2016 and beyond

There has been a lot of focus recently on the negatives of the last week or so. There are a few developments that are falling into place that are crucial for our future as a competitive club. I think these changes will place us in a far better position than we have been , ever.
These changes are;

• the signing of a new major sponsor for a record deal for the club.
  • Meriton to also stay on in a supporting sponsor role and also may contribute to the Balmain side of the ventures debt
  • A new CEO. Hopefully he can bring some proffessionalism and strength to our management
  • We all know of the great young crop of talent that we have
    I my opinion, we will be financially secure with the management to back it up.
    We will suffer for one more season, 2016, as we will have the same roster and same coach next year.
    2017 will be the year that we can actually do something special. We will have space in the cap to buy some much needed talent. Robbie and Laurence will be gone along with their backended contracts. The younger players will be more experienced.
    The biggest concern I have is JT. I don’t think that we can attract any decent players to come to our club whilst he is here. If Wests Tigers are fair dinkum in attempting to win titles, then we need to make a big play for a big coach. A current NRL coach who is proven . A coach who has the ability to attract quality players from his current club to follow him.
    JT’s is not NRL standard. I’m sorry if I offend anyone here, but the game against the Panthers sealed the deal for me. There are players in our current squad that are not happy with JT and I fear that we will lose them if he stays beyond 2016. I don’t want to sack the coach. But I would not like to see him here beyond 2016 season.
    I’m excited for the future because I can see positive signs off the field. A supercoach is all that’s needed to complete the transformation. Then we will be a force for a long time to come.

@crusader:

There has been a lot of focus recently on the negatives of the last week or so. There are a few developments that are falling into place that are crucial for our future as a competitive club. I think these changes will place us in a far better position than we have been , ever.
These changes are;

• Meriton to also stay on in a supporting sponsor role and also may contribute to the Balmain side of the ventures debt
  • A new CEO. Hopefully he can bring some proffessionalism and strength to our management
    We will suffer for one more season, 2016, as we will have the same roster and same coach next year.
    2017 will be the year that we can actually do something special. We will have space in the cap to buy some much needed talent. Robbie and Laurence will be gone along with their backended contracts. The younger players will be more experienced.
    The biggest concern I have is JT. I don’t think that we can attract any decent players to come to our club whilst he is here. If Wests Tigers are fair dinkum in attempting to win titles, then we need to make a big play for a big coach. A current NRL coach who is proven . A coach who has the ability to attract quality players from his current club to follow him.
    JT’s is not NRL standard. I’m sorry if I offend anyone here, but the game against the Panthers sealed the deal for me. There are players in our current squad that are not happy with JT and I fear that we will lose them if he stays beyond 2016. I don’t want to sack the coach. But I would not like to see him here beyond 2016 season.
    I’m excited for the future because I can see positive signs off the field. A supercoach is all that’s needed to complete the transformation. Then we will be a force for a long time to come.

Well written you have a good point… I have even more information on the penrith game concerning Matt Lodge. Matt Lodge was offered to play u/20’s State of origin and Matt Lodge asked Jason Taylor whether or not he was playing first grade that week. JT said you’re playing first grade, so of course Lodge said he will ditch u/20’s SOO to play play first grade…
So, during the warm up JT walked over to Lodge and said you’re not playing today. So Lodge didn’t play any grade that week end and Lodge was peed off…

So im not satisfied with Jason Taylor

Good post Crusader
I agree with most but I just think we have to persist with Taylor, most of our “quality” players are off contract end 2017
Apart from anything else, do we want to punt three coaches in a row
It was crazy giving him three years, but we did so I think we need to keep him
And before anyone raises Robbie, it’s the same for me, he should probably never have been given 4 years at age 30 but he was, again I think we should honour it. It would give us a point of difference to other clubs if we stuck to what we put in place

Good response CT.
I’m not looking to sack JT now, that would be stupid. I accept that Robbie needs to be moved on. If you look through my posts earlier in the year, I suggested as much. just needed to be handled better.
It’s not good to be sacking coaches often, but if he is not the man, then he’s not the man. Let him be for 2016, but we need a big time coach for 2017. Someone who can attract decent players to the club. That’s all I’m asking for.

@crusader:

I’m wondering if you realise that there are very strong whispers that during the Panthers game JT wanted to do a tactical reshuffle which Robbie flat out refused to be part of, even when directly asked to by the trainer he replied with a few expletives. When asked to then come off the field he again declined.

We’re judging the coach on the surface of the results. But if players, and especially captains refuse to go along with changes when its clear the current plan wasn’t working then what is a coach to do? Would JT’s change have made a difference, for better or worse? Who knows… We sure don’t because he wasn’t given the opportunity to reshuffle his team the way he wanted!

It’s things like this which causes tension between a coach and a player… But no, loyalty is always apparently paramount.

@Balmain Boy:

@crusader:

I’m wondering if you realise that there are very strong whispers that during the Panthers game JT wanted to do a tactical reshuffle which Robbie flat out refused to be part of, even when directly asked to by the trainer he replied with a few expletives. When asked to then come off the field he again declined.

We’re judging the coach on the surface of the results. But if players, and especially captains refuse to go along with changes when its clear the current plan wasn’t working then what is a coach to do? Would JT’s change have made a difference, for better or worse? Who knows… We sure don’t because he wasn’t given the opportunity to reshuffle his team the way he wanted!

It’s things like this which causes tension between a coach and a player… But no, loyalty is always apparently paramount.

I’m glad you brought this up because I happen to know a bit about this one.
During the Panthers game, when Simona got injured and Lovett got shown up, JT sent the trainer with a message for Robbie to go defend out in the centres. This was the game where Robbie actually broke his hand and ultimately missed out on the Origin game 3. So when the trainer came out, Robbie advised the trainer that he had just hurt his hand and would be a major liability out in the centres. More than Lovett. ( Meanwhile, Laurence is playing in the second row ). So JT demands that Robbie go out there a second time. Robbie tells the trainer that his hand may be broken and he wouldn’t be able to defend out wide. Now if you’ve played the game this makes sense to you. We already had a couple of injuries this game and I think Marty was playing on with a thigh injury as well and did’t come off.At no stage did Robbie refuse to get off the field, I think you just made that part up.
Considering all this and the fact that you have a former test centre on the park, I could not choose to support JT on this one. He eventually ( after 4 tries ) put Laurence out there but the game was lost.

well that put him back in his box.

@crusader:

@Balmain Boy:

@crusader:

I’m glad you brought this up because I happen to know a bit about this one.
During the Panthers game, when Simona got injured and Lovett got shown up, JT sent the trainer with a message for Robbie to go defend out in the centres. This was the game where Robbie actually broke his hand and ultimately missed out on the Origin game 3. So when the trainer came out, Robbie advised the trainer that he had just hurt his hand and would be a major liability out in the centres. More than Lovett. ( Meanwhile, Laurence is playing in the second row ). So JT demands that Robbie go out there a second time. Robbie tells the trainer that his hand may be broken and he wouldn’t be able to defend out wide. Now if you’ve played the game this makes sense to you. We already had a couple of injuries this game and I think Marty was playing on with a thigh injury as well and did’t come off.At no stage did Robbie refuse to get off the field, I think you just made that part up.
Considering all this and the fact that you have a former test centre on the park, I could not choose to support JT on this one. He eventually ( after 4 tries ) put Laurence out there but the game was lost.

I was at that game. Worst performance of the year. Thanks for the insight.

@bp tiger:

well that put him back in his box.

This is all very confusing for someone with no “inside information”.

We seem to be playing a game of “I can trump your rumour with my rumour”.

Any advance on crusader’s rumour? Anyone??

Another load of “I know this” and " I know that".

Don’t believe a word of it.

@crusader:

These changes are;

Even if Robbie goes we will still be paying a large portion of his contract in 2017.

@Balmain Boy:

@crusader:

You forgot to add BB, that at that time they realised that Taylor’s hand was broken and according to what was said about the incident, Farah told the trainer that he would be useless trying to defend at centre.
I’m sure that it was just a oversight on your part that you left that out. I know you wouldn’t mean to misrepresent the facts.

So he can’t defend out in the centres so he stays in the middle where he tackles more?

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

@cqtiger:

So he can’t defend out in the centres so he stays in the middle where he tackles more?

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

In the middle you have a compressed defense with bigger forwards right beside you. You just need to make contact with your shoulder and prop/2nd rower will clean up the rest.
Out in the centres, it’s 1 on 1 as Lovett discovered the hard way.

I thought that you would’ve known this……

I believe WT will stick to the 3yr plan & so they should. JT is & has been doing the dirty work. The clean out that most ppl have been crying out for is just about complete. To be fair, JT will actually deserve an extension, so that he can present the team that he wants to assemble & be judged according to results particularly beyond 2017. Go Weststigers!

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme