Wests Tigers talk extending in-demand lock Marty Taupau’s contract

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/wests-tigers-talk-extending-in-demand-lock-marty-taupaus-contract-nrl-market-watch/story-fn2mcuj6-1227507912606

Nathan Ryan FOX SPORTS September 02, 2015 6:00AM

TIGERS MOVE ON MARTY
WESTS Tigers have begun discussions with in-demand lock Marty Taupau to extend his contract beyond next year.

Despite still having another season to run on his current deal, the Tigers are aware of growing interest in the New Zealand international.

To make matters even more pressing, six weeks ago Taupau exclusively revealed to foxsports.com.au his desire to follow Jarryd Hayne’s career path from the NRL to NFL by participating in a combine.

Stand-in CEO Phil Moss began talks with Taupau’s manager last month in a move to tie the 25-year-old to Concord long term.

“Marty’s here next year and we’ve had discussions with his management about extending his time with the Wests Tigers,” Moss told foxsports.com.au.

One club linked to Taupau is the Warriors.

Speculation was rife only a few weeks ago that the club was set to strike, prompting Warriors

CEO Jim Doyle to phone the club and assure them this was not the case.

“Obviously we’d like to have someone like Marty in our team but we haven’t had any discussions with him,” Jim Doyle said.

“He’s contracted next year. I have no idea where all this has come from. We’ve not spoken to Marty Taupau or his management.

“We’ve still got a few spots to fill for next year but nothing at that level of Marty Taupau.

“Were still in the process of finalising our roster for 2016, but due to the salary cap we’re looking more at that bottom end of the top 25.”

With Robbie Farah’s future at the club in limbo, Tigers utility Dene Halatau is yet to have his future resolved.

The club is in talks with his management, with both parties hopeful a deal can be brokered.

“I’m in a bit of a unique situation myself where I’m unsigned and there’s two weeks to go in the season,” Halatau said.

“I’m still in limbo at the moment. With terms of having something signed and ready to go next year.

“I’ve had some positive chats with the club, but we’re working through that process at the moment and my fingers are crossed that I’ll still be playing next year.”

The same page (bottom shows all team’s player gains and losses) said we extended Matt Lodge for two years. Don’t know how true that is.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

hope Lodge is staying. KG going leaves a big whole in the prop department.

It means nothing nowadays, signing and extending contracts

I have NO faith in a contract
Either the player moves on or the Club moves them on

Adam Blair ? Benji , Beau , Robbie

@Love the WestsTigers:

It means nothing nowadays, signing and extending contracts

I have NO faith in a contract
Either the player moves on or the Club moves them on

Adam Blair ? Benji , Beau , Robbie

Blame the player managers.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Marty recently picked up a new car from Wakeling as part of his deal ?? Hopefully he is planing on staying.

Does a sneaky little happy dance…

Nice distraction smart media release. Now they should link it to releasing farah.
Which, they will.

Cut the grass and see the snakes slither.

@Geo.:

Does a sneaky little happy dance…

Your sweetheart staying? 😆

Seriously though, if Taupau is a big supporter of Farah staying with the Tigers, he could hold a real ace in his contract negotiations 😉

Taupau’s not stupid…he knows if Robbie goes his job will be to tackle,tackle,tackle. And help out Cherrington in D along with helping out Moses and Brooks.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme