Players stepping up?

I can’t see any long shots getting a start come round one but i’d like to see either Jordan Grant or Dallas Graham being our rookie of the year. From what i’ve seen i think Graham has more upside and would be happy for him to get a chance. Anyone else have thoughts?

Hard to tell really. I think WTs have taken a real “money ball” approach to their recruitment. Low entry point but reasonably high upside across the board with the exception of Grant and Balin who are proven top graders . Any number of them could be diamonds in the rough….

Jordan Rankin
Rod Griffin
Michael Chee-Kam
Billy McConahie (I think that is his name)

The list goes on

They all have that feeling of talented players who have wanted a shot at the big time and now they have got it. I think they will all be trying their ring out to impress.

Yep, agree with Coopy. I think the Ipswich connection will be a good thing for the club this year. Given our financial position and the need to do the hard yards with bugger all money on the table, I am reasonably happy with our current crop this year. The ball is in Taylor’s court though and he needs to give Farah (Cherrington), Brooks, Moses and Teddy more freedom to play natural game. This freedom will expose and bring on other players who will step up during the season. Over to you JT……

Griffin with his time in the Broncos system would of learnt a lot

Edwards and Grant will need to play their best footy and will be an important to our cause if they do

It will be crucial our forwards step up big time

But the most important person for us will be our 9 , whoever that might be

I said last season that Farah was our key , he needed to find his best form , I think his best form on a consistent basis is out of reach and getting further away

Maybe with him and Ballin working together they can combine to make a dint in the NRL

We will need very few injuries and lots of luck for a Top 8 finish

I like Addo-Carr as a smoky for the wing position. Genuine speed is something we lack and thinking back to the number of opportunities Richards had out wide but couldn’t finish off due to lack of speed, we’ll I reckon Addo-Carr will definitely be a handy finisher.

I think Chee-Kam will be another to watch.

Mine is Rankin, I really think he could be a dynamic player for us, always looked like it would happen form him, hopefully it is with us!

I’m looking forward to seeing Grant and Edwards.

I’d like to see something from Siro this yr that finally makes me feel enthusiastic about him.

I think Chee Kam will grab a backrow position or at least a bench spot. Very handy player with plenty of speed and can easily fill a centre spot in case of a mid game injury. And i believe Tim Grant will suprise a few and get back to his best with some extra game time.

Many of us have always been of the opinion that our forward packs have been light at times and the boys get bullied a lot by the bigger packs from other clubs…let me tell you,if the Ipswich boys get a go in the forwards together,they will cause a fair bit of pain to the opposition,I’m really impressed with what they have achieved at the Jets and they can both play hard tough football,this is what we have needed in the middle for awhile now…I personally can’t wait to see them in our colours and certainly hope they both have a great year…Chee Kam won’t let us down either and I pray Grant turns his form around to the form he had early in his career when representing NSW…I can’t wait until kickoff 2016…

@TrueTiger:

Many of us have always been of the opinion that our forward packs have been light at times and the boys get bullied a lot by the bigger packs from other clubs…let me tell you,if the Ipswich boys get a go in the forwards together,they will cause a fair bit of pain to the opposition,I’m really impressed with what they have achieved at the Jets and they can both play hard tough football,this is what we have needed in the middle for awhile now…I personally can’t wait to see them in our colours and certainly hope they both have a great year…Chee Kam won’t let us down either and I pray Grant turns his form around to the form he had early in his career when representing NSW…I can’t wait until kickoff 2016…

X2 - I think the Ipswich boys will add some mongrel to the pack if given the opportunity, plus they won’t take a backward step or be intimidated by anyone.

@TrueTiger:

I don’t think FPN would get away with slapping either of the Ippy boys like he did with Sue.

Rankin; Graham & Seve are the boys I want to see step up and assert there presence…

Rankin was a star kid who had everything. More than likely being blooded too early lead to his demise somewhat, but he took the option to get away and settle down overseas. Could be the signing of the year!

Graham has always stood out as having a good balance between mongrel & productivity. If he is 100% ready to go, I cant see why he wont be in NRL by years end. Fire Up Kid!

Seve has always been one of my favourites. I preferred him over Te Martin when he was at Keebra and has this class element which should see translate into NRL at some stage of his career. Crafty with Speed is a great gift for RL!

Obviously he has taken a back seat to Luke Brooks over the past 12 months, but I reckon Mitchell Moses will step up in 2016 and be the halves leader we have been waiting for. As long as we dont get too one-demensional in going to Teddy every set, Mitchell could carve up the NRL if given enough room.

As soon as Ballin is ready, put him in. He will suit our team structure and take us down the park. Something we have lacked for a few years now!

On the Ipswich Boys… I’m hoping some of you are correct but I have seen very little from them that indicates they will be tough and capable of playing week to week NRL football.

Playing a Grand Final with some mongrel to upset the opposition doesnt always transpire in a 26 Round Comp.

Griffin is the one most likely, but will depend how Taylor wants to use him?

Billy has a history of being lazy and that is usually found out pretty quick at this level. [but he has a hard head!]

Players from last season I think will lift based on the more experience they have gained…

Seumanufagai…I think he can go from bench Prop to starter …showed in the few games last year in the absents of Galloway and Woods he can handle starting …we need a Prop that can churn out the metres as well as have impact in attack in the opposition 20…needs more work on his ruck defence but doesn’t miss too many tackles…

Sue…being added to the leadership group is a big plus for him another who is up around the 50 game mark no longer considered a rookie…One of our better defenders who hits and sticks…would like to see him in the second row playing wider and offering protection to Moses that worked well in the beginning of last year but looks like Taylor sees him more of a middle player…

Brooks and Moses…i pair them together as… well… a lot hinges on them…Brooks now has 2 full seasons under his belt around 50 games no longer a rookie despite still being young…Moses showed at the backend of last year the potential he has…both though will rely on the forwards setting a solid platform and a massive improvement in defensive structures around them…

Simona…the key for him is to play injury free and stay on the park…It was more than evident last year how much we struggled for any strike out wide when he wasn’t there than when he was…will provide plenty of opportunities to whoever ends up outside him…

The new Guys…

Rankin…as Watto and Goose pointed out above …thrown into NRL way too young and to his detriment…Shown enough in his stint in the ESL that he has improved his game…will put pressure on the halves to perform…can also handle FB centre and wing …if he doesn’t get a starting spot from the get go will be more than handy should injury or poor form strike…

Edwards…moreso for his defence rather than what he offers in attack…we haven’t had a real hitter in defence since Ellis left but it’s not the fact he can only hit he is a good defender…tackles his ring off…would like to see him defend out wide with Brooks would make opposition teams think twice in sending traffic his way with Edwards as his protector…

The Ipswich Boys…been told over and over the QLD Cup is a superior competition to NSW Cup so picking up 2 of the best forward performers can’t be a bad thing…both have big motors at that level how that translates to NRL is yet to be seen …I like the fact they are no nonsense types who go forward and tackle…

Can lump the rest of the new recruits into the same basket…look forward to see what they offer given the opportunity at FG…granted our recruitment has not been as stellar of the glamour Clubs given previous cap mismanagement… but all in all I feel we have greatly improved our depth as a Club with the moneyball approach we have taken…

@Geo.:

Players from last season I think will lift based on the more experience they have gained…

Seumanufagai…I think he can go from bench Prop to starter …showed in the few games last year in the absents of Galloway and Woods he can handle starting …we need a Prop that can churn out the metres as well as have impact in attack in the opposition 20…needs more work on his ruck defence but doesn’t miss too many tackles…

Sue…being added to the leadership group is a big plus for him another who is up around the 50 game mark no longer considered a rookie…One of our better defenders who hits and sticks…would like to see him in the second row playing wider and offering protection to Moses that worked well in the beginning of last year but looks like Taylor sees him more of a middle player…

Brooks and Moses…i pair them together as… well… a lot hinges on them…Brooks now has 2 full seasons under his belt around 50 games no longer a rookie despite still being young…Moses showed at the backend of last year the potential he has…both though will rely on the forwards setting a solid platform and a massive improvement in defensive structures around them…

Simona…the key for him is to play injury free and stay on the park…It was more than evident last year how much we struggled for any strike out wide when he wasn’t there than when he was…will provide plenty of opportunities to whoever ends up outside him…

The new Guys…

Rankin…as Watto and Goose pointed out above …thrown into NRL way too young and to his detriment…Shown enough in his stint in the ESL that he has improved his game…will put pressure on the halves to perform…can also handle FB centre and wing …if he doesn’t get a starting spot from the get go will be more than handy should injury or poor form strike…

Edwards…moreso for his defence rather than what he offers in attack…we haven’t had a real hitter in defence since Ellis left but it’s not the fact he can only hit he is a good defender…tackles his ring off…would like to see him defend out wide with Brooks would make opposition teams think twice in sending traffic his way with Edwards as his protector…

The Ipswich Boys…been told over and over the QLD Cup is a superior competition to NSW Cup so picking up 2 of the best forward performers can’t be a bad thing…both have big motors at that level how that translates to NRL is yet to be seen …I like the fact they are no nonsense types who go forward and tackle…

Can lump the rest of the new recruits into the same basket…look forward to see what they offer given the opportunity at FG…granted our recruitment has not been as stellar of the glamour Clubs given previous cap mismanagement… but all in all I feel we have greatly improved our depth as a Club with the moneyball approach we have taken…

Where have you been? Brilliant post, spot on.

Players stepping up as the Thread says? This is Sirro’s make or break Season i believe, he really needs to stand up and be counted as I don’t believe he is the player we hoped he would be.

I think our recruitment has been awesome in terms of what was on offer and what we can afford.
The players that we have signed know there is an opportunity for them to make a position in the 17 there own.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.