will remember him differently to me. Many cant wait to see the back to him and blame him for whats wrong with the club. Opposition fans see him as a guy with a massive ego that should not have one.

They might be right. For mine I will remember him as a fierce competitor that hated losing. He was an extension of our passionate fans in a way. In the end the club was such a shambles his own passion and leadership became divisive. However I have him as our greatest player to date.

So
Do all our players hurt enough after a loss?

Good point.

My issue though is that passion never translated to being the kind of leader you need in a captain.

Yes, he led by example, most of the time, putting in 110%.

But unfortunately he also led by example hanging his head having a sulk under the posts when losing, rather than addressing the team, motivating them to regroup and regather, and lift their game.

On reflection his captaincy can only reign can only be described as turbulent. So your right in many respects with what you say there, he was a poor captain in some regards. However I wish we had more Robbie Farah types at the club, ie - blokes that hate losing. I just dont see it, and thats just a gut feeling from years of watching this team live at the ground.

I see young guys and even some senior guys and their body language and their efforts. I just think sometimes there is no pride in the jumper really. Farah was a winner for mine with a winner mentality.

Our coach doesn’t care about results, so why would the young players?

I dont always agree with what you say Eddie but i think you are very close to the mark with this.It seems to me that too many players just consider it to be a job and when you knock off you forget about it.To supporters it is far more passionate than that.
All clubs have players with Robbies attitude to a loss but sadly it seems to be getting less common.Maybe i am getting old and cranky but i prefer that attitude than “its just a job” mentality

Of course they don’t.
Why should they, There is no feeling of being responsible for their performances on the field,
Every excuse in the world is trotted out when they have a shocker.
They are given options where they are guaranteed a shed full of money, and a position
, without taking their form into consideration.
Our club is falling over itself to suck up to these kids, and they couldn’t care less about losing or winning.
They haven’t had to work for a spot since they hit first grade, and now we’re going to add another one.
They are in for a big reality check if they go elsewhere to a quality club.
Then they’ll have to be responsible for their games and won’t that be a shock to them

He hates losing so much that he turns selfish in close games (which is why we lost 90% of them even when we were good) and ran out of town Potter, who had flaws but had this team playing much better.

Sorry, he was a heck of a player in his prime and used to be my favourite tiger but for a while he’s been grossly overpaid and a terrible leader and ruining the club.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Thurston, Cronk and Smith are the types of players and personalities that can take a close game by the scruff or the neck, and put it beyond doubt. They do it consitently.

Farah takes close games and throws his toys out of the pram.

Case in Point - Bulldogs game earlier in the year we lost in golden point. 3 seconds to go and Farah attempts to milk a penalty - fair enough the dogs players were offside at marker, however an experienced player like that should know that the refs are going to be hesitant to blow the whistle.

Trouble is, the refs know Farah does it - it’s his M.O.

Rather than summing up the situation, and setting up a set play while the dogs were back peddling, or setting up for another field goal shot from 40 out he goes the cheap option, has a whinge, and M’bye puts the game to bed in Golden point.

THATS why he’s not in the league of players like Thurston, Cronk and Smith, and THATS why his selfish play at times has let us down.

@Black Orange White:

He hates losing so much that he turns selfish in close games (which is why we lost 90% of them even when we were good) and ran out of town Potter, who had flaws but had this team playing much better.

Sorry, he was a heck of a player in his prime and used to be my favourite tiger but for a while he’s been grossly overpaid and a terrible leader and ruining the club.

Yer, yer, yer and in the next two years when we are still at the bottom of the comp again, who will u blame then?
Coach, young players, admin???
Farah is still in the top two hookers in the game!

Look at all the cream at the top, lining up to slipper a club ledgend in the head!!
Well done, hats off….
All class!

They’ve had plenty of practice in the last 3 years that’s for sure…

@underdog:

Thurston, Cronk and Smith are the types of players and personalities that can take a close game by the scruff or the neck, and put it beyond doubt. They do it consitently.

Farah takes close games and throws his toys out of the pram.

Case in Point - Bulldogs game earlier in the year we lost in golden point. 3 seconds to go and Farah attempts to milk a penalty - fair enough the dogs players were offside at marker, however an experienced player like that should know that the refs are going to be hesitant to blow the whistle.

Trouble is, the refs know Farah does it - it’s his M.O.

Rather than summing up the situation, and setting up a set play while the dogs were back peddling, or setting up for another field goal shot from 40 out he goes the cheap option, has a whinge, and M’bye puts the game to bed in Golden point.

THATS why he’s not in the league of players like Thurston, Cronk and Smith, and THATS why his selfish play at times has let us down.

And that’s exactly what happened in SOO game 1 this year.

@underdog:

I was thinking about Robbie and how good he has been for us however some big plays where he hogs it or takes the wrong option have killed us. I feel like I will remember him and Benji to a degree as players that didn’t live up to their potential.

@lathami:

@Black Orange White:

Yer, yer, yer and in the next two years when we are still at the bottom of the comp again, who will u blame then?
Coach, young players, admin???
Farah is still in the top two hookers in the game!

Sorry there’s no way on current form farah is one of the top two hookers running around at the moment ennis, mccullough, Granville just to name a few no doubt he had some great years for us but they’re long gone if he doesn’t improve rapidly I can’t see him playing origin next year his form has been poor by his own standards maybe it’s been all the stress of what’s now happening that has been affecting his recent form only time will tell I guess

I think ‘Eddie’ and ‘guy’ make some very interesting and valid points. In hindsight it would have been good if as captain Farah could have had some motivational training. We would be seeing a completely different picture if he regularly turned his passion and winning attitude into motivating his team mates forward. He is capable of it because I’ve seen it, but I’ve also seen the head down, hands on hips. coulda, shoulda, woulda

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme