The Passing of Brian Johnson.

Just read on another site that former St. George fullback Brian Johnson has passed away at the age of 59 to Alzheimers Disease, RIP Brian, too young to pass from such an insidious illness.

Condolences to his family.
I remember him playing…. They had a good team back then Shulman Morris young reddy Jarvis etc… And the other Brian johnstone

Bloody hell , I thought you were talking about AC/DC lead singer

Condolences to Brian ,family and friends and St George supporters

He was a very good fullback , pretty sure he passed the reigns over to a young Mick Potter if memory serves

59 with Alzheimers Disease , bloody scary

Yes he was a very good fullback. RIP.

Did anyone else see the title and think it was the AC/DC Brian Johnson. Given what’s happened lately that would top it off.

Still sad news though. Condolences to the family.

I immediately thought which one. He was my favourite fullback for a while and I used to pretend that I was him when playing at the back as we had the red v playing strip.

BTW, this was posted in the NRL section and the other BJ is well past 60.

He was a more than capable player and i am shocked to hear of his passing.to die from alzheimers at such an early age would be terrible for his family. R.I.P

@GNR4LIFE:

Did anyone else see the title and think it was the AC/DC Brian Johnson. Given what’s happened lately that would top it off.

Still sad news though. Condolences to the family.

Yeah I did. Was freaked right out.

RIP to the legend anyway.

@happy tiger:

He was a very good fullback , pretty sure he passed the reigns over to a young Mick Potter if memory serves

Nah, Johnson left Saints after the 85 grand final. Potter joined them in 1989. Saints had a couple of fullbacks in between, including Glen Burgess and Clinton Mohr.

@innsaneink:

I remember him playing…. They had a good team back then Shulman Morris young reddy Jarvis etc… And the other Brian johnstone

Michael O’Connor as well, before he went to Manly. They also had one of my favourite non-Tigers players - Mick Beattie. For some reason, I was always a big fan of Micks.

Hard to believe you could die from Alzheimer’s at only 59.
I only turned 60 a few days ago and couldn’t imagine it - the decline must have started years before when he was very young.
Saw my mates mum die from this a few weeks ago, but at 90 she had a decent innings.
To lose your mind, to the degree that it can kill you, before you turn 60 is frightening.

i think he had a public relations role with the wests magpies in the 1980s - 1990s.

very similar stauture and playing style to our brett hodgson.

Very sad indeed RIP Brian. I have fond memories of Brian as a very good fullback……taken way too soon…wishing his family deepest condolences at this time…

If only more footballers had Brian’s demeanor and attitude Rugby League would be an even better game.

@innsaneink:

I get the 2 Brian Johnsons(Stones) mixed up.

They both played a few positions as well, the one that passed away isnt the one that played in the centres with Mick Beattie and played a bit earlier is that right?

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.