Tigers Matts So Close

Balmains Harold Matts Squad lost in an outstanding performance 26-20 to the undefeated Parramatta Eels. I couldn’t see for myself but from all reports Parra’s last try was not a try being both held up and short, the ref looked like he was about to disallow it when the Pelican with the flag put his 10c worth in and said it was a try.

Anyway what a performance from “Our Boys”, defence was absolutely teriffic with Parra scoring 3 of their tries on the back of 5th tackle penalties that the ref couldn’t wait to give. The first 20 minutes Parra were continually offside and the Head Hunters were out in force but the ref couldn’t manage to get the whistle in his mouth when we had the ball.
The only thing that beat us today was size with all bar 1 of Parras tries being barge overs on the back of repeat possesion.

Balmain showed today that the so called best Parra team for many years aren’t so great, they are just big.
Unfortunately we can’t make the semis now but the boys proved today that they are a quality team with some terrific big hearted players. We have gone through the season without 2 of our best forwards and lost a couple of games that we all know we should have won, anyway lets put a big score on Canberra next week and finsh the season off on a high.

We are all so proud of the way the boys played today, they needed to win to make the semis and we were the better team but just got outsized and got little help from the ref.

Flash you are so right, the better TEAM lost today. Although Parra sit on top of the table they have size on their side and not a great deal else. Parramatta tried to intimidate our boys but failed to do so and didnt like it when we stuck it to them.

The ref did hurt us today but, lets look at how well the tigers played against the odds, they were simply fantastic.

Each and every boy in this team can hold their heads high you did the Tigers proud today and I know, all the parents are so rapt in the way you went, you never gave up all day and just kept coming.

A special mention goes to Luke Brooks (no7) who had a great game.

Given it would take a miracle (i think) to make the finals, enjoy the week at training and your last game together boys you are all great mates and have done yourselves proud. GO THE MIGHTY TIGERS !!!

I couldn’t agree more than I do with the 2 previous posts. An absolutely sensational performance from the Tiger cubs against a huge Parra team. I would say that was the best game of junior footy I have ever watched. It had everything, even a fired up crowd and controversial ref calls. In the end it came down to our tryline defense with 3 Parra tries coming from dummy half. Unfortunately Parra where just to big to stop from a meter away, although I have to admit I thought the last try was short of the line.
The Balmain boys should hold their heads up high as I heard a number of Parra supporters comment that was their hardest game of the year. The boys have turned their performances around from earlier in the season and credit should go to them for that. Last week was a big improvement and this week even more so. Errors kept to a minimum and other than some last tackle penalties ( Fairly harsh too considering Parra’s tactics in the ruck) the boys played good disciplined footy.
WELL DONE BOYS you have done yourself, your families, your coaches and your Club proud.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme