QLD Legend blasts QRL over Coach...

Queensland great Billy Moore throws up Cameron Smith as possible Maroons captain-coach
December 10, 2015 12:20pm
Ben GloverFOX SPORTS

QUEENSLAND legend Billy Moore says the QRL has made a mistake by offering Paul Green the Maroons coaching job ahead of natural successor Kevin Walters.

The Courier-Mail on Wednesday reported that Walters had been passed over for the job, with the Cowboys premiership coach installed as the preferred option, even though he would have to juggle the job with his full-time club commitments.

Moore described that juggling act as “really tough” for any NRL coach, let alone someone in such an early stage of his career, and gave his full backing to Walters despite the QRL’s apparent belief that the long-time assistant coach isn’t up to it.

“I think Kevvy Walters is the automatic heir apparent for a number of reasons,” Moore said.

“ … I think it’s been proven that the current system works. You’ve seen what Mal Meninga’s been able to achieve as a sole Origin coach without NRL commitments and Laurie Daley’s done a similar thing as well.

“I think he’s been fantastic as NSW coach in a stand-alone capacity.

“It’s always easy to think about the positive side but thinking about the negative, when some of the great coaches have come into Origin that have had NRL duties, it’s really onerous on them.

“Craig Bellamy’s a classic example, you just thought there was too much on his plate to try to keep the club momentum there and at the same time service what’s required for State of Origin.”

It is understood that the Cowboys will block the QRL’s offer to Green, reopening the debate on who should succeed Meninga.

Moore said Walters would take the job despite initially being overlooked, describing the affable former Queensland half as “surprised, not insulted, that it hasn’t gone his way”.

However, if the QRL stuck to their guns and went in a different direction due to the belief Walters isn’t up to it, Moore extraordinary declared Cameron Smith could captain-coach the side.

“I’d be interested to see if it could be explored. It doesn’t need to be in this case because we’ve got Kevvy but in theory if Kevvy’s not there and no one else wants to do it he could do it because he’s just so composed on the field,” Moore said.

“I’d almost say he’s the Roger Federer of rugby league because when you watch Roger Federer play does he ever look dishevelled? Does he ever look exhausted? Does he ever reveal his emotions so you know what he’s thinking? No.

“And when you look at Cameron Smith he’s exactly the same.

“He probably could. (As a player) I was flat out thinking about what I had to do let alone worrying about what everyone else had to do, but for him to do it, it would be amazing to see if it’s possible in the modern era.

“He would be one of the very few who you’d even contemplate giving a job like that, especially when you think (Origin) is the fastest game that rugby league’s got.

“He’d have to think about his role as well as be aware what was happening around him both on and off the field.”

Matthew Johns has previously declared Smith has the capabilities to take a captain-coaching role, although it would take a remarkable set of circumstances for it to happen in today’s game.

Even if the QRL can’t get Green and is unsatisfied by the prospect of giving the job to Walters, it is extremely unlikely, although there isn’t exactly a long line of candidates remaining.

Darren Lockyer and Michael Hagan have also ruled themselves out of contention and Moore said it appeared the QRL has been caught cold by Meninga’s decision to walk away to take the Kangaroos coaching job.

“I thought it was reasonably common knowledge that Mal was pretty keen to take the Kangaroos job when it became vacant,” Moore said.

“You thought it was probably a pretty good time to move on even though Mal had just signed a three-year extension. I think there was a get-out clause in that contract anyway.

“So it does sort of look like the QRL has been caught on the hop even though that’s not Queensland’s style to get caught out like this.

“I understand that they want it to be transparent and throw it open to all candidates who throw their hat in the ring but I would have thought that Kevvy was the automatic selection.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/queensland-great-billy-moore-throws-up-cameron-smith-as-possible-maroons-captain-coach/story-fnp0lyn3-1227640486085?utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=TelegraphSport&utm_medium=Facebook

Awe Billy 😦 😦 😦 :bawling

Just give it to Cammy…

Lol, Laurie must be rubbing his hands in glee, now that Hagan and Meninga are not coaching QLD anymore, 😆

QRL believe Walters isn’t up to it….

Jebus if you can’t Coach QLD…doesn’t say a lot for NRL aspirations…Must be an Ipswich thing…

@Tigermama:

Lol, Laurie must be rubbing his hands in glee, now that Hagan and Meninga are not coaching QLD anymore, 😆

No TM we are still :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll that NSW picked Laurie

Must have done it to win a bet , or they are waiting for Laurie to turn around too quickly to help renovate some stadium with his snoz

@happy tiger:

@Tigermama:

No TM we are still :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll that NSW picked Laurie

Must have done it to win a bet , or they are waiting for Laurie to turn around too quickly to help renovate some stadium with his snoz

I’m not a fan either Happy. I’m just as bewildered, as you are :roll that NSW picked Laurie.
He would be ecstatic, that Mal and Hagan are not coaching QLD… He’s Xmases must have come all at once 😆

QRL were keen on Kevie until Meninga white anted him…

Kev isn’t happy considering how much time he and Steve have devoted over the years.

As for Billy, he has proven on a few occasions now he is terrible administrator, so I highly doubt anyone cares what he thinks.

Maybe Qld should sign up Cleary?

@Tiger Watto:

QRL were keen on Kevie until Meninga white anted him…

Kev isn’t happy considering how much time he and Steve have devoted over the years.

As for Billy, he has proven on a few occasions now he is terrible administrator, so I highly doubt anyone cares what he thinks.

Maybe Qld should sign up Cleary?

They don’t do that sort of thing do they… 😲

Queenslandeeeers… 😆

COWBOYS WON’T STAND IN GREEN’S WAY

Written by GREG PRICHARD, December 13, 2015

The North Queensland management is well aware of the potential risk involved in allowing coach Paul Green to take over the Queensland State of Origin side as well, but is understood to be prepared to let him do so to keep him happy.

Green has been offered the job by the Queensland Rugby League, but is yet to take it. The speculation is that he will, but until he makes a decision either way nothing is set in concrete.

If Green didn’t take the job it would be interesting to see what the QRL would do then, since they so obviously went for Green ahead of Kevin Walters, who was widely expected to get the job. Also, Michael Hagan has made it clear he isn’t seeking the job and Wayne Bennett is understood to not be chasing it either.

Walters and Hagan have been assistants to former Queensland coach Mal Meninga, who has departed the Origin scene to take over as Australian coach.

RLW understands North Queensland bosses have asked Green to consider the potential negative effects that adding to his workload could have on the Cowboys team, with him being away for extended periods with the Maroons.

The Cowboys are the premiers, so every other team will be gunning for them. If they began next season poorly and then Green was away on Origin duty on top of that, the wisdom of the decision to agree to let him coach the Maroons would obviously be seriously questioned.

But rather than potentially damage the club’s obviously very good working relationship with Green by trying to stand in his way, the Cowboys are apparently prepared to leave the decision up to him.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/cowboys-wont-stand-in-greens-way/

QLD can win the series without any coaching staff and only meeting up on the day of the game half cut……

NSW’s only chance is if the Maroons play barefoot

Green fobs QLD…

PAUL GREEN REJECTS MAROONS JOB
Facebook87Twitter
Written by STAFF WRITERS, December 17, 2015
COWBOYS coach Paul Green has turned down an approach from the Queensland Rugby League to replace Mal Meninga as Maroons coach.

Green, who was the QRL’s No.1 target, has decided to focus solely on coaching North Queensland. Meninga quit the role earlier this month to coach Australia.

“I am extremely flattered by the QRL’s interest in me coaching the Maroons. I’m humbled by the overtures and coaching the Maroons is something I am hugely passionate about,” said Green, who played seven Origin games for Queensland from 1999-2001.

“I’ve decided to concentrate on coaching the Cowboys in season 2016, putting all my energies into having another successful season.

“I want to thank everyone who has supported me through this process however the timing around coaching State of Origin next year just wasn’t quite right, and from a personal point of view, the decision that I’ve made will be the best thing for all parties next year.”

The search now continues for the QRL who previously overlooked Brisbane assistant Kevin Walters to approach Green. Assistant coach Michael Hagan has already ruled himself out.

“We respect and support Paul’s decision to concentrate on the Cowboys as the club prepares for its premiership defence,” QRL managing director Robert Moore said.

“The QRL understands the enormous public interest surrounding the appointment of Mal’s successor and will continue with the process. However, it’s unlikely that we’ll have a decision until the New Year.”

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/paul-green-rejects-maroons-job/?adbsc=social_20151217_56444626&adbid=1046302675410975&adbpl=fb&adbpr=110919635615955

Watto ,Demps ,CB ,Stryker and myself are coaching Qld for the next 10 years

We are in very good hands

@stryker:

QLD can win the series without any coaching staff and only meeting up on the day of the game half cut……

Pretty sure all the Queerslanders had their boots on in the 2014 series and still got rolled.

@Fade To Black:

@stryker:

Pretty sure all the Queerslanders had their boots on in the 2014 series and still got rolled.

winning 1 in 10 is called luck, now go back to sleep 😉

@happy tiger:

Watto ,Demps ,CB ,Stryker and myself are coaching Qld for the next 10 years

We are in very good hands

As the old saying goes….10 heads are better than 1.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.