Possible Surprises for FG Team

Lots of talk of the possibilities for the First Grade Lineup, but to look at it from another view…

I was going to say who has no chance, but to be a little kinder, who would you be surprised to see get a call up for a first grade spot out of the top squad (even through injuries).

I’ll go with Kyle Lovett. Even though he was a regular last season I just cant see him getting a start this year.

Next is Liovave. I just haven’t see anything in him that suggest he’s up to it, even though there was a fair but of hype about him this time last year.

Quite a few other I could mention but will leave that to you guys.

There are a few guys I’d keep away from the squad. I’d rather give Chance Peni a run in the centres before Milone, and I’d rather use Liolevave in the backrow ahead of Lovett as examples. I just think they do a lot more with the ball. I’d also like to see Dallas Graham get a run ahead of Buchanan in the front row.

@willow:

There are a few guys I’d keep away from the squad. I’d rather give Chance Peni a run in the centres before Milone, and I’d rather use Liolevave in the backrow ahead of Lovett as examples. I just think they do a lot more with the ball. I’d also like to see Dallas Graham get a run ahead of Buchanan in the front row.

id have to disagree, i think lovett can become an absolute workhorse in defence. like fulton was

20-30 tackles easily a game. his output and efficacy was amazing for a rookie, and good for any player. he had some lapses, as is expected but many were due to playing out of position.

milone and Lovett

Better options available

Lovett has done nothing to make me feel like he has any ability at NRL level. He doesn’t dent or break the line, his tackles are ineffective. He literally only has cardio going for him. Unless he develops something then he’s got no chance and we’re wasting our time, and development should be in the lower grades. Edwards and Chee Kam are both ahead of him in development. Halatau, Griffin, McConnachie, Sue and Sironen have better qualities to their play. Lovett should not be in the side come round 1.

Really hoping to see Griffin in the Top 13 let alone Top 17

He is the answer at lock

Like the Australian cricket side, its harder to get out of a weststigers side than into it. So you have to asks yourself what incumbents are under any real pressure come round one and what positions are vacant.

Vacant positions come round one are one winger,one no7,one prop and one inter change forward. Of course the no7 and interchange forward will be back in round two after they serve their suspensions. So really we talking a winger and a prop. Grant fills the prop, so either Nagamia goes to the wing and Rankin fills the centre or Hunt goes to the wing.

The only player I see under a little pressure will be Nofo, great finisher, but struggles at time in defence and pace is a little down on what you expect from a winger, but in saying that he carried a knee injury most of 2015

As for trial form, can not remember to many players who have pushed incumbent player out of the first round starting line up in recent years. I hope all the players are given a real go and the best 17 picked come round one, but can not see any real changes unless there is a bad injury toll during the trials

@MacDougall:

Lovett has done nothing to make me feel like he has any ability at NRL level. He doesn’t dent or break the line, his tackles are ineffective. He literally only has cardio going for him. Unless he develops something then he’s got no chance and we’re wasting our time, and development should be in the lower grades. Edwards and Chee Kam are both ahead of him in development. Halatau, Griffin, McConnachie, Sue and Sironen have better qualities to their play. Lovett should not be in the side come round 1.

X2, there are better and more effective options than Lovett in the squad!!

@pHyR3:

@willow:

id have to disagree, i think lovett can become an absolute workhorse in defence. like fulton was

20-30 tackles easily a game. his output and efficacy was amazing for a rookie, and good for any player. he had some lapses, as is expected but many were due to playing out of position.

I do agree he was defensively solid last year, and can do a job as backup.

But I’m hoping that we are able to play someone in every position that is a threat in both defence and attack. Fair enough Lovett doesn’t miss many tackles, but does he hurt or scare the opposition? And his offensive contribution is modest to say the least.

If you are going to be a defensive workhorse, I think you also need to be able to punish lazy runs or bad passes, really deck a few players for their troubles. A guy like Edwards is perfect for this, if he can also provide some offensive input as well.

Taylor has to get this right from the beginning…I believe he has to select as many of the new Recruits as possible . Buchanan and Lovett have to be playing reggies to start the season they are back ups at best. Taylor has not got the convenience of time, get the new names on the park as quickly as possible, we know what many can already do and most of it is not much

@jirskyr:

@pHyR3:

@willow:

I do agree he was defensively solid last year, and can do a job as backup.

But I’m hoping that we are able to play someone in every position that is a threat in both defence and attack. Fair enough Lovett doesn’t miss many tackles, but does he hurt or scare the opposition? And his offensive contribution is modest to say the least.

If you are going to be a defensive workhorse, I think you also need to be able to punish lazy runs or bad passes, really deck a few players for their troubles. A guy like Edwards is perfect for this, if he can also provide some offensive input as well.

Yes I’m a Lovett fan but he still needs to get rid of the bad defensive misses

He is similar to Masada Iosefa in that sense , bloke could make 40 tackles but the two he missed would lead to tries

To a degree its is partially because our edge defence is so poor , but if you miss a tackle it can be a bad miss

Moltzen, anasta, Blake ashyford

@pHyR3:

@willow:

He doesn’t hurt in defence though whereas guys like Edwards and Cassel cut players in half with their defensive technique and get through just as much work. No doubting Lovett is fit, but he offers nothing with the ball and I think we have better defenders.

@willow:

@pHyR3:

@willow:

He doesn’t hurt in defence though whereas guys like Edwards and Cassel cut players in half with their defensive technique and get through just as much work. No doubting Lovett is fit, but he offers nothing with the ball and I think we have better defenders.

i dont remember fulton hurting in defence either? im not saying he was soft but no one was running scared of fults. he just made every god damn tackle he could and his technique was great

we do definitely need someone to hurt in defence. and that someone for me is sue and we need sironen to develop into that kind of player. But i think lovett has the potential to essentially never miss a tackle and clean up any players running on an edge that manage to get around him. those one on one tackles around the legs where if they’re not made the outside backs have issues

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.