2015 stats where do they point?

Couple of interesting stats from 2015. Has been a lot of discussion around how the tigers will go next year, there are probably arguements to support both a very good year, or a very poor year.

• Only 25 players used in 1st grade last year. This is often found in sides that do very well, however even with a lack of injuries, we only managed to avoid the spoon.
  • Nine losses (including 2 golden point) by 10 points or less. 4 wins from these games would have had us in the 8.

I think that there is less experience in the club this year, but greater depth and players making similar mistakes week after week will likely be able to be replaced by a player with equal ability. I think that the defence will improve again this year and think that the tigers could easily make the top 8, and with confidence go further.

The recruitment is similar to Penrith a few years back where unheralded signings are able to support the talent already in the team.

Thoughts?

Also a few of our losses were from major comebacks eg. Raiders and dogs

But you could also say that many of our wins were from our big 3 pulling off a comeback.

They point at last years results.

The reason why the club only used 25 players last year was that except for these 25 players the club had no other players of anywhere near first grade standard to choose for first grade. Think Lovett playing at centre and Milone on the wing. This coming season however will be a very different kettle of fish. The club is awash with players of first grade standard available in most positions. These players may not be marquees but they are quite capable players many with as yet unfulfilled potential 2016 will be an exciting new for Wests Tigers and a surprise to many who are thinking on the negative side of things.

@Newtown:

The reason why the club only used 25 players last year was that except for these 25 players the club had no other players of anywhere near first grade standard to choose for first grade. Think Lovett playing at centre and Milone on the wing. This coming season however will be a very different kettle of fish. The club is awash with players of first grade standard available in most positions. These players may not be marquees but they are quite capable players many with as yet unfulfilled potential 2016 will be an exciting new for Wests Tigers and a surprise to many who are thinking on the negative side of things.

I think we can draw a lot of positives from the stats above. A bit of confidence/luck could’ve easily turned 4 of those 10-point losses into victories putting us into the 8. Anything can happen from there.

After all that I just hope the boys have learnt how to earn the right to attack & a nice aggressive defensive line-speed would hurt either.

Looking forward to seeing how Ava, Sue & Rowdy develop in their roles this year as well as what our new forward recruits can bring to the table, i.e. Griffin, Edwards, Madness, Parahi, etc., not to mention Rankin & Addo-Carr, etc.

We’ve got plenty of positives to focus on.

@sheer64:

So true. Good analysis and all, but that was the 2015 season.

I don’t share in the enthusiasm for the quality or likely impact of recruitment for 2016 but it will be what Taylor and others can make of it.

And, it will be judged against the standard of other NRL clubs in 2016, not on 2015.

Upwards and onwards hopefully

@LCA:

@sheer64:

So true. Good analysis and all, but that was the 2015 season.

I don’t share in the enthusiasm for the quality or likely impact of recruitment for 2016 but it will be what Taylor and others can make of it.

And, it will be judged against the standard of other NRL clubs in 2016, not on 2015.

Yeah +1. When it comes down to it, shoulda, coulda but didn’ta. Normally I’m a stat man and WT optimist, but thousand foot view is we came second last. We are judged by all; supporters, sponsors and other clubs on your position on the table. Not how many of those games we could have won to make the top 8.

2015 is so last year. 2016 is what will be judged on next year.

2015 was a complete disaster. It was embarrassing.
A lot has to change for us to make the 8 in 2016.

last year was embarrassing for they West Tigers because we lost games we could have won and we did not keep our intensity up the whole game. Hopefully with this year we can prove the doubters wrong and make it into the top eight.

Stats are decieving from time to time.

A stat I find very significant in the outcomes of 2015 is we scored so many try’s from our own half… A lot of fans talk this up, but I find it very alarming when it becomes a highlight of the season. (much like 4 wins and we make the 😎

For me, It shows we lacked the ability to gain or control field possession, and our structure failed in attack & defense. If we where better in all these facets, this stat would not be a highlight, it would be a nothing stat in the outcome of our season, as we would be focused on other facets. However, I wonder what we are doing to change this for the 2016 season?

Harvey, of the teams above us which didn’t make the Top 8, how many games did they lose by 10 points or less? If they needed to win less than 40% of those games (factoring the same luck), wouldn’t we need to win more than 4?

A lot of ifs and maybes.The fact is we came equal last.2015 was not a good year.

@stryker:

2015 was a complete disaster. It was embarrassing.
A lot has to change for us to make the 8 in 2016.

Yep.

I think though we can win some games next season especially if we pick up Grant or another prop.

2015 was a terrible year losing to the wooden spooners both times and only avoiding it ourselves by our for/against.What was worse was the team coached to play a style of game which we are ill equipped to use fortunately that appears to be being fazed out.
2016 like any new season comes with expectation for better things, i am far from confident about a top 8 finish but like everyone else on here it is what i hope for.

I agree with most posts here in saying all you can draw from last years results is that we finished near last.

What gives me some optimism is the amount of upside we have in our squad. Woods, Ava, sirro, Lawrence, sue, Lovett, brooks, moses, nofo, simona (4/5 of the starting team) all can play consistently better. And we showed last year when we had our best team in we were competitive.

While many point to the fact we only used 25 players, our injuries were concentrated in the centres and backrow, two positions where our depth was poor.

Reduced interchange should suit us more than many other teams.

Also, Taylor knows what he has to work on given his year of experience, whereas in 2015 he had little knowledge of the strength and weaknesses of his players. We had fewer players coming back from surgeries.

On the downside. We hav lost some strike with taupau gone and some prop strength. Also, it is unclear what lasting damage the Farah/Taylor feud has done….it could either galvanise the squad or further fracture it…it may depend on how we go early.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.