NRL clubs reach funding deal...

NRL clubs reach funding deal with ARLC after 10-hour meeting
33 minutes ago
Dean RitchieThe Daily Telegraph

FINALLY, peace has been reached between the NRL and its fed-up clubs.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal under-pressure ARL Commission chairman John Grant relented on Wednesday and agreed to give all 16 clubs the additional funding they have demanded for the past three months.

It was a landmark agreement.

The deal was brokered at a marathon 10-hour meeting inside League Central on Wednesday. Final figures are yet to be settled but clubs got what they wanted - more money.

Grant is expected to formally trumpet the deal at a press conference today, which is the reason why NRL officials refused to release a media statement late last night.

“Today was a really constructive meeting and the progress we hoped to make today was made,” said spokesman for the clubs, Bart Campbell, chairman of the Melbourne Storm.

The combined outlay under the new deal from the NRL to the clubs is believed to be about $70 million.

One club chairman said: “We are in broad agreement, a heads of agreement if you like. We are in agreement over the commercial principles. We still need to work through some detail but we are pretty much on the same page.

“Timing and detail still have to be worked out but we can now go forward, which is good.”

Asked had peace been reached, the chairman said: “Yes, definitely.”

Chairpersons seeking additional funding from a cashed-up NRL walked into League Central at 10am on Wednesday and didn’t emerge until 8pm. The meeting was being dubbed the most important among clubs and officials for the past five years.

All club chairpersons attended the meeting along with the eight commissioners.

It was anticipated that the meeting would be heated and dramatic. Clubs have been seeking increased funding for three months now, each attempt blocked by Grant.

There appears to be no further moves to oust Grant, as club chairpersons had previously threatened.

“I don’t think he buckled - it was just time to get on with it,” a chairman said of Grant. “The NRL realised that.”

The clubs were seeking approval for a nine point plan which included annual grants being lifted to 130 per cent of the salary cap - equating to $13m a year should the salary cap be increased to $10m - money that would help run the increasing costs of running football departments, in particular the spiralling costs of an NRL head coach.

Clubs were also seeking a 30 per cent share of future NRL profits, approval of the NRL’s budget, independent review of NRL costs, a review of the ARL Commission constitution and ensuring participation licences are indefinite. They also sought to be given $3m immediately from the NRL.

Twelve clubs still haven’t signed participation contracts to play in the NRL after 2017. Clubs claim the game has “gone past” the days when poker machines propped up teams financially.

Although denied by Grant, the clubs lost a combined total of $40m a season.

Going into the meeting, Cowboys chairman Laurence Lancini was asked whether Grant was safe.

“Absolutely, why wouldn’t he be?,” Lancini said.

The NRL CEOs are due to meet on Thursday.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-clubs-reach-funding-deal-with-arlc-after-10-hour-meeting/story-fni3fbgz-1227631682434?utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=TelegraphSport&utm_medium=Facebook

So happy that NRL is concerned about the drop in Juniors numbers and funding country football

But who cares as long as 450-500 elite footballers are happy

The ARLC would be crazy to agree to ‘indefinite licenses’ and approval of the ‘NRL Budgets’…

Tell them to sign or bugger off and form your own competition!

@happy tiger:

So happy that NRL is concerned about the drop in Juniors numbers and funding country football

But who cares as long as 450-500 elite footballers are happy

Club Chaiman aren’t interested in the players, they are only fighting for their own existence as football clubs… Those long lunches and international trips for the old boys aren’t cheap these days!

There’s plenty of money left over Happy. They could spend more on junior and bush footy but they choose not to.

Since NSWRL QRL and CRL look after junior and bush footy perhaps you could ask them Happy…I’m sure they too will be asking for their share of the pie…

This thread is about the NRL…

interestingly, there is still a confusion on the bodies running the game through the media… The TV Deal is negotiated through the ARLC and encompasses the rights for NRL; NSWRL; QRL; Indigenous TV & NZ TV. Prior to the current deal, the individual bodies negotiated there own, but Mr Grant decided to steal it back as a self-promotion tool to combat the high dollars AFL were spruiking.

Obviously the NRL is a huge tool to attract the dollars and its only fair the clubs/players receive a negotiated slice, but I for one are getting sick and tied of listening about Club Chairman & CEO’s crying poor, all in all while they flippantly throwing away good coin after bad year after year.

Clint Newton isnt far behind them on their greedy campaign of threats and boycotts etc.

Giving more money to Men of League and Junior Clubs is a high priority on my list!

Interestingly - Does anyone follow Paul Langmack on Twitter?
From what I can gather, He seems to have something to do with NSWRL

• But all he does is attend concerts and events.

It’s mind boggling….

Them old boys out for lunch 3 times a week - Need to be shot.

@Tiger Watto:

interestingly, there is still a confusion on the bodies running the game through the media… The TV Deal is negotiated through the ARLC and encompasses the rights for NRL; NSWRL; QRL; Indigenous TV & NZ TV. Prior to the current deal, the individual bodies negotiated there own, but Mr Grant decided to steal it back as a self-promotion tool to combat the high dollars AFL were spruiking.

Obviously the NRL is a huge tool to attract the dollars and its only fair the clubs/players receive a negotiated slice, but I for one are getting sick and tied of listening about Club Chairman & CEO’s crying poor, all in all while they flippantly throwing away good coin after bad year after year.

Clint Newton isnt far behind them on their greedy campaign of threats and boycotts etc.

Giving more money to Men of League and Junior Clubs is a high priority on my list!

Not all of us are confused about how it works Watto…

Perhaps if the men of NSWRL QRL CRL fell on their swords and realised they are surplus to needs …the ARLC could streamline the administration of junior and bush footy eliminating bureaucracy… then it may become a higher priority…

What I wonder is do the NRL clubs have KPIs they need to meet to ensure they get the full funding?

I would have concerns about handing over large quantities of cash to independent bodies, who might flitter it away with bad business practice, then come back like young Oliver.

@Geo.:

@Tiger Watto:

Not all of us are confused about how it works Watto…

Perhaps if the men of NSWRL QRL CRL fell on their swords and realised they are surplus to needs …the ARLC could streamline the administration of junior and bush footy eliminating bureaucracy… then it may become a higher priority…

and State Governments! Get rid of them to and allow funding from Federal to Councils [closer to the people] flow.

$100m will be invested into grass roots footy each year, starting from 2018, Happy. To be fair that’s a decent amount of cash injection, and thoroughly needed. They do seem to want to commit to building the game from the bottom up finally. How long it takes to see change from the systems implemented is worrying though.

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-club-funding-…1/default.aspx

Perpetual licencing as a condition is brilliant for us at the moment. I assume that means relocation is off the table and only going broke would render our licence invalid.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.