How can you make the NRL fair

Obviously with all this draw controversy popping its head up there needs to be a way to make the draw fair. My solution would be to use an American competition based confrences system. Where you have 2 pools of 8. You play each team in your pool twice so 14 games then the other 8 teams once. Giving a total of 22 games. Chuck in two byes it turns into a 24 rd competition.

The finals are then decided by either one of two ways. the top four from each conference play off in a round robin (only 3 games) and the winners of each conference play each other in the gf so teams play a total of 26 games if they win the comp.

the other finals method would involve the three teams with the most points from the regualar season automatically qualify and then the next four best teams overall play knock out games against one other to earn the other 2 spots in the final before a knockout competition determines the winner overall.

❓ It would be fairer if the third party payments were made illegal!

cut down to twelve teams, a home and away draw. bottom 2 teams get relegated each year.

EDIT: not sure how this might make it fairer, but i like this idea anyway

Make the clubs become self supporting

If they can’t they go

Hand outs should be going to the junior clubs and country teams

30 rounds: one home and away game against each side, abolish the bye, SOO at the end of the season, increase your top squad to 30. One home and away game is the only way it’ll ever be fair on the field.

All club “TPA’s” to be abolished, make the players chase their own TPA’s, and as such let them carry them between clubs (if they cannot already.)

@ferret:

You cannot stop someone from profiting from their IP (i.e. image/brand)

It is a restraint of trade.

@Cultured Bogan:

@ferret:

No but you can make all payments be included in the cap.
As for being a restraint of trade, the entire Cap is a restraint of trade, the same as the AFL.

TPA’s only make the rich and high end clubs richer. They should be abolished completely.

@goldcoast tiger:

@Cultured Bogan:

@ferret:

No but you can make all payments be included in the cap.
As for being a restraint of trade, the entire Cap is a restraint of trade, the same as the AFL.

A salary cap isn’t a restraint of trade for players, more so for clubs. Players can freely move to whichever club they like and/or earn the money on offer by the highest bidder in the market. If their current club cannot keep them, they can earn the coin elsewhere which is no different to anyone else in the workplace. As a rule of thumb above average to top tier players salaries are rising significantly, I’d like to see whether they’re actually rising above the rate of cap increases, because I’d suspect they are.

What happened with Dennis Tutty was a restraint of trade. A draft could be argued as a restraint of trade as you wouldn’t be able to ply your trade at the workplace of your choice (ala Terry Hill.)

I know we’re at a disadvantage with TPA’s, but you cannot stop people from maximising their earnings from their brand. There’s nothing stopping you from being approached by Coles to do a commercial for $10K on top of what you earn with your current employer (provided there’s not a conflict of interest.) Why should footy players be any different?

I know we’re at a disadvantage with TPA’s, but you cannot stop people from maximising their earnings from their brand. There’s nothing stopping you from being approached by Coles to do a commercial for $10K on top of what you earn with your current employer (provided there’s not a conflict of interest.) Why should footy players be any different?

yep, and thats the dodgy part. Surely its the clubs ala their employer that are organising the tpas to be extra payment to them above the salary cap and make the overall move to their club much more attrctive. completely dodgy

@fairdinkum:

yep, and thats the dodgy part. Surely its the clubs ala their employer that are organising the tpas to be extra payment to them above the salary cap and make the overall move to their club much more attrctive. completely dodgy

If you can prove the club negotiated the TPA well then it becomes suspect. But most can’t.

I like the idea of a 30 week setup - it’s 100% fair like CB said.

Increase the salary cap to 9 million per club, and most importantly increase the minimum wage of a first grade player to $150,000 for the top 30 squad.

This also equates to $300,000 per player per year on average across the squad - this counteracts the argument of the season being too punishing, as the bottom end players being put through the rigours of an NRL season are now on decent enough coin to go through it.

I’d still look at making it a 33 week season allowing for state of origin during the season on standalone weekends, with 37 including the finals. Approx March 1st season start to November 15 end of season or thereabouts. All due care and checks in place during March/April regarding weather conditions in the far north, etc - possibly making mandatory drinks breaks at the 20 minute mark for the first 4 rounds of the seasons (At every game even if weather is not an issue, to keep it fair)

Eliminate Golden point by making it golden try with ZERO interchanges after the final whistle, However during the break between fulltime and extra time as many changes as the coach requires is permitted before running back on to the paddock. No penalty goals to be kicked in extra time - To stop repeated penalties on the goal line, sin binning in extra time becomes mandatory after three consecutive penalties inside the opposition 20m. Fatigue now becomes the issue - who wants it more?

Possibly a situation where the losing team still gets one point going down in extra time

Video ref bunker is brilliant, and should be used - forward passes should be allowed to be checked and called back.

They’d be the game fixes I’d make.

@Cultured Bogan:

@fairdinkum:

If you can prove the club negotiated the TPA well then it becomes suspect. But most can’t.

blind freedy can see this is what clubs do, of course where is the paperwork though? must be like Melbournes other book. logic and commonsense can see this is the case though. Clubs are involved in TPAs

Clearly the clubs are involved, how can players going to other clubs obtain tpas greater then what we can offer, that is whether they get any at all coming to the Tigers. Apparently it has nothing to do with the clubs?? In your example its all about “the players” marketing ability, it simply cant be the case as a marquee player should be able to sign with us for the same dollars on the salary cap as we see marquee players year after year continuously sign with richer clubs but they dont sign here because elsewhere they get topped up with tpas that these richer clubs offer. suspect indeed.

@fairdinkum:

@Cultured Bogan:

@fairdinkum:

blind freedy can see this is what clubs do, of course where is the paperwork though? must be like Melbournes other book. logic and commonsense can see this is the case though. Clubs are involved in TPAs

Clearly the clubs are involved, how can players going to other clubs obtain tpas greater then what we can offer, that is whether they get any at all coming to the Tigers. Apparently it has nothing to do with the clubs?? In your example its all about “the players” marketing ability, it simply cant be the case as a marquee player should be able to sign with us for the same dollars on the salary cap as we see marquee players year after year continuously sign with richer clubs but they dont sign here because elsewhere they get topped up with tpas that these richer clubs offer. suspect indeed.

I agree with you FD. I’m saying if there isn’t a paper trail you cannot police it though. Most clubs are smart enough to do that. If all club interactions are done verbally you cannot pin it on the club. The clubs would likely source the TP and discuss the framework of the deal, introduce the TP to the player manager and then let it run it’s course from there.

You cannot police TPA’s, but you cannot ban them either.

How can you make the NRL fair……

A bit like asking how much can a koala bare…

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.