Our new squad, depth and competition!

So after all that was in 2015 we do have quite a bit to look forward to in 2016. Perhaps not glowing results but we have made a ton of cheap signings. Which of our new guys do you see making the most impact and will be our best signing?

I’ve included some potential debutants and inexperienced guys that were already here.

When you look at it, it’s rather mind boggling just what we’ve gone and done with what was supposed to be a horrible salary cap position. Our depth is going to be a strength. What was a very top heavy squad with zero depth, now features a heap of hungry players with a taste of first grade and age appropriate experience. There are a few players though that I am not sure of. The competition is going to be utterly fierce!

In

Michael Chee Kam
Jack Littlejohn
Jordan Rankin
Justin Hunt
Matt Ballin
Rod Griffin
Billy McConachie
Josh Ailoai
Josh Addo-Carr
Jesse Parahi
Joel Edwards
Dallas Graham
Marion Seve
Watson Heleta

Out

Pat Richards
Martin Taupau
Keith Galloway
Keith Lulia
Tim Moltzen
Joel Luani
Te Maire Martin
Sitaleki Akauola
Salesi Funaki

Unsure

Kurtis Rowe
Nathan Milone
Brenden Santi
John Sila
Robbie Farah

Anyone know of the status of the bottom four (Farah aside)?

If somehow we keep Farah we will have a remarkable squad to be honest. Even without him. Surely with that much talent to analyse in the pre-season we can put together a formidable team. I hope that Taylor and his new look coaching team are good talent evaluators. Then you look at our NYC players, that team was very good, especially defensively and especially in the forwards with the likes of Felise, Tatola, Sironen, Stone, Marsters, Cassell looking very impressive.

I’m actually extremely excited.

Incindetally the number of ins, vs. outs in this list is exactly the same. 😲

Pretty sure Santi hit the bricks.

As i said in another thread, i think the Farah fiasco made people forget the improvement the side made towards the end of the yr. The gameplan had changed and the halves were playing with more freedom. But people who only want to talk about the worst will talk about JT’s horrible tactics (which they were) but refuse to talk about the improvement made. There’s no reason why we can’t finish as high as 10th next yr, and that would be an improvement, and with an injection of a splash in the open market we’ll be a genuine chance at the 8 in 2017, and that is when JT can fall on his sword or be re-signed.

@MacDougall:

So after all that was in 2015 we do have quite a bit to look forward to in 2016. Perhaps not glowing results but we have made a ton of cheap signings. Which of our new guys do you see making the most impact and will be our best signing?

I’ve included some potential debutants and inexperienced guys that were already here.

When you look at it, it’s rather mind boggling just what we’ve gone and done with what was supposed to be a horrible salary cap position. Our depth is going to be a strength. What was a very top heavy squad with zero depth, now features a heap of hungry players with a taste of first grade and age appropriate experience. There are a few players though that I am not sure of. The competition is going to be utterly fierce!

In

Michael Chee Kam
Jack Littlejohn
Jordan Rankin
Justin Hunt
Matt Ballin
Rod Griffin
Billy McConachie
Josh Ailoai
Josh Addo-Carr
Jesse Parahi
Joel Edwards
Dallas Graham
Marion Seve
Watson Heleta

Out

Pat Richards
Martin Taupau
Keith Galloway
Keith Lulia
Tim Moltzen
Joel Luani
Te Maire Martin
Sitaleki Akauola
Salesi Funaki

Unsure

Kurtis Rowe
Nathan Milone
Brenden Santi
John Sila
Robbie Farah

Anyone know of the status of the bottom four (Farah aside)?

If somehow we keep Farah we will have a remarkable squad to be honest. Even without him. Surely with that much talent to analyse in the pre-season we can put together a formidable team. I hope that Taylor and his new look coaching team are good talent evaluators. Then you look at our NYC players, that team was very good, especially defensively and especially in the forwards with the likes of Felise, Tatola, Sironen, Stone, Marsters, Cassell looking very impressive.

I’m actually extremely excited.

Incindetally the number of ins, vs. outs in this list is exactly the same. 😲

I am really excited about this but it seems that no one else is.

When you look at that list of departures there are only two players that i wouldn’t have in my side. Lulia and Luani.

The new recruits aren’t all that exciting, i like the two qld cup boys and Rankin but thats about it.

@Milky:

When you look at that list of departures there are only two players that i wouldn’t have in my side. Lulia and Luani.

The new recruits aren’t all that exciting, i like the two qld cup boys and Rankin but thats about it.

Moltzen?

Look, you’re right that many of those guys are NRL level talent, but what I think you are overlooking in this conversation (I don’t think you aren’t aware of it) is that the Tigers were/are a club in need of a cultural shift that bringing in new talent is the perfect remedy for. A squad of players conditioned to failure and mediocrity replaced by hungry talent of reasonably equal talent is not a bad thing at all. That is why I was in favour of even moving Farah on, because he is the epicentre of the culture. It’s exactly why Penrith let Lewis and Jennings go. Exactly why Brisbane let Petero and Wally Lewis go. It’s tactical and is no reflection on them as skilled players. It’s about change. Change for any organisation is necessary for growth and development of the organisation as a whole. It’s business 101.

Sure Galloway, Taupau, Richards and even Akauola, Funaki and Martin are genuinely talented footballers but Galloway and Richards are aged, Akauola has clearly got in his own way mentally, Funaki and Martin are prodigious but untested.

We’ve brought in guys like Edwards, Hunt and Chee Kam who would be absolutely champing at the bit for this opportunity. Don’t you rate Addo-Carr?

Then there’s the fact that the majority of the list didn’t even play first grade in 2015, so how can you call them losses? We’ve replaced fringe players, with different fringe players to have a different look at the core unit with other talents around them. It’s excellent tactical squad management in my opinion.

Jesse Parahi looks good at steping and tackling

Parahi is a complete mystery. He’s 100/1 to become an NRL player but who the heck knows!?

The only signing we’ve made that has me a little bit unsure is Jack Littlejohn. I remember watching him in 20s and thinking he lacked certain abilities and his time at Manly didn’t change that. I watched his intro video on the Tigers website and he came across very unsure of himself and talked about maybe getting a shot with injury and already like he’d resigned himself to playing NSW cup permanently here. Realistic maybe, but I’d have liked to have heard him say he was here to play first grade and keep Brooks and Moses honest! Some fire, some self belief!

It’s strange because I think there are clubs in the NRL that would have taken him that he’d have had a genuine shot of starting Round 1 despite me not rating him.

Perhaps Taylor rates him highly and actively sought him out.

I’m keen to see the Madness play first grade. I have heard good things about Chee Kam. I fear however that Taylor regardless will still play the same team more or less as this year. I’m also concerned about Cherrington now we have Ballin and Farah. Our halves are rubbish too. 2k16 is going to be a long one for us lads

@2cents:

I’m keen to see the Madness play first grade. I have heard good things about Chee Kam. I fear however that Taylor regardless will still play the same team more or less as this year. I’m also concerned about Cherrington now we have Ballin and Farah. Our halves are rubbish too. 2k16 is going to be a long one for us lads

Yikes, I feel like I’ve gotta pump you up mate! 😆

What gives you the impression that Taylor would do that? He gave a lot of players a genuine taste this year and he’s just gone and acquired a ton of outside talent!?

To say our halves are rubbish is nuts! Brooks and Moses carved up some quality sides. They just need to be consistent and Taylor needs to give them tactical direction specific to the opponent, and that’s where I doubt Taylor. He had a gameplan that worked against certain types of sides astonishingly, but we were very one style and it got us toweled up by other sides. If you look at results we put good and bad sides to the sword and got mopped up by some terrible sides. We need some variance in our style of play. Perhaps even horses for courses.

Kurtis Rowe signed with Gold Coast’s Queensland Cup team.

@GNR4LIFE:

As i said in another thread, i think the Farah fiasco made people forget the improvement the side made towards the end of the yr. The gameplan had changed and the halves were playing with more freedom. But people who only want to talk about the worst will talk about JT’s horrible tactics (which they were) but refuse to talk about the improvement made. There’s no reason why we can’t finish as high as 10th next yr, and that would be an improvement, and with an injection of a splash in the open market we’ll be a genuine chance at the 8 in 2017, and that is when JT can fall on his sword or be re-signed.

I think that this is pretty fair assessment excluding the comments made about other people. I think its a rare JT supporter who admits his tactics were terrible. If that was admitted more often it would be a lot easier to listen to people supporting him.

As for the squad I’ll wait and see how these guys perform. We don’t have any big name signings but personally I don’t care. I’m hopeful the club has chosen well.

We have lost seasoned first graders and for the most part signed prospects.
It rests on the improvement of Farah,Brooks, Moses, Nofo, Simona, Sironen, Sue and Ava. I place Farah in this group as he was poor last year albeit with injury.

We need a bit of luck to stumble on some solid performers from our recruitment which, I think will be Ado-Carr, Chee-Kam in the backs and in the forwards I can see Edwards and a bolter in Esan Marsters doing well.

The biggest positive is Taylor coming out and backing Farah to play if he is good enough which, we all know he is the best dummy half @ WT.

@Sabre:

Kurtis Rowe signed with Gold Coast’s Queensland Cup team.

I really like Rowe, he showed some great signs when he replaced Tedesco in firsts. Wish we could have held onto him.

@stevetiger:

@GNR4LIFE:

I think that this is pretty fair assessment excluding the comments made about other people. I think its a rare JT supporter who admits his tactics were terrible. If that was admitted more often it would be a lot easier to listen to people supporting him.

As for the squad I’ll wait and see how these guys perform. We don’t have any big name signings but personally I don’t care. I’m hopeful the club has chosen well.

But I don’t consider myself a JT supporter. I’m just not calling for his head. I’m happy for him to see out his term and then judge him. People saying he’ll be sacked early next haven’t exactly thought things through. I doubt the club will want to pay out half his contract. Then on top of that sign another coach, if we can even attract one then. There comes a time where you just have to stick solid with someone and allow them to do what you’re paying them to do. Anyone who thinks sacking JT would solve the clubs problems and we’d be an instant top 8 team is deluded.

So many on here complain that most of our current first grade squad are only there on potential, yet of all the signings made there is only one guy who has played regular first grade - Matt Ballin.
If Farah stays then, on current form, Ballin should be in reggies.
We seriously need some of these other guys to make the step up.
The reality is we will be lucky if more than a few will make it as regular first graders - but I’m hoping!

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.