The Game Plan...

Can all you guys (You know who you are) Stop rambling on about the Game Plan and how it’s not working for the Wests Tigers Players. It’s total crap!! Here’s a few points for you….

I was at the Cowboys game where we were behind a couple points with 3-4 minutes to go (Been held to zero), And Moses kicked for touch on the last (Or maybe the 4th) There would be no game plan in any place that would tell you to play like you are 20 ahead at the death when you’re behind - And in fact haven’t scored at all in 76 minutes, Against a rubbish team…

You people talk like you’re in the sheds, And on the paddock every day and know what the plan is?? -

Maybe it’s the WT’s proven history of not being able to take instruction, Or the WT’s proven history of not pulling the clutch play when it’s all on the line? Or maybe it’s the WT’s culture of young stars being able to dictate terms to the Establishment that is the problem?? Maybe we have a problem of all the best kids to come through and don’t have to listen to anyone, Ever!! Maybe that’s the problem?? Maybe it’s the WT’s culture of not picking a team based on form, And once you’re top 17 - If fit, You play… Maybe that’s the problem?
Maybe our players aren’t clever enough to understand what the coach wants from them?

I’ve heard Woods speak of the Coach we have (That no one rates) and he says something along the lines of “He’s the Coach, It’s his job to coach, It’s my job to listen” No matter which way you look at it this is our most senior member of the team speaking - No, Not on paper, Not in the record books… But he has played the most Footy at the highest levels in the last 2 years than anyone else. He’s been around all the big guns… He knows his job, his place, This place and what’s expected of him.

The best game we played this year (And I’ve seen them all more than once) was the Rabbitohs’ game - We bashed them up the middle, We took it to them and they couldn’t roll with us… (Even though we only pulled it off for 60 minutes though)
WHEN, WHEN have the Wests Tigers ever played like this? Not since Walker, Stimson, Lowrie, Mescia and McCracken. You could argue we did it a little at the start of 14.
Benji could have played his career with diamond stud earrings in and a cross on a chain wrapped round his neck and it would have been the same. How many times I watched our big guns come off, Not barely knocked up and looking like they were wrapped in fresh Linen…

Maybe our Coaches plan is to teach these kids how to play Footy? Because from what I’ve seen of them through the grades- they only know how to score tries!! That’s 30% of Footy - IF THAT!!.
Maybe his plan is to teach them how to reach the top when you’re not streets ahead of the opposition, Maybe his plan is to FINALLY, FINALLY teach the Wests Tigers how to get dirty? What it’s like to feel like you’ve won even though the scoreboard doesn’t say it…

The guys this club was built around, Guys like Ben Galea, Darren Senter and Mark O’Neill are long, long gone… Guys who punched above their weight every week, every year for most of their careers - Guys that were made of pure guts… Not a lot of talent but spades of ticker…

These boys need to learn that winning is not every thing, But if, IF you can get through a game where you can honestly say that you left it all out there… Then (With the talent we have) Win after win is not far behind that.

I’m not a Taylor fan, Not by any stretch… Not yet anyhow,
But I’m also not a hater

• Maybe his plan is to teach these Boys (And most of them are boys) is that this is not U12’s - the Wests Tigers are not up against teams week in week out that you and your mates from school know you can run rings around.
    This is the NRL, This is as hard as it gets… This is what they’ve dreamed of their whole lives, And if they want to make it - They’re gonna have to be tougher than they’ve ever had to be…

I honestly believe if you want it, And you earn it - Nobody can ever take it from you…
We’ve never earnt it, And to be honest - A Lot of times, I am not convinced we wanted it. Winning it because you can is never the same as earning it.

Maybe that’s the coaches plan? Maybe his positive spin on the worst of games is trying to teach these kids to be winners, Real Winners - Not just the guy that is faster in a better team or has a better step than the other guy.
Our club motto should be Ben Galeas tackle on Bowen in the GF - A tackle he had no right to make, A game changing tackle that was built on desire and belief.

Robbie is here to stay, Taylor has had a season to test the metal of what he has - Add and subtract to it as best he can… Let’s just be the best we can be.
Punters that have us on a hiding to nothing, will be very, very surprised…

We have A LOT of depth this year… You know how it goes, The more sheep in the paddock - The hungrier they get!!

WT2016 - This will be the year that shocks us all…
BRING IT ON!!

World class rant….congrats.

quote=“stryker”]World class rant….congrats.

Just how I see it Stryk…. And I’m a very fast typer!!

I have it on good authority that the NRL team will be much fitter this year, compared to last year.

Great post batboy, couldn’t agree more!!!

