In your heart of hearts can you see Taylor turning it around?

Lets be real here. Taylor would probably be $1.50 fav to be first coach rolled next year.

Who in their heart of hearts can see JT turning it around?

Our squad is worse again this year, lost more players and no good signings. The pack has no fear factor and with 2 turn styles in defence opposition teams will be salivating at the prospect of just rumbling through the middle and picking off the edges after the damage is done up front.

More important morale on the whole seems low. No confidence or belief in the style of football or the handling of the club captain. Most experts will pick us to run 16th and to be honest its hard to argue with at this moment in time.

Players signing songs about him on Mad Monday. The whole Farah situation. The players went to him last to challenge the style of football they were playing. People can say oh thats all just gossip columns but where there is smoke there is fire. We finished 2nd last and it was a pathetic season on most fronts from in performances and style of play.

Look I hope I am wrong. If we have a decent year and play above ourselves Ill be the first to give him credit. Any near the Top 8 would be a very good season. However my gut feeling is we are in for another year of turmoil and the coach could be in the a rather quick exit.

I reckon my mid year he could be Gone, again hope I am wrong. Maybe closer to the season ill have a bit more confidence. However there just seems a real bad vibe about the place, like there waiting for the inevitable (taylor to get sacked)

My gut feeling is that he has lost the players and whether that right or wrong once that happens the end is not far away

Don’t know, despite the lack of wins I honestly felt we did better than the last 2 years. The back end of last year it was clear that Potter had lost the players, didn’t really feel that was the case this year, despite the Robbie saga.

My main concern is the players I guess, will we have the right mix of quality and experience and will the S&C be able to have a pretty darn good year again?

@Eddie:

Lets be real here. Taylor would probably be $1.50 fav to be first coach rolled next year.

Who in their heart of hearts can see JT turning it around?

Our squad is worse again this year, lost more players and no good signings. The pack has no fear factor and with 2 turn styles in defence opposition teams will be salivating at the prospect of just rumbling through the middle and picking off the edges after the damage is done up front.

More important morale on the whole seems low. No confidence or belief in the style of football or the handling of the club captain. Most experts will pick us to run 16th and to be honest its hard to argue with at this moment in time.

Players signing songs about him on Mad Monday. The whole Farah situation. The players went to him last to challenge the style of football they were playing. People can say oh thats all just gossip columns but where there is smoke there is fire. We finished 2nd last and it was a pathetic season on most fronts from in performances and style of play.

Look I hope I am wrong. If we have a decent year and play above ourselves Ill be the first to give him credit. Any near the Top 8 would be a very good season. However my gut feeling is we are in for another year of turmoil and the coach could be in the a rather quick exit.

I reckon my mid year he could be Gone, again hope I am wrong. Maybe closer to the season ill have a bit more confidence. However there just seems a real bad vibe about the place, like there waiting for the inevitable (taylor to get sacked)

My gut feeling is that he has lost the players and whether that right or wrong once that happens the end is not far away

Eddie although I mightn’t always agree with you , I admit that your comments lack bias

Bringing up the Mad Monday song is Mad , if there was any proof it would certainly be out in you tube world for all to see

Apart from that you make some good points , of course Taylor will probably be favourite to be the first coach gone , but if Farah isn’t here I think the pressures will ease

The first 7-8 Rounds of last season we actually played pretty well.

Everyone was encouraged.

However things feel apart after that.

Taylor needs a similar start this season. Personally I think he is a better chance of winning games with Farah as the 9. Losing the captaincy should be a big enough thing for both to get on with it and make things work.

But yeah I get what your saying, I’m sure he would rather he is gone. But it think if its about winning games and saving his job, Farah can help him.

If Farah plays throughout the season to a level consistent worthy of his contract payment he will survive the year with Wests Tigers as will Taylor. If Farah does not meet this level there is some likelihood that he will not consistently play Wests Tigers first grade but Taylor survives the year.

Had you asked this question about three months ago, or even three weeks ago, there is a good chance that my answer would have been different, but now I say yes, I really do think he can.

Taylor showed he has a sack full and made his bed with the Farah decision. Now he has released less than half a game Harry and restricted by little coin, has recruited a fringe group of players that will give their all in search of an NRL shot. I really got on board with his interviews at the start of the month as for mine he is at ease with his choices and ready to implement them.

This one is just a feeling, but I think Taylor has some nous and is looking forward to the interchange reduction with his assembled squad.

He lost me post the cows game and had he not implemented what I saw as subtle changes from the return Titans game onwards it would have stayed that way, as I was bored to tears watching and we left our seats vacant a couple of times. Happy now to sit next to Taylor on the front bench with fingers crossed whilst he has the reins and will welcome all others as they climb aboard his wagon as the year progresses. Go WT.

Its tough to know if Taylor is really bad and I mean a terrible coach and administrator. The Taylor ball game plans and the Robbie situation are both examples of extremely poor decision making and management of a first grade rugby league team.

On the flip side I think he has turned over a lot of players and I think we may have some better depth next year and possibly have some players surprise on the upside. I think some of these decisions are probably good ones for the club. I also feel Robbie is definitely not worth the money or anywhere close to it that he is being paid.

I think he can survive and turn it around if he gets the game plans right and tries to win games rather than playing the terrible Taylor ball tactics that he pushed earlier last season. He also needs to learn to handle the media better and stop the spin. Assuming he improves on those points and the team performs more consistently and hopefully several players kick on then there is a chance we can improve next year.

For me personally I wouldn’t sack him assuming he gets the most out of the players and makes solid decisions himself all year. If Moses, Brooks, Sironen etc kick on and Taylor proves he can coach I think we can definitely improve. If Taylor proves he can coach then I’d keep him for another year but that doesn’t mean the club will. If he comes out and plays Taylor ball and spins it in the media I think he is gone and the sooner the better.

My heart says hope so my head says no chance.

A big NO from me sorry to say. Expect us to be the whipping boys in 2016 and the Daily Telegraph having a field day with rumours of internal issues to rub it in.

@everett:

A big NO from me sorry to say. Expect us to be the whipping boys in 2016 and the Daily Telegraph having a field day with rumours of internal issues to rub it in.

+1

No one ever will…

If the Club don’t believe he can…Lost the dressing Room before a ball has been kicked in anger in 2016 etc…wouldn’t they realise this now…Are there not people other than Taylor involved in football operations that would have an insight into this…Phil Moss…? Justin Pascoe…? Why are they waiting for 5 10 14 games into the season …

Hold on WE ARE WESTS TIGERS…please

@Tigerdave:

Don’t know, despite the lack of wins I honestly felt we did better than the last 2 years. The back end of last year it was clear that Potter had lost the players, didn’t really feel that was the case this year, despite the Robbie saga.

My main concern is the players I guess, will we have the right mix of quality and experience and will the S&C be able to have a pretty darn good year again?

I agree.
We have improved somewhat… We never dropped our bundle like we have in the past with sheens and Potter… JT has instilled something of a resolve amongst the squad… Lack of injuries maybe helped here… Another terrific improvement.
JT needs a huge amount of. Media training… He comes across very poor… I think I understand what he’s trying to do with the team and in sure he honestly has all the support from upstairs… So his attitude when criticised is a "stuff you " one. It’s not good tho.
Looking at other clubs recruits… And looking at ours… Some getting 2 and 3 marquees in one season while we’ve had 3 in our history… This is endemic at WTs… We get leftovers n matter who is coach… That goes for coaching recruits too… Even sheens was loathed when he left NQ. NO one wanted him.

On next year… I haven’t been confident of a following season for five or six years now.

We are just making up the numbers

@innsaneink:

@Tigerdave:

I agree.
We have improved somewhat… We never dropped our bundle like we have in the past with sheens and Potter… JT has instilled something of a resolve amongst the squad… Lack of injuries maybe helped here… Another terrific improvement.
JT needs a huge amount of. Media training… He comes across very poor… I think I understand what he’s trying to do with the team and in sure he honestly has all the support from upstairs… So his attitude when criticised is a "stuff you " one. It’s not good tho.
Looking at other clubs recruits… And looking at ours… Some getting 2 and 3 marquees in one season while we’ve had 3 in our history… This is endemic at WTs… We get leftovers n matter who is coach… That goes for coaching recruits too… Even sheens was loathed when he left NQ. NO one wanted him.

On next year… I haven’t been confident of a following season for five or six years now.

We are just making up the numbers

I think that’s the issue not who we have recruited and how they will go, but more so how other clubs have strengthened their teams. Even if we play to the best of our ability I just cant see how we can match it against most of the other teams, We lack the resources to attract players from other clubs until we find a way to generate more money we are not competing on a level playing field . Not a fan of how Taylor has managed things - but if this team finishes midtable I think he will have had a pretty good season…… if not well bring on the next one.

IMO they’re taking the right steps off the field, it will take time for those steps to translate into success on the field. It will take some time to wash away the stink of being a deadbeat club who can’t handle their finances and “treat players poorly” (if a couple of jaded juniors who left and a player manager implicated in match fixing are to be believed.)

We can turn it around. Hopefully Pascoe and the board become routinely proactive.

Will we be in contention next year? No chance. Will we improve? Depends how Farah’s ordeal has impacted the other players. Do they play with the knowledge now that the club doesn’t consider any player bigger than the club, or does it breed complacency with the knowledge that no matter what you do for the club you’re still considered expendable? Even if they don’t agree with Taylor’s action on face value, they need to be professional enough to give it a go and see where it gets them, they may be pleasantly surprised.

I believe in what Taylor is saying and trying to do. We do need a change and to develop a professional culture. However I don’t know that he is going the right way about bringing in this change or that he has the strength of character and the charisma to inspire such a change and lead the group to his way of thinking. I don’t see Taylor lasting the full 3 years of his contract.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.