Mitch Rein

Strong rumors coming out the past couple of days that Dragons are favorites to sign Farah and also that Dragons officials don’t see Mitch Rein as the long term solution to the hooking spot. Tigers are apparently interested in the 25 year old as Dragons already have a young star playing in the 20s which Farah will be mentoring!

Would be a good signing but don’t know what would be the point when we have a future star in Cherrington

MItch Rein is a very good player, Id happily see him come here.

Rumours been around for 3-4 weeks now. Obviously nothing will happen until Robbie gets back in the country though.

It’s funny that now Farah is on the outer how many are saying We’ll lose Cherrington, Or we don’t a starting 9.

What on earth was going to happen to Manaia should Farah have seen his contract out with no problem…

I’d rather that cook. I don’t think robbie will be going anywhere though seeing as he has to agree to it for it to happen

This move all depends on the contracts involved. Rein is off contract in 2016 so we won’t be able to resign him as we will need to resign Taupau. If this move is made we need to sign and extend Cherrington before it is rubber stamped past 2016. I am sold on Cherrington like the look of his game and service out of dummy half for young Brooks.

I would have thought with Cherrington making the NZ squad that he is highly regarded as a hooker. Obviously the Rein option is being touted to simply offload Farah rather than strengthening a position we are weak in at the Tigers. The Tigers require a prop/back rower and centre over another hooker but management may seize upon any available option to remove Farah!!

Big no thanks to Rein.

Farah for Rein would be the worst trade in history.

I can see Rein as a solid ‘hold over’ player that will give Cherrington time to develop into the starting role, without forcing another young player into the starting line-up.

Rein also comes at half the cost of Farah, helps move Farah on (for whatever reason) & provides the club with what I’d consider a ‘hard working’ professional from everything I see & hear about him.

Interesting sidenote- Adam Clydesdale from Newcastle has been told he is ‘free to explore other options’. 2 things- this could open the door for Farah, and why isn’t the Newcastle community up in arms & storming the Knights offices in untempered fury over the release of a contracted player???

so guys…what if cherrington gets injured and we have no backup…oh i forgot we have joel luani.if we let farah go and pickup rein then i would be happy as the dragons will have to pay up his contract the same as we have to for farah.its better for us as we wont have to pay the full price for another hooker.

@Chadman’s Ghost:

Rein also comes at half the cost of Farah, helps move Farah on (for whatever reason) & provides the club with what I’d consider a ‘hard working’ professional from everything I see & hear about him.

Not when we would still be paying a large portion of Farah’s contract

@Chadman’s Ghost:

I can see Rein as a solid ‘hold over’ player that will give Cherrington time to develop into the starting role, without forcing another young player into the starting line-up.

Interesting sidenote- Adam Clydesdale from Newcastle has been told he is ‘free to explore other options’. 2 things- this could open the door for Farah, and why isn’t the Newcastle community up in arms & storming the Knights offices in untempered fury over the release of a contracted player???

Because he hasn’t given over a decade of his life to the club, he also hasn’t given up a significant amount of money for his club and oh he has never won a premiership with his club. Did i forget that he hasnt been inducted in the knights for life club?

@Chadman’s Ghost:

Probably because they are hoping they will get Farah.

Paul Kent quoted a figure of 400K as payment that the Drags currently pay Rein. He said that there were concerns for the Value for money.

At roughly the same $$$ outlay the dragons could get a subsidised Farah.

The trick is to get someone to pick up Rein.

Not at the Tigers, We have Cherrington.

@smithy:

so guys…what if cherrington gets injured and we have no backup…oh i forgot we have joel luani.if we let farah go and pickup rein then i would be happy as the dragons will have to pay up his contract the same as we have to for farah.its better for us as we wont have to pay the full price for another hooker.

Well for starters I question whether the Dragons have anywhere near enough cap to match Farah’s contract so at best we might recoup some of it which we then will at least partially use to buy another hooker. And then we have 2 hookers mid term with a reduced interchange. To me the best way forward is to work something out with Farah whereby he plays 2016 and retires or goes to England in 2017.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme