Have we been unlucky with coaches?

I am more pondering the question rather then stating it as a fact so please don’t shout me down!

Will start by saying I don’t want to disrespect Sheens. I know we won a comp and he built the club up to be a very likeable and competitive team over a period of time. He was a great coach for the club overall despite his stubborn selections and game plans which left us 9th and 10th too often.

Also I was a fan of Potter overall. Was happy when he signed him and wanted him re-signed for another year after his first 2 years. I thought hehad us playing a good style of football and getting improvments out of young players.

However It is interesting that our 5 past coaches Wayne Pearce, Terry Lamb, Paul Langmack, Tim Sheens and Mick Potter have nothing to do with coaching at in the NRL since their time at the Tigers. Not even an assistants role or anything in the NRL. And our long term assistant Royce Simmons, well the less said about his coaching the better.

We talk about making players accountable and having poor rosters and our losing culture. However a lot of players that leave our club go on and play good football and in winning teams. They dont seem to carry with them that losing culture. Some like Benji and Fifita, even get motivated and fit again under a different coach. Why cant our coaches do that?

Our coaches leave the club and…. are working on brewery trucks like Lamb, or in cafes like Potter, or in England as a advisor , or are just acting like clowns on the radio like Langmack. Or like Royce in charge of marketing something or other at Penrith. None have been pounced on by other clubs?

I mean you could argue the other way. You could say that Wests Tigers poor rosters, porr facilities and poor board room destroyed these great coaches careers so much that they could not get another job. !!

Anyway, everyone said it must be Robbie’s fault for maybe not getting on with some of our previous coaches and getting them sacked. Well they might be right, im sure Farah has over stepped the mark at times to the coaches detrement. But then it means the rest of the NRL are wrong (like Farah) for not offering them any other employment in the NRL?

I am more posing the question then anything else. Its just an interesting fact that our 5 previous coaches all pretty much have had the red line put through them by the league. Maybe thats what West Tigers does to them? Makes them hate coaching and they want to do something else (entirely plausable)

Now we have Taylor. Who by all accounts is as popular as a fart in a elevator, maybe even less then that at Souths. Rothfield is heavily insinuated that the game plans have been really shackled and the team have been suffering as a result. The team has clearly not been able to adapt or not bought into what he is selling.

Anyway like i said i am more asking the question then anything.

We could just go back down the Sheens path where every win was in spite of the Coach…

After today…do we really need one…

P.S. Don’t remember Langers ever coaching the Wests Tigers…

Sorry I thought Lamb got sacked mid season and was replaced by Langmack in mid 2002??

Maybe Lamb stayed on i cant remember but they definetly sacked him mid season or told him he would not be required in 2003.

He saw out the year Eddie even post Hoppagate…had a contract for 2003…but then Sheens left the Cows mid 2002 and the rest is history…

Not so much unlucky, but unwise with our choices, I reckon Eddie - Sheens being the exception.

I wouldn’t say unlucky , just not very astute .

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Thats what i mean really.

Have we picked lame ducks???

@Eddie:

The majority of the time …yes !

@Eddie:

Yes, apart from Sheens’ appointment, I don’t think we have done a lot of homework when we’ve hired our coaches.

We have always gone with the bargain basement options. We don’t have the cash to get Hassler to break a contract nor will any strong coaches go near a team without the same level of of resources and lack of corporate support.

This is why we end up with Potter and Taylor. This the reason for the Taylor power play as he needs kids who might listen to him. He is not a coach with ability to tailor game pals around their strengths just tries to play a Roosters game with inferior athletes.

@Flippedy:

@Eddie:

Yes, apart from Sheens’ appointment, I don’t think we have done a lot of homework when we’ve hired our coaches.

What a waste of money was thath smith guy who came and anylized the joint since then the club has gone worse…. Any link?

Mick Potter was a very good coach.
He was undone by the club from day dot.
The captain (and a few others) got pinned for his demise but ultimately it was brian Smith who for some reason was brought in to do a review by the outgoing officials.

Sack the coach get a bronze statue of Farah outside Liechardt oval.

Have We been unlucky - No

Do we have a challenging environment in terms of facilities and Disposable income - Yes

We howled and prayed for a disciplinarian coach to come our way, We got Potter and Now JT and we are crying…

@Snake:

Sack the coach get a bronze statue of Farah outside Liechardt oval.

With Potter perched on it and doing what birds do to statues

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme