Paul Stringer has big wraps on Aspelli Fine...

@Goose:

I think that people underestimate the gap between NRL and state cup.

Fine is a very good reserve grader. If he he Lovett has switched places, everyone would be saying I cant believe they are picking Fine and not giving Lovett ago etc….

In lower grades the likes of Lovett and so forth were stand out players, just like the blokes that are continually suggested to take their place.

IMO FIne will again be a very good NSW cup player, but unlikely to play first grade.

I agree. It’s the same with guys like Drinkwater, Milone, Farlow, Santi, Junior Moors, BMM, the Schirnacks - they can be very solid reserves players but the calibre of the opposition each week is so much lower than first grade. When they shift up grade, general solid footballing is not enough, you need to truly excel at at least one facet of the game.

I guy like Fine, I just don’t see it in his reserve performances or the two NRL games he played. That’s not to say he can’t come good, but he’s been in the system a while now and been overtaken by other players.

Some have made this about Taylor and “his favourites” - Potter wasn’t much interested in giving Fine a run either, and Roosters were ok to release him to us after several years in their NYC side.

I can’t think of many multi-season reserve graders who get the call up to firsts and stay there… Marty Taupau is a recent one, David Gower also. Usually by that stage, especially for a club without great depth, the player has already showed what he is capable of. And like everett said, if they are good enough they would get a run somewhere else as a bargain-buy.

Interesting that those who have coached him say he’s the best player on the team. This has been going on for 2-3 years now with Fletcher and now Stringer too. But someone who’s never coached him on the field doesn’t rate him?

How can those who work closely with him on a regular basis think he has the skill and attitude to excel, yet the top coach simply dismisses him. He’s stood out at nsw cup level far more than the likes of Lovett, Milone, Buchanan. Fine has consistently been one of the best on ground when he’s played.

Maybe he won’t have an awesome NRL career, but he should have been ahead of the likes of Lovett who had proven nothing in comparison.

Probably time for him to leave. If we don’t want him surely someone else would take him at least for nsw cup? He was in the team of the year in 2014, and played for Tonga. I doubt there’d be zero interest in him. Can see him excelling at somewhere like Roosters or the Storm for some reason. He can do his job and do it well. Simple no frills player who’ll put in 100% every week, and play at full pace in everything he does.

Though i’d also heard Madness played very well in the 9s.

@Balmain Boy:

Though i’d also heard Madness played very well in the 9s.

BB,Stringer also gave McConnachie a huge wrap,he said madness played very well during the Memorial nines,I certainly hope we see him take the field in the FG team at some stage…Although some say he is a bit behind fitness wise,I think he is a machine in attack and defense,I hope he gets the opportunity to run on the field in FG…

@Balmain Boy:

Interesting that those who have coached him say he’s the best player on the team. This has been going on for 2-3 years now with Fletcher and now Stringer too. But someone who’s never coached him on the field doesn’t rate him?

How can those who work closely with him on a regular basis think he has the skill and attitude to excel, yet the top coach simply dismisses him. He’s stood out at nsw cup level far more than the likes