Sue ready for new responsibilites..

• ForumSupporter

Tiger Sue ready for new responsibilites

Jack Brady Thu 28 Jan, 2016, 2:30pm
    By Jack Brady ‌, National Correspondent, NRL.com

A proud New Zealand-born Samoan international, Wests Tigers forward Sauaso Sue is hoping his place in the club’s seven-man leadership group will put him in a position to mentor his fellow young Pacific Islanders this season.

At just 23 years old Sue was named in the Tigers’ leadership group by coach Jason Taylor in December.

After getting past the initial shock of the appointment, Sue is now hoping that the Tigers’ young cubs see him as someone they are able to talk to about life on and off the field.

“Me being approachable all the time and being able to talk to everyone at the club is something I’ll be out to do now I’m in the leadership group,” Sue told NRL.com.

"I’ll still be doing what I usually do, like joking around all the time, but anyone can come to me now and discuss how they are travelling and if anything is wrong with training and stuff like that.

“I don’t think much of my game will change. I will still run the ball hard, but now I suppose in the back of my mind I know I’m in the leadership group and I have to give a bit more each game now.”

Joined in the group by veterans Matt Ballin, Robbie Farah, Dene Halatau and Chris Lawrence, Sue said his newfound position at the Tigers will only improve his performances on the field.

“They have taken me under my wing for my first year in the leadership group. Matt Ballin is such a good bloke,” Sue said.

"They have taught me a lot of stuff about leadership and how to hold myself in the group.

“I feel like a little kid sometimes but it’s been good learning how to balance work and play.”

In line with his work at the club, Sue was recently appointed a beyondblue ambassador with the Wests Tigers partnering up with the mental health organisation for the next three years.

In honour of Mosese Fotuaika, a young Tiger who took his own life in 2013 and someone who Sue was close with, the club’s charity partnership will pay dividends for all involved.

“When they approached me I was very excited. I knew a little bit about beyondblue but not as much as I would’ve liked, with the passing of Mosese and how common depression has become in the NRL, it’s good to have them on board,” Sue said.

"Hopefully they can educate us so we can maybe prevent such serious stuff occurring again.

“When Mosese passed away, there were plenty of Islanders at the club during that time so it really hit home. So with Chris [Lawrence] and me as ambassadors, I think it’ll help break down some walls.”

http://www.nrl.com/tiger-sue-ready-for-new-responsibilites/tabid/10874/newsid/91477/default.aspx

• ForumSupporter

Sue stepping it up another level will go a long way for us having a good season…I reckon he has it in him…

• Hopefully Sue will be ready to sign another WT contract.

• That’s a good read, thanks for posting.

• @Geo.:

Sue stepping it up another level will go a long way for us having a good season…I reckon he has it in him…

absolutely GEO,and hopefully the younger ones will want to follow in his footsteps and run the ball hard…

• Banned

I really hope he steps up this year. He seems to have a good rep on this forum but I haven’t seen anything to make me think he will turn into a gun player.

• I have found him to be a lazy player at times and can be poor in defence at times ( shoulder grabbing ) but when he hits ? it sticks .
    Hoping that the extra responsibility gives him a leg up to lead our Pack , have a lot of faith in him and think there is a lot more to come from Sue.

• I just don’t get it when he says he will have to give a bit more effort

I’m sorry but I was always taught that if you just lost you shouldn’t be able to walk off the field

Jesse saying he has some left in the tank just really irks me

• Happy, I thought the same when I read that. Im hoping he meant something different. Along the lines of setting an example for the new guys.

• I reckon sue is in for a big year he has been getting better every game and will be a big part of our pack this year I’m looking forward to see if he can step up his game and go to the next level

• ForumSupporter

@happy tiger:

I just don’t get it when he says he will have to give a bit more effort

I’m sorry but I was always taught that if you just lost you shouldn’t be able to walk off the field

😒 He gives 120% now he will go 135%…they can’t all be Chiefs

He was talking about leadership…With Galloway and Taupau missing from last years pack at 23 he feels confident enough with the added responsibility a role in the leadership group brings…

• @Geo.:

@happy tiger:

I just don’t get it when he says he will have to give a bit more effort

😒 He gives 120% now he will go 135%…they can’t all be Chiefs

He was talking about leadership…With Galloway and Taupau missing from last years pack at 23 he feels confident enough with the added responsibility a role in the leadership group brings…

No he wasn’t , just another slacker amongst our kingdom of slackers :brick:

• Sometimes young blokes don’t know what 100% really is. As you mature you see what other players do and begin to really contribute.
    You could be at a club where no one does any extra training and assume that’s what everyone does and that’s 100%. Some new guy turns up and starts doing all these extras outside of training and it shows you that your interpretation of 100% was way out.
    I noticed he mentioned Ballin. A bloke who had rarely missed the finals. Maybe there’s a new attitude around the place.
    Congrats on the recognition Sue, hope you have a great year.

• @gallagher:

Sometimes young blokes don’t know what 100% really is. As you mature you see what other players do and begin to really contribute.
    You could be at a club where no one does any extra training and assume that’s what everyone does and that’s 100%. Some new guy turns up and starts doing all these extras outside of training and it shows you that your interpretation of 100% was way out.
    I noticed he mentioned Ballin. A bloke who had rarely missed the finals. Maybe there’s a new attitude around the place.

I have been lucky all through my life to have had some very good mentors to help me through some difficult parts of my life. Without the guidance of these people, I would not have been as successful, as I have been. Maybe Ballin is the mentor that Sue has needed in the past, but at that time there has not been anyone that could play that role for Sue. Hopefully, Sue has found a suitable mentor in Ballin!

• @gallagher:

Sometimes young blokes don’t know what 100% really is. As you mature you see what other players do and begin to really contribute.

And some blokes see the short cuts that others take

And if you spoke to many they would probably say that is the WT’s way

This way needs to go NOW , be accountable , let your actions be your epitaph

Recent Topics