Funaki signs with Bronco's

http://www.nrl.com/broncos-sign-former-wests-tiger/tabid/10874/newsid/91084/default.aspx
Broncos sign former Wests Tiger

Tony Webeck Thu 03 Dec, 2015, 3:10pm
By Tony Webeck ‌, Chief Queensland Correspondent, NRL.com
EMAIL PRINT
Broncos sign former Wests Tiger
The Broncos have signed Salesi Funaki from the Wests Tigers. Credit: Robb Cox. Copyright: NRL Photos
Promising forward Salesi Funaki has joined the Broncos from the Wests Tigers on a two-year deal that will see him reunite with a number of Junior Kangaroo teammates.

The 20-year-old was a member of the Tigers full-time NRL squad in 2015 but a knee injury kept him sidelined for much of the season and he is now chasing his NRL dream in Brisbane where he is embracing a fresh start.

“I felt like I was too comfortable down in Sydney,” Funaki told Broncos.com.au.

"I thought coming up here would get me out of my comfort zone and train harder.

"I think being away from my family and everything like that will make me train harder. It is like a fresh start. [Brisbane] is very different to where I am from.

“It is way slower, but it is nice.”

Funaki was used off the bench in the Junior Kangaroos’ 22-20 win over the Junior Kiwis during the representative round where he played alongside current Brisbane players Joe Ofahengaue, Jayden Berrell and Jai Arrow.

Visit broncos.com.au for the full story.

When dis happen….Good luck young fella

@Geo.:

Today I think, saw a telegraph report, thought I would get another source before believing it.

Very disappointed to read about this, how hard did the suits try and prevent this from happening?.

@851:

@Geo.:

Today I think, saw a telegraph report, thought I would get another source before believing it.

Before halfway through the season word was out he was off to the Broncs. He’ll go well under Bennett and will become a very good player.

@GoldXR50Leroy:

Very disappointed to read about this, how hard did the suits try and prevent this from happening?.

Word on the street was that Taylor didn’t rate him.

This is old news… I rate this kid and reckon he is a far better prospect than Lioleveve.

Another year or two, and Wayne will sort out his concentration to become a household name in the NRL.

Wish he was a Queenslander!

As much as I love the tigers, I know where I would sign if offered to be mentored by Bennett or Taylor.

@tsjonathan:

As much as I love the tigers, I know where I would sign if offered to be mentored by Bennett or Taylor.

Trouble is you would have to live in a state that is supposedly beautiful on e day and then racked with storms and floods the next.

i broke this 1/2 way through the season, taylor told him he had no place at the tigers. hope he goes on to play for aust and taylor burns in hell.

I can’t cop a player who says they were too comfortable. So you didn’t make it because you got lazy?

At least put some spin on it and say “I moved for greater challenges” or “wished to find more self-improvement”.

@bp tiger:

i broke this 1/2 way through the season, taylor told him he had no place at the tigers. hope he goes on to play for aust and taylor burns in hell.

Kid had some talent , but if he needs to move states to get motivated I seriously doubt he will play for Australia

Only so much a coach can do , in the end its still up to the player to find the inner drive to succeed through hell or high water

That’s what makes you the best in the end

Had plenty of issues with discipline and attitude - not a great loss IMO.

I wonder who Taylor does rate? Lovett?

@jirskyr:

I can’t cop a player who says they were too comfortable. So you didn’t make it because you got lazy?

At least put some spin on it and say “I moved for greater challenges” or “wished to find more self-improvement”.

Yeah I’m not sure how someone who hasn’t played a game and had a serious injury that kept him sidelined for most of the year would feel “comfortable”.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.