Wests Tigers cubs need to step up: Brasher

Tue 15 Dec, 2015, 1:40pm
Steve Zemek, AAP

It’s time for the Wests Tigers youngsters to step up according to a former Tigers great. Credit: Robb Cox. Copyright: NRL Photos.
Balmain great Tim Brasher says it’s time Wests Tigers cubs Mitchell Moses, Luke Brooks and Curtis Sironen start fulfilling their talent.

The Tigers are in need of inspiration following the Robbie Farah scandal and the departure of Martin Taupau which have threatened to derail their 2016 NRL campaign before a ball is kicked.

Coach Jason Taylor’s one-season tenure has been fraught with controversy and he goes into next season under pressure after the Tigers’ second-last finish this year.

The Tigers have invested heavily in highly-touted youngsters Moses, Brooks and Sironen and Brasher says they need to lead the way for the Tigers if they’re going to improve on last season’s dire showing when they finished 15th.

Brasher himself was a teenage prodigy, debuting in 1989 while still at high school and playing in Balmain’s famous grand final loss to Canberra that year.

Speaking at the Jack Newton Celebrity Classic in the Hunter Valley, Brasher said the talented trio needed to start showing why they had been earmarked as NSW State of Origin prospects.

“They’ve all been touted as future NSW players but they’re not playing like it,” Brasher said.

"I’m not saying individually but as a team they’re not. If they can get that teamwork together and work together they’ll be fine.

“They really need to get their on-field stuff together and not worry about who’s coaching.”

Brasher had some strong words for Taylor, describing his first year in charge as “terrible” and his decision to ask Farah to leave the club as “horrible”.

“He’s got a shovel and he’s digging a hole for himself,” Brasher said.

However he said Brooks, Moses and Sironen needed to lead from the front and it was up to the playing group to put the club’s off-field dramas to the side and unite.

“I think (Brooks, Moses and Sironen) have to do it this year, they’ve got to start making inroads this year into what it’s believed their potential is,” Brasher said.

“They’re definitely players who can do it.”

http://www.nrl.com/wests-tigers-cubs-need-to-step-up-brasher/tabid/10874/newsid/91192/default.aspx

Pretty fair assessments of Brooks, Moses, Sironen and Taylor.

Whilst Brasher had the benefit of being nurtured by a quality team, the same cannot be said for our youngsters who have been given a tough initiation. But I agree we need to and will see improvement otherwise their contract value will lessen. May be the catalyst we need to get the best out of them. Just need Pascoe to stand firm.

He’s right re: the youngsters.
And to be fair they’ve (our guys) been saying the same thing themselves in the press recently. Most of them have played around 50 games now - youth is no longer an excuse.

I agree with Brasher, But it doesn’t take a genius to see that the whole team needs to step up, not just those mentioned.

Its funny have not seen a quote from Brasher in years and we get a couple in the past few weeks. Although in saying that he was spot on with his comments. Taylor has dug a massive hole and only some really good results will save him from the dole que, and Sirro,Brooks and Moses have to move beyond the potential tag this year. Okay stating the bleating obvious, but these kids need to read this stuff

@supercoach:

Its funny have not seen a quote from Brasher in years and we get a couple in the past few weeks. Although in saying that he was spot on with his comments. Taylor has dug a massive hole and only some really good results will save him from the dole que, and Sirro,Brooks and Moses have to move beyond the potential tag this year. Okay stating the bleating obvious, but these kids need to read this stuff

Yep,but the main problem is the atmosphere is poisonous,a couple of early season losses and where headed for a bigger mess than the off-field stuff.Apparently,and its only off-season scuttlebutt,the Managers of a couple of our junior could-be’s have advised them to change clubs to improve their long term prospects.I think Sirro jnr. can be removed from that list so it doesn’t take much brain power on who they are.
We need a Jack Gibson type personality in the coaching job ASAP,not an angry ant that struggles for respect.

There’s so many faulse rumours surrounding our club, I find it funny that everyone can be so close to the inner sanctum of JT and the player’s in these training sessions and meetings. We as supporters need to not get so caught up in rumours and rumblings but give support to our boys and give our boys some pride in their supporters. I know they get paid well for but if I was a first grade player representing a club whose supporters were back stabbing, trash mag gossipers i’d probably want to jump ship as well.
We see how they boys lift with genuine support from the fan’s. Lets give these boys the best chance to develop in a positive atmosphere without booing and heckling from their own fans at games. Pathetic

@palms:

There’s so many false rumours surrounding our club, I find it funny that everyone can be so close to the inner sanctum of JT and the player’s in these training sessions and meetings.

Not entirely disagreeing with your post but our club is leaking like a sieve at the moment,bar staff at one particular venue are getting an earful.
There is nothing worse than Sycophantic supporters,thats why i mentioned Jack Gibson,someone who was not scared of reality and tells it as it is.

Whilst I am sure everyone would love nothing more than to see Brooks, Moses and Sironen tear up the opposition, the fact remains the Tigers are not a particularly powerful team on the park. We don’t have the biggest or meanest pack and we don’t have the biggest or quickest backline in the comp either.

Having said that, what I do expect to see is the above three players become far more consistent and constantly talked about as being some of our best on field, regardless of the result. All three can play but it’s about being consistently good, and that’s what the team needs moving forward.

@Basil Tiger:

Not entirely disagreeing with your post but our club is leaking like a sieve at the moment,bar staff at one particular venue are getting an earful.
There is nothing worse than Sycophantic supporters,thats why i mentioned Jack Gibson,someone who was not scared of reality and tells it as it is.

No doubt some are getting a rub of the good oil from various sources Basil. I am still yet to hear anything quoted as being negative from the players about the club or Taylor as yet. It’s a tough one because obviously a contracted player is not going to publicly slander their employer, and we probably won’t know the truth until the players talk with their feet come contract time.
I am a total realist as a supporter, I have no option but to be as a WT supporter. Brasher is right our juniors can’t think of themselves as juniors anymore. We have to get behind them and with more consistency under the belt comes more wins, which means a happier team and the leaks will stop altogether.

@willow:

Whilst I am sure everyone would love nothing more than to see Brooks, Moses and Sironen tear up the opposition, the fact remains the Tigers are not a particularly powerful team on the park. We don’t have the biggest or meanest pack and we don’t have the biggest or quickest backline in the comp either.

Having said that, what I do expect to see is the above three players become far more consistent and constantly talked about as being some of our best on field, regardless of the result. All three can play but it’s about being consistently good, and that’s what the team needs moving forward.

Well said Willow.

I agree that Brooks and Moses have to lead from the front. However Sironen in my view maybe hard pressed making the team. And wouldn’t surprise me if he starts in the nsw cup.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.