Good to get that out of your system, hey Batboy?
It’s a long off season, and a good rant does you good… 😉
Good post by the way.

Great post. I too am sick of the whinging and constant blame game. I’m not a fan of how Taylor went about 2014 but I’m not an NRL coach and I only see a fraction of what is really going on.

Signing players like Edwards and the Ipswitch boys are an indication of where we need to be heading. No glitz and glamour signings, give us hard nuts who are hungry for first grade and ready to put everything on the line. Players who don’t want to play for Tigers should be shown the door.

Key I reckon will come to our fitness

JT’s single goal should be to make this the fittest side in the comp , the side no matter what the scoreline they keep coming after you , wanting to hurt you

The side that doesn’t give a damn about reputations and goes about trying to destroy every reputations in this comp

Wears the jersey with pride every week Works as a team for the team , no questions asked , no thanks expected

If your not making a run , your a decoy , not making a tackle , bloody trying to help someone who is

I like the coaches back to basics approach , many of the young blokes from our club don’t have many good role models as players / leaders to choose from

They just see egos walking around with heads bigger than their pay checks

I can’t predict what will happen , on paper it doesn’t look good

But football games aren’t won on paper , win the games we should win for a starter

Go into the season with a siege mentality like Manly do , everyone is writing you off , stick everyone’s (including mine ) opinions where the sun doesn’t shine and make us eat humble pie

@happy tiger:

Key I reckon will come to our fitness

JT’s single goal should be to make this the fittest side in the comp , the side no matter what the scoreline they keep coming after you , wanting to hurt you

The side that doesn’t give a damn about reputations and goes about trying to destroy every reputations in this comp

Wears the jersey with pride every week Works as a team for the team , no questions asked , no thanks expected

If your not making a run , your a decoy , not making a tackle , bloody trying to help someone who is

I like the coaches back to basics approach , many of the young blokes from our club don’t have many good role models as players / leaders to choose from

They just see egos walking around with heads bigger than their pay checks

I can’t predict what will happen , on paper it doesn’t look good

But football games aren’t won on paper , win the games we should win for a starter

Go into the season with a siege mentality like Manly do , everyone is writing you off , stick everyone’s (including mine ) opinions where the sun doesn’t shine and make us eat humble pie

Happy I agree 100%, basically it’s their only chance when you look at our roster and it is not a impossible task,but as you said they have to go right back to basics and create a siege mentality and a real team environment. Let’s hope some players are willing to put the team in front of their fragile egoes

on the 5th tackle kick deep to the corners.
have a defensive line that does not let any player past.
do not try to score off every play, gain field position, and build momentum.
don’t ever let a leading score be run down.
kick more field goals.

have the team’s smaller stature blokes be able to easily identify fatigued bigger opponents, and run around them

Game plan is simple: score more points than the other team.

@westTAHger:

on the 5th tackle kick deep to the corners.
have a defensive line that does not let any player past.
do not try to score off every play, gain field position, and build momentum.
don’t ever let a leading score be run down.
kick more field goals.

have the team’s smaller stature blokes be able to easily identify fatigued bigger opponents, and run around them

Can I add …have the team’s smaller stature blokes tackle so the fatigued bigger opponents don’t run straight over the top of them…

I take your point, but from my understanding the most experienced coaches build the gameplan around the players they have whilst they implement subtle changes over time through recruitment and retention.

Taylor has stated many a time he wants to change the on field culture and toughen up the teams defense by focussing more-so on defense. That was his gameplan for most of the year.

He got it wrong in 2015 imo. Only when the playmakers pulled him aside and asked for a bit more freedom to play what they see did we look more dangerous with the ball.

I’m all for Taylors long term goal of a stronger defensive outfit, but he didn’t have the players for that as he inhereted past coaches rosters. It should be one step at a time.

Moses and Brooks especially aren’t ready to play that way imo (there body’s just aren’t ready). Let them develop their attacking skills in first grade whilst making improvements in defense. Thats what got them where they are in 1st grade.

There is just no way with such a young, inexperienced roster with a lot of fringe first graders that Taylor will turn them into one of the best defensive outfits in the NRL.

Its not ideal, but the club threw them early and now want them to defend like seasoned 25 year olds. Just not going to happen and if Taylor (or praying Cleary) box the playmakers up, then we will finish simlar to 2015 in 2016.

Game plan???

Is five hit ups and a mid field bomb a game plan now.

Ok…so that didnt work,what next?

@ghost:

Game plan???

Is five hit ups and a mid field bomb a game plan now.

Ok…so that didnt work,what next?

Well be employing this one…

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2015/07/31/match_highlights_nrl.html

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.