How do we prepare for 2016 and beyond?

First up, it’s my first post and I’m going to try to always be constructive and positive (always look forward)
Let’s assume Robbie is gone, however that works out, presumably it frees up something cap wise
We have a stack of young guns to build around and I get we are broke and capped out but surely there are some options
I’d be happy enough letting all our off contracts go, including Ava, Jack B and Dene if we could sign one decent prop and a centre
If Chris Lawrence has to go to make that possible, I’d be disappointed but I think we can cover the back row at a pinch, and I reckon we need a Prop and a Centre big time
What if we went that way and went all out for someone like:
Prop: Aiden Tolman, Sam Thaiday, Matt Prior, Sam Tagataese
Centre: Tim Lafai, Joey Leilua
Maybe Superleague as another option, there must be some options there, I’m not close to it
That’s my thoughts, go easy, it’s my first post and I want to see how we can get back to challenging for the 8 and building from there

Welcome and good solid first post.

I would think that we need a 2nd Rower (with Taupau moving back to prop) so mayby someone like Chris McQueen

Then a winger or a centre - prob someone from Penrith as they have too many - Mayby Idris and then Kev goes to left wing perhaps

Also we need to re-sign Ava and Halatau to go with them and then look for a 4th prop still for bench depth but not sure who. The 4 props you mentioned would be ok although I think we need a first hit up prop as they call it these days

@Curly Tiger:

First up, it’s my first post and I’m going to try to always be constructive and positive (always look forward)
Let’s assume Robbie is gone, however that works out, presumably it frees up something cap wise
We have a stack of young guns to build around and I get we are broke and capped out but surely there are some options
I’d be happy enough letting all our off contracts go, including Ava, Jack B and Dene if we could sign one decent prop and a centre
If Chris Lawrence has to go to make that possible, I’d be disappointed but I think we can cover the back row at a pinch, and I reckon we need a Prop and a Centre big time
Maybe Superleague as another option, there must be some options there, I’m not close to it
That’s my thoughts, go easy, it’s my first post and I want to see how we can get back to challenging for the 8 and building from there

I can’t agree with saying you’ll let Ava go then list Prior and Tagatese as options.

We need to keep Ava and if we let Lodge go then we need to sign another prop. But I have a feeling Taupau will make his way back up front next year with our backrow playing close to 80 minutes every week.

Lawrence and Siro will both play 80 minutes in the backrow. What Taylor does with lock is the question. Does he still interchange lock or does he move Marty back to the front row rotation and play an 80 minute worker at lock….possibly McQueen?

No way should we sign Prior. He is no better than anything we have on the books.

@Curly Tiger:

Welcome CT.

If you accept Farah is going (maybe and maybe not) , The replacement is Cherrington but he can’t last for 80 min. We need someone to help - that is Halatau in my opinion so he needs to be resigned for one year.

Woods, Sue, Tapau - need to resign Ava. We have Lodge who maybe told to go and Buchanan who may not be quite good enough. So agree we probably need another prop.

Rowdy needs to stay - I see his partnership with Siro being a really good positive for us next year. Rowdy also as captain for me.

Centre is problem - I would go all out for Ware - just the type of centre we need. Tim Lafai is too young, Joey Leilua wouldn’t come here. Need someone with a lot of experience. Kev is not a winger, stays in the centre for me - Simona and Nofa on the edges. Teddy FB.
Just an opinion.

@Russell:

@Curly Tiger:

Welcome CT.

If you accept Farah is going (maybe and maybe not) , The replacement is Cherrington but he can’t last for 80 min. We need someone to help - that is Halatau in my opinion so he needs to be resigned for one year.

Woods, Sue, Tapau - need to resign Ava. We have Lodge who maybe told to go and Buchanan who may not be quite good enough. So agree we probably need another prop.

Rowdy needs to stay - I see his partnership with Siro being a really good positive for us next year. Rowdy also as captain for me.

Centre is problem - I would go all out for Ware - just the type of centre we need. Tim Lafai is too young, Joey Leilua wouldn’t come here. Need someone with a lot of experience. Kev is not a winger, stays in the centre for me - Simona and Nofa on the edges. Teddy FB.
Just an opinion.

Chee Kam from Manly plays Centre….

@alexaki:

@Russell:

@Curly Tiger:

Welcome CT.

Just an opinion.

Chee Kam from Manly plays Centre….

Thanks alexaki I totally forgot about him.

Yes, well Kev and Chee Kam in the centre and Simona and Nofa on the wing.
Imo you can’t play Kev on the wing as I don’t see him as a winger at all.
If you play Simona in the centre, I think you would have to drop Kev and play Hoeter on the wing. Don’t think Kev deserves to be dropped.

Thanks again for remindinding me of Chee Kam.

Simona won’t be moved back to the wing, and rightly so IMO.

There’ll be numerous players currently contracted that will become available for whatever reason - hopefully one or two decent options for the pack.

Don’t think we can count on Lodge being here next year. Looking at his charge sheet he might be hearing those famous words, “Mind your fingers!” as the cell door slams.

@ricksen:

Simona won’t be moved back to the wing, and rightly so IMO.

There’ll be numerous players currently contracted that will become available for whatever reason - hopefully one or two decent options for the pack.

Chee-Cam can play center or second row. We, apparently, just signed Justin Hunt from St. George. He is a center.

I think most of the pieces are in place really.

The centres/wingers need settling, but I’m happy with Kev & Simona so long as Milone isn’t the #1 back-up. Allwood could be the answer if the rumours are true of him coming here as the #3 option. The drop from our starters to the back-ups is too steep. Replacing Richards is more important. I don’t see shifting Kev or Simona out there as an improvement. One of the younger guys like Fine perhaps, could be an option. They need someone that won’t cost you a game, and can run out of dummy half.

The props I think are ok with Woods, Taupau, Ava (if resigned) & Sue rotating. Sue/Taupau can start at lock and shift to prop mid-game, offering flexibility. With Lodge potentially on the books too, I think the Tigers need to stick with the young guys.

Backrow is more problematic as they will have the same issue next year as this year- no really damaging runner out wide. Lawrence, Sironen & Halatau (if resigned) are pretty solid, with Sironen showing he could be used like Paul Langmack of old last week. But still- that edge runner is missing. Not sure where he comes from at this point. Taupau & Sue can do some minutes in the backrow too during the game- flexibility!

Cherrington is clearly the next hooker with Halatau covering him. If Halatau isn’t signed, i’m not as down on Joel Luani as some. In fact, i think Luani offers more off the bench than Santi, Lovett & Buchanan- he covers hooker, 2nd row & can play 5/8 in a pinch- flexibility.

Chee-Kam is almost counted as a starter here now. I’d say he’s a bench guy myself at this stage, but does allow the Tigers to carry no backs on the bench- bonus. 2 of the 4 props of note will be on the bench too- so Ava & Lodge potentially? And then if Sue/Taupau plays lock, Halatau likely fills the last bench spot.

It’s depth where I see problems. The Tigers need a couple of backrowers that are above Lovett/Santi in ability. They need an edge runner. They need a 5th/6th prop if Lodge is punted. They need one of the young centres to step up, or need to find a player to fill that role.

the only starting position I think needs immediate strengthening is Richards wing spot. And a bench spot for an ‘impact’ type forward. other than that- get me depth signings & I’m happy with the squad.

i have’nt seen much of anything from Lodge yet, but if it is possible to keep him, then I would for one more year, but he needs some help from the right people to get his head in order

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme