The Obstruction rule needs to be changed

Keary picks up the ball behind his goalpost and runs 100 metres to score a try. The referee does not blow his whistle until the try is scored and rules obstruction. What happens if Keary is tackled before the line and plays the ball back to a team mate? It would be ruled a try. The obstruction rule needs to be changed.

One of about 10 rules.

@Newtown:

Keary picks up the ball behind his goalpost and runs 100 metres to score a try. The referee does not blow his whistle until the try is scored and rules obstruction. What happens if Keary is tackled before the line and plays the ball back to a team mate? It would be ruled a try. The obstruction rule needs to be changed.

Agreed, the obstruction rule is bloody ridiculous! I don’t remember the refs being so pedantic about it in the old days.

Hardly the rule’s fault. The refs should have pinged it right away.

I’m so glad Keary got that try knocked back.

Petulant little grub.

Im glad Inglis clocked Gal in the head….payback for Turner

The rule was correct, the Souths player deliberately interfered. The refs though should have blown it straight away. It’s like asking for the knock on rule to change as they let the Gordon drop go off the kick off. My god, that is a knock on every day of the week!

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

I thought it was a try. It’s different where you back-pedal and run around your own players, or if you send dummy runners through the line.

But when the opposition puts a crap kick in and most players are somewhere in-between kicker and fielder, what is he supposed to do, run only in open pasture? The Rabbits players just stood there, Keary did not run back and forth behind players, he just took off and for the most part headed straight out of trouble.

Don’t know what the players were supposed to have done, dig foxholes or Keary submit because there were too many bodies around?

@Flippedy:

@Newtown:

Agreed, the obstruction rule is bloody ridiculous! I don’t remember the refs being so pedantic about it in the old days.

I agree. It wasn’t long ago that the refs would only pull up an obstruction if someone was actually obstructed. Now all you need to do is run behind your own player to be penalised, even if no-one was obstructed.

Teddy’s disallowed try against Saints is a case in point. There was no way Frizell was going to prevent the try but it was disallowed and we were penalised. Saints scored off the next set - a 12 point turn-around.

I think we were denied a try in the dying minutes of the game against the Raiders for a technical obstruction, when no-one was actually obstructed. The Raiders scored a try on the back of the penalty on full time.

Two matches we could have won, but for the pedantic interpretation of the obstruction rule.

@mctiger:

The rule was correct, the Souths player deliberately interfered. The refs though should have blown it straight away. It’s like asking for the knock on rule to change as they let the Gordon drop go off the kick off. My god, that is a knock on every day of the week!

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Except against “the Pride of the League” thank God.

@jirskyr:

I thought it was a try. It’s different where you back-pedal and run around your own players, or if you send dummy runners through the line.

But when the opposition puts a crap kick in and most players are somewhere in-between kicker and fielder, what is he supposed to do, run only in open pasture? The Rabbits players just stood there, Keary did not run back and forth behind players, he just took off and for the most part headed straight out of trouble.

Don’t know what the players were supposed to have done, dig foxholes or Keary submit because there were too many bodies around?

It was no try - there was actually 2 things he could have been pinged on - the first was the obstruction on the tryline and the second was a shepherd at about the 10 mtr line. Agreed the problem was the refs not calling immediately.

@diedpretty:

It was no try - there was actually 2 things he could have been pinged on - the first was the obstruction on the tryline and the second was a shepherd at about the 10 mtr line. Agreed the problem was the refs not calling immediately.

I can handle that, but I want it consistently applied. I thought the refs were fine to award the Graham try even though Gallen collided with a defender, but I see that play as being equally as bad as the Keary one. Gallen absolutely collides with Carter, who then has to readjust to the grubber and is centimetres away from reaching the footy.

What about the player that was being obstructed being in front of the kicker and therefore offside……

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme