NRL propaganda regarding grounds

For the the last few years administrators and papers alike have been reinforcing and harping over and over regarding the need for big stadia which entails WTs permanent move to Homebush and the end of Leichhardt and possibly Campbelltown.

We have a unique product like no other in the world, we’ve been playing at surburbia since 1908 and now all the sudden it’s too expensive to play out of these grounds, why on earth would we change it just to try and be like AFL? If it’s about money then then why doesn’t the NRL give a greater cut from the TV cash cow in order to supplement, or perhaps we should replace our management if they aren’t capable of sourcing other revenues as against selling our soul?

Why should we do it just because Nanna says so? I personally don’t mind the current model though if push comes to shove just do up cambo. Just over the push to permanently move us to Homebush, fair enough play a few block busters though permanently no way… And a big no to incompetent administrators who are simply not capable of thinking out of the square…

The NRL think newer and bigger stadiums will bring the crowds.
I hope so for their sake but with recent tv deal and foxtel relatively cheap it makes the decision a little bit harder for the average punter to get off their couch to go watch a game these days.

I wish we had a similar model to the uk with their football, smaller intimate sized stadiums that are generally better filled.

We’re also trying to copy the AFL model couple stadiums shove most sydney teams there, have a bad feeling this will backfire.

Double headers

Double headers

Double headers

@glebe_tiger:

The NRL think newer and bigger stadiums will bring the crowds.
I hope so for their sake but with recent tv deal and foxtel relatively cheap it makes the decision a little bit harder for the average punter to get off their couch to go watch a game these days.

I wish we had a similar model to the uk with their football, smaller intimate sized stadiums that are generally better filled.

We’re also trying to copy the AFL model couple stadiums shove most sydney teams there, have a bad feeling this will backfire.

yeah i really agree with this too

in Sydney we dont have the sporting fanaticism that the people of melbourne have.
the big grounds are aweful for league unless they are full.
game day experience is poor at the bigger venues across the board.
from costs of food to public transport.
none of this is new - this has been an issue for years now.

the small grounds i believe are the key.
The UK model and the US baseball models are perfect.
the numbers are worked out quite specifically based on the economics matched with game day experience.

unfortunately for us, we have people telling us that 10,000 people at homebush is better for the NRL than a full house at leichardt.

@happy tiger:

Double headers

Double headers

Double headers

Do you mean Queenslanders?

I agree though, more double headers would make it more attractive to go to the hassle and expense of a day at the footy. Too easy to sit on the couch with an endless supply of cold beers at arm’s length these days.

@happy tiger:

Double headers

Double headers

Double headers

That is an excellent post and idea Happy…I compliment you Sir…

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.