Jesse Parahi turned down Olympics

Former rugby sevens star Jesse Parahi turned down Olympics for NRL chance
DECEMBER 11, 20153:28PM

CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSIThe Daily Telegraph

THE decision to give up on his Olympic dream for the chance to join NRL premiership long-shots the Wests Tigers might pay dividends for Jesse Parahi after all.
Parahi could have been forgiven for thinking he’d made the wrong call to ditch Australia’s rugby sevens side — and the chance to win gold in Rio — when the Robbie Farah saga continued to overshadow the Tigers’ pre-season.

But Parahi, 26, quickly knuckled down and impressed his teammates and coach Jason Taylor alike. While it remains to be seen if Parahi will be there for the Tigers come round one against the New Zealand Warriors, the 105kg blond giant is determined to stick around at the joint venture more than one season. With the Farah saga all but settled, Tigers fans can start turning their attention to the club’s fresh faces, including Parahi.

Taylor sees Parahi as a potential lock forward. Parahi spent his junior years playing in the Canterbury competition. The fact he took a gamble by signing a short-term NRL deal during an Olympic year had to be respected, said Taylor.
“He’s obviously backing himself, and that’s what I really like about Jesse,’’ Taylor told The Saturday Telegraph.

“The signs are he’ll make a really good fist of it. “On the field his work rate and enthusiasm and commitment to everything he’s doing really stands out. There is a fair bit of work to do because league is quite different (to rugby sevens), but he’s doing his homework and getting himself up to speed as fast as possible.’’ Parahi said last month he had to weigh up whether to chase his Olympic dream, or make the most of an NRL opportunity that might not present itself again. “The decision kept me awake at nights because it was all very conflicting,’’ he said.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/wests-tigers/former-rugby-sevens-star-jesse-parahi-turned-down-olympics-for-nrl-chance/news-story/1023126dac3c799222924f48e6f0f7eb?sv=1fa3cedb514734a5a2f81e499a664f4f

I really don’t know anything about him but seems to be the type of surprise we need in 2016.

A big unit with speed, he has some good points, hope he smashes it

Interested to see how he goes in the 9s. He has the frame to be a good back rower. Speed, fitness and lateral defenxe shouldnt be a problem. Biggest issues for him will be the collisions, wrestle and just general league knowledge.

Surprised Taylor said he sees him as a lock, would have thought edge back rower for sure.

Good luck to him

Lock does seem a surprise - defence will be a massive adjustment for him anywhere, let alone through the middle with the constant traffic.
Really have no idea what to expect from him.

Maybe JT is looking at him as a traditional lock that plays the edges on both sides and ball plays rather than a third prop that plays in tight that has been the trend the last few years. At least that’s what I hope he’s thinking about because I can’t see why you’d play someone with that speed and skill through the middle.

The thing I like most from both Parahi and Rankin’s highlights reels are that they are competitors. Parahi fights in contact for that extra metre, is strong at the breakdown and is always looking to pounce on the loose ball. Similarly, Rankin was always there first to make the tackle after his kicks, and wouldn’t surrender in the tackle and fought for that extra metre.

Yes obviously these are the best bits of the games they played so they are obviously always going to look good, but these are the types of people we need in our football team. Fighters, competitors and people who will do anything they can to win the contest. Even if they are not world beaters, this type of attitude rubs off on the rest of the team at training and maybe will instill some work ethic into our established first graders like Siro or Ava who seem to switch off from time to time. Old school footballers.

Can’t wait to see this guy in first grade!

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.