Targets for 2017

• Who do you think we should target and how do you think we should get them? We’re unlikely to be a draw card in terms of immediate premiership success, so money and opportunity are going to be our main tools.

I think we need to add experience and stability to the back row. As usual the Panthers are overstocked there:

Bryce Cartwright (2018) - should be an 80 minute player by the end of the season
    Chris Grevsmuhl (2018) - joins them next year and can play prop or second row
    Trent Merrin (2018) - is best played at lock for a solid 65-70 minutes per game
    Tyrone Peachey (2017) - no reason he can’t play big minutes and is probably not going to be happy stuck as a utility
    Elijah Taylor (2016) - needs to be used as an 80 minute tackling machine or you’re wasting him

I would target Elijah Taylor with a reasonably generous offer and the opportunity for a guaranteed 80 minutes at lock. He’s by no means a star in attack but you’ll rarely get less than 40 tackles a game out of him, and at good efficiency. We’ve invested in potential to deliver us superstars in attack, we need to surround that potential with solid, professional players and Taylor is that in spades.

More generally I think Manly are a good club to target. They’ve hit the player market heavily this off season and they’re going to feel the sting from that over the next year or two. They’ve got a lot of players coming off contract this year and while they’ll be happy to let quite a few go (like Mateo), they will want to lock up Liam Knight long term and that’s going to cost them. Jorge Taufua and Jamie Buhrer might become available with a decent offer and I think they would both be improvements to our current squad.

• A lot will depend on what Moses and Brooks decide to do. If they decide to go elsewhere than obviously we will be looking for a six and seven. Also we have Woods off contract

• I think the 1st thing is to work out who we are going to keep. I am very surprised about the number of recruits that are on one year deals. I would think that none of these are on big money, and if they do have a big year, they will be in demand and we will be forced to pay overs to keep them.

Off contract Players I would have a serious look at: Brenko Lee, Blake Leary, Liam Knight, Jayson Bukaya, Matt Gillett, Ben Henry, Ethan Lowe, Robbie Rochow, with Gillett & Rochow probably the pick.

If Moses & Brooks do go elsewhere, would look at Cornish, Wallace, Williams, Cronk, Hampton, Nikorima or even a benji comeback as options. Please no Daniel Mortimer!!

Funny thing is though regardless of contracts, who knows who will become available at the end of 2016.

• Any quality centre. For the rest I think I need to wait a few months to know who has stepped up and/or fulfilled their promise.

Of course a lot depends on our potential mid season retention of the halves, for which the standing $600k offer would probably not be enough for this season let alone next if they were available to other clubs. Moses is a must keep as he will be a top flight half and if Brooks has improved from his already first grade standard, he will also need to be retained.

• @supercoach:

A lot will depend on what Moses and Brooks decide to do. If they decide to go elsewhere than obviously we will be looking for a six and seven. Also we have Woods off contract

I thought that Woods was one of the few we have contracted for next season, so that will have to be a priority before looking elsewhere.

• @Harvey:

I think the 1st thing is to work out who we are going to keep. I am very surprised about the number of recruits that are on one year deals. I would think that none of these are on big money, and if they do have a big year, they will be in demand and we will be forced to pay overs to keep them.

Off contract Players I would have a serious look at: Brenko Lee, Blake Leary, Liam Knight, Jayson Bukaya, Matt Gillett, Ben Henry, Ethan Lowe, Robbie Rochow, with Gillett & Rochow probably the pick.

If Moses & Brooks do go elsewhere, would look at Cornish, Wallace, Williams, Cronk, Hampton, Nikorima or even a benji comeback as options. Please no Daniel Mortimer!!

Funny thing is though regardless of contracts, who knows who will become available at the end of 2016.

Liam Knight looks like something special.

• @formerguest:

@supercoach:

A lot will depend on what Moses and Brooks decide to do. If they decide to go elsewhere than obviously we will be looking for a six and seven. Also we have Woods off contract

I thought that Woods was one of the few we have contracted for next season, so that will have to be a priority before looking elsewhere.

Not 100% sure on Wood’s contract,but pretty sure it’s up for renewal come 2017. Anyway someone will tell me Iam wrong quick smart if Iam barking up the wrong tree

• Firstly,there have been some good names mentioned in this thread,personally there are some I would grab asap,however,I will reserve my picks until we as a club get the salary cap debacle in full control and see how our recruits work out…
    Secondly,a lot depends on who stays and who wants to go,particularly if the 6/7 want to go…when decisions are final then we can probably afford some classy talented players in the forwards and the backs…

• I imagine we’ll lose Tedesco, Woods and Moses, sign Bryson Goodwin, Ben Creagh and Tyrone Roberts… and there’ll still be people on here who think we’ve recruited well and are a chance for the top eight.

• If brooks and Moses leave we still have drinkwater rankin and Littlejohn

😮

• ForumSupporter

@supercoach:

@formerguest:

@supercoach:

Not 100% sure on Wood’s contract,but pretty sure it’s up for renewal come 2017. Anyway someone will tell me Iam wrong quick smart if Iam barking up the wrong tree

One of the few contracted till the end of 2017…you asked…

I think how hard and who we target will have still depend on what Farah intends to do…if Ayoub is to be believed Robbie will be seeing out his contract…personally I think this will be his last and he’ll be off to enjoy a couple of years in the ESL watching Liverpool…

Who to target will then again depend on who we want to retain…Cherrington should be a priority…think both halves will stay…so again quality centres and backrowers should be where we are looking… Nelson Asofa-Solomona from the Storm and Raymond Faitala-Mariner from the Warriors are 2… I wouldn’t mind seeing in Wests Tigers colours…

• We need to splash out and buy Marketable Names… They must be either SOO or Australian Representatives that will bring in new customers via greater media exposure.

Israel Folou is the highest option, then we can work down the list from there.

• @supercoach:

If Moses and especially Brooks don’t improve their form we would likely still be looking for a six and seven. Wests Tigers have invested very heavily on these two.

• My first choice would be Addison ‘the steamroller’ Demetriou , NYC center from Manly. He should be on the cheaper side, but with huge potential, and the type of player we definitely need.

https://www.facebook.com/ManlySeaEagles/posts/10153508564700993

http://nrlportal.com/demetriou-leaves-trails-of-destruction/

• @Tiger Watto:

We need to splash out and buy Marketable Names… They must be either SOO or Australian Representatives that will bring in new customers via greater media exposure.

Israel Folou is the highest option, then we can work down the list from there.

Yep, we need leaders
    We have two new ones…we need natural leaders

Recent Topics