Lawrence: We can beat anybody..

Lawrence: We can beat anybody

Jack Brady, National Correspondent, NRL.com

Wed 20th January, 09:54AM
A A

They narrowly avoided the wooden spoon in 2015 but Wests Tigers back-rower Chris Lawrence believes the club can beat anyone in the NRL on their day.

The Wests Tigers have one of the youngest squads in the competition and Lawrence says the club’s youth may work in their favour in 2016.

“As a playing group our focus has always been on footy but unfortunately we haven’t been good enough to play semi-final footy,” Lawrence said.

"We have shown we can match it and compete with the best sides but we have just been far too inconsistent to be anywhere close to being a semi final team.

"Given the bit more experience these younger guys have had, we can start to bridge the gap between our best and worst games and hopefully get enough wins to be there at the back end of the year.

“I have no doubt on our day that we can beat anyone but our problem has been getting ourselves in a good position.”

Hailing the Tigers’ signing of former New South Wales prop Tim Grant, Lawrence said players such as halves partners Luke Brooks and Mitch Moses will soon reach a point in their career where their experience will be validated.

“Given last year there was a lot of guys who played more than what they were expected will definitely help us this year. You have guys like Brooksy and Mitch Moses who have played 30 or 40 NRL games now,” Lawrence said.

"Even others like Kyle Lovett and some of the younger forwards who managed a lot of game time [last year] and are only 21 or 22 years of age. That experience is going to be invaluable to them.

“With Tim Grant there now, in comes another experienced player. Considering the loss of Keith Galloway and Marty Taupau in our forwards he’s going to be a really good addition for us.”

Meanwhile, Lawrence is hopeful he’ll be able to skipper the Tigers’ Auckland Nines squad again in 2016.

“I enjoyed myself in particular being skipper last year, it was good fun in a different format so hopefully I’ll be there,” Lawrence said.

"Playing a different format, before you’re back in the 13-man game, is a bit of fun and you get your fitness while you’re at it.

“It’s a freshen up, every side has been deep in pre-season training so you can have a bit of fun before the serious stuff starts.”

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016/01/20/lawrence_we_can_beat.html

Not wanting to bag Rowdy , but we have heard this interview since Geo was a boy

And as I seem to say every year words mean nothing , actions ,actions , actions

When we actually see it , we will believe it

Agree with Rowdy…the gap between our best performances in betting Souff’s Dogs Dragons and Storm (all top 8 sides) last year and losing to Newy twice Titans etc is too large…mentioned in the stepping up thread that our young guys are now approaching a level where they no longer can be classed as rookies…despite the fact we have the youngest roster in the NRL…the gap in game experience is closing…

The top sides perform consistently…Broncs Storm Rorters Dogs Manly Souff’s gap between their best and worse performances are generally narrow hence they play semi final footy…

I think we will surprise quite a few in 2016…

Never felt so unsure about an upcoming season. All I do know is we have to start well otherwise the media will ravage us and the innuendos, blame game, etc will be in full force once again. Rowdys positive attitude is not surprising - but like others still waiting for the results on the field.

Every pre-season all clubs are upbeat about their prospects for the up coming season, let’s see half way through the season whether that positivity remains??

@Geo.:

Agree with Rowdy…the gap between our best performances in betting Souff’s Dogs Dragons and Storm (all top 8 sides) last year and losing to Newy twice Titans etc is too large…mentioned in the stepping up thread that our young guys are now approaching a level where they no longer can be classed as rookies…despite the fact we have the youngest roster in the NRL…the gap in game experience is closing…

The top sides perform consistently…Broncs Storm Rorters Dogs Manly Souff’s gap between their best and worse performances are generally narrow hence they play semi final footy…

We all agree that is the key Geo its proven every year

I would rather Rowdy comes out and says something along the lines that talk is cheap and until the actions can match anything they that is acceptable on a weekly basis that they will not talk about it

Agree with Rowdy,we can beat anyone on the day….we just have to find the magic ingrediant called …CONSISTENCY…

Guys this is nothing but déjà vu……and I’m sick of hearing and reading about. We genuinely start a season well but come unstuck after about a month. Hope we rectify it.

The same can be said for every team in the comp.
The competition is so close that any team can beat another on any given day.

The focus and true test of where each and every club/team are at, is if they win more than they lose throughout 26 rounds (consistency).
That should be enough to play finals footy, only then does the optimism of being able to beat anybody really come into play.

@maxxy86:

Guys this is nothing but déjà vu……and I’m sick of hearing and reading about. We genuinely start a season well but come unstuck after about a month. Hope we rectify it.

this has been a problem for a while maxxy86,we need to perform "consistently "well throughout the 26 rounds…I keep having nightmares about the Raiders vTigers at LO last year where we had a big lead and lost the game…then we end up beating a gun side not long after…

@Geo.:

agree, he isnt too far wrong with what he’s saying.

i remember reading somewhere that we had a better record against the top 8 sides than a couple of sides who finished in the 8 (i think souths and saints). yet we somehow lose to garbage like the knights twice.

peter sterling said our team has the talent but we lack a few seasoned first graders who wont get flustered when things go against us or we start blowing a 22 point lead (i.e against the dogs and raiders). in guys like joel edwards and tim grant i think we have that.

The next bit of gumph will be ‘we defended well but we still need to compete for the 80 minutes’

Like others,this is the sort of stuff we have been reading in mid January for the past 50 years. Not trying to be cynical but we have read it all before. One point they did make that I have been saying for years, is they have to reduce the gap between the good games and their bad games.

Anyway like all other years this going to be hard slog for our mob, time will tell if they have what it takes to walk the walk to match the talk

it must be offseason so lets report more dribble.

The game is won on the field not during offseason where every side reports they trained harder than ever and are in for their best season yet.

Please spare my the scripted dribble.

Only a top 8 finish is acceptable otherwise a wasteful season.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.