Woods has backing of senior Tigers

The Wests Tigers’ seven-man leadership group was asked to give their opinion on whether Aaron Woods would make a good captain.
Source: AAP
23 Dec 2015 - 9:00 AM

Wests Tigers vice-captain Dene Halatau has revealed that the club’s new seven-man leadership group played a major role in the appointment of Aaron Woods as skipper. Woods was handed the job at Concord last week after Robbie Farah controversially stood himself down from the post last month.

At 24 years of age, NSW Origin prop Woods instantly became the youngest captain in the NRL, but not before his leadership credentials were rubber-stamped by his senior teammates. “We gave our opinion on how it might look and the coaching staff made their decisions on that as well,” said Halatau, who was named as Woods’ deputy alongside Chris Lawrence. “Woodsy is there because we trust him to be our leader.” Halatau, 32, believed the Leichhardt junior’s promotion made the most sense. “Everyone suggested Woodsy would be the logical choice,” he said. "He’s a leader at training, He’s a leader amongst the boys, and he’s a leader when he plays footy. “He’s 24 years old so it could be a long future for him as captain.” It brings an end to Farah’s six-year reign as the face of the joint venture, having taken over from Todd Payten in 2009.

NSW vice-captain Farah was seemingly headed out of Concord when he was encouraged to find another club in late August, but he dug his heels in, insisting he wanted to see out his contract. What looked set to be an ugly separation has now seemingly fallen through and a healing process has begun. “You never like to see a club that you care about, and spent so much time at, have negative press,” Halatau said. "(But) it’s part and parcel with being in the NRL. You’re going to be scrutinised at times when things are going wrong. “But everyone has worked hard to get through it and everyone is pretty comfortable that we’ll push on.”

I. For one , am a massive fan of Woods. Yes we may have more statesmen like figures in the team. But I like having a prop as our captain. Leading from the front.
Who’s our vice captain, who will take the reins when he is off for 10 mins a half?

@Tigerdon:

I. For one , am a massive fan of Woods. Yes we may have more statesmen like figures in the team. But I like having a prop as our captain. Leading from the front.
Who’s our vice captain, who will take the reins when he is off for 10 mins a half?

Lawrence & Halatau

Can’t really read too much into it, its just a bit of puff by the club to give themselves positive press. Not that i don’t think he wouldn’t have the support of all the players anyway. Do think though he needs to grow up a bit now and can the class clown image. I’d like to see him clean himself up, but doubt that will happen. Being more serious would also go a ways to winning the respect of the refs, something i’m not sure the Woods of previous yrs would have commanded.

Dare I say that Anasta said exactly what Halatau is quoted saying here, when asked who should be captain, in his much maligned assessment of the Tigers.
But, then again, how would he know anything?

You wonder why this article had to be written.

my footie mate, a second rower who has captained, states that a forward should not be captain, should be a half or back so can see what is happening so can work things out.

@Byron Bay Fan:

my footie mate, a second rower who has captained, states that a forward should not be captain, should be a half or back so can see what is happening so can work things out.

Quick strip Woods of the captaincy! BBF’s footy mate said so!

Captains aren’t setting game plans out there, their primary purpose is to inspire and motivate the players and that can be done in lots of ways. Leading from the front and tearing in with the dirty work is just fine.

Look the game hasn’t changed a great deal

Brooks will be telling Farah where he wants to be by tackle 3-4 for either an attacking option or to put the kick downtown

Woods will have very little input into many decisions on field , even penalties they ask the bench whether to take the two or go for 6

Hope Woodsy is a lucky bugger and can win lots of coin tosses and knows his left from right and or north from south

For example, when at half time and the coach wants to re-access what’s going wrong well not much use asking the forward/captain when everything was happening behind him and he’s still stumbling to get up after a tackle. Changa Langlands was fullback and captain. Hindmarsh was capt but the Eels weren’t that successful.

@Byron Bay Fan:

For example, when at half time and the coach wants to re-access what’s going wrong well not much use asking the forward/captain when everything was happening behind him and he’s still stumbling to get up after a tackle. Changa Langlands was fullback and captain. Hindmarsh was capt but the Eels weren’t that successful.

That’s why the coaches have 15 assistants and walkie talkies for

They see all and ask the assistants about a thousand questions

If the coach and 15 assistants can’t work it out the need for new coaches and assistants is great or your playing roster isn’t up to scratch

No wonder a footie team is so expensive these days.

@Tigerdon:

I agree.

Captains don’t have much to do with strategy any more, more to do with leading from the front. Woods is the clear bloke in our team who does that, making dirty yards in tough conditions, and he’s not a stress-head (yet) so he helps moderate the team’s mental state.

@Byron Bay Fan:

Best captain i ever saw was Paul Harragon.

Woodsy wasnt my first choice, but of he leads by example like he did in the sharks trial then thats all we can ask. He will also play large minutes. I reckon some games he will play up to 70 minutes.

@stevetiger:

You wonder why this article had to be written.

Yep, only the Tigers would feel the need to say that this time they’re not white-anting the captain. Honest. That said it’s only round 1.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.