Pre-Season Broadcasting

Just noticed this coloumn by Steve Mascord. He makes some really good points. I never really understood why these games haven’t been promoted more. Big business shouldn’t be able to stand in the way of the games promotion if in fact this is the case should they?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/why-blackout-on-nrl-preseason-is-corporate-red-tape-at-its-worst-20160109-gm2m0x.html

Thanks for the link. Big business….it just does my head in to the extent that corporations think purely of the bottom line of a product and not the meaning or impact it has to/on people.

Hope we show our pre-season stuff again this year!

yea hope they get these games out of the clutches of nein or whoever.

each club has 2 games plus the nines, so over 40 hours of programming, which is about 2 weeks of normal nrl programming. obviously it’s preseason, so half potential viewers.

could add around 50-60mil on the 5 year tv deal i reckon

Don’t know if you guys read the comments below the article, but there’s an interesting one written by “The Future is Bright”

Really looking ahead to the future. Just another opinion which is worth a read I reckon. But this would be another thread/topic of discussion.

@pHyR3:

each club has 2 games plus the nines, so over 40 hours of programming, which is about 2 weeks of normal nrl programming. obviously it’s preseason, so half potential viewers.

Wouldn’t it be great if the NRL thought outside the box and said ok, lets do this, and put the proceeds into a fund for the likes of those permanently affected or incapacitated whilst playing our great game?

@wd in perth:

@pHyR3:

Wouldn’t it be great if the NRL thought outside the box and said ok, lets do this, and put the proceeds into a fund for the likes of those permanently affected or incapacitated whilst playing our great game?

That’s a great idea WD. Pity that all TV corporations are only interested in making as much money as possible for their own coffers. They are loath to give it away for any cause, no matter how important.

@wd in perth:

Just noticed this coloumn by Steve Mascord. He makes some really good points. I never really understood why these games haven’t been promoted more. Big business shouldn’t be able to stand in the way of the games promotion if in fact this is the case should they?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/why-blackout-on-nrl-preseason-is-corporate-red-tape-at-its-worst-20160109-gm2m0x.html

They havent been promoted before, because when RL was really RL, these trial games were not much more than training runs…opposed training runs. a practise game.
Now the play for shields and trophies…trials arent what they once were

Personally, trials do my head in

@innsaneink:

@wd in perth:

They havent been promoted before, because when RL was really RL, these trial games were not much more than training runs…opposed training runs. a practise game.

Absolutely Ink,in my day they were known as possibles and probables…they were organised by the club to see who has it or who hasnt got the ability to play in the top team…

@TrueTiger:

@innsaneink:

@wd in perth:

Absolutely Ink,in my day they were known as possibles and probables…they were organised by the club to see who has it or who hasnt got the ability to play in the top team…

They’re not the greatest of games, but that’s what we expect. Getting to see the blokes that normally you wouldn’t see run out is an attraction in itself. I think in the article, it’s suggested that other outlets of media could do the broadcast rather than the big boys in the media world. Shutting it down so that it’s not possible makes no sense really.

@wd in perth:

@TrueTiger:

@innsaneink:

@wd in perth:

They’re not the greatest of games, but that’s what we expect. Getting to see the blokes that normally you wouldn’t see run out is an attraction in itself. I think in the article, it’s suggested that other outlets of media could do the broadcast rather than the big boys in the media world. Shutting it down so that it’s not possible makes no sense really.

WD,I agree that the trials should be broadcast by someone…my reason being just as you said to view new players and their form,especially that it is NRL and not bush football that I used to play…

Up until about 2004 we got a NRL trial game within say 150 km of where I live , which was cool

I think we’ve had maybe 2 at most since

Think Rockhampton had one last season

@wd in perth:

@TrueTiger:

@innsaneink:

@wd in perth:

Yeah…fair enough…preventing others from showing it is just greed

Moving trial games back to the country is a must

Each side should be given a region that they must play at least one set of trial games at and change it annually to play in different areas

It should be demanded as a covenant of the broadcasting rights.

I can’t see how it wouldn’t be profitable, close to four months without the game, punters would be salivating to watch some footy, even if it is trial footy, excited to see what the new signings will do, particularly promising juniors making the step up.

And make the trial games played in Sydney by the clubs gold coin charge per person to try and get big crowds

Last I heard it was about $10 for adults and $5 for kids for trial games , is that about right ??

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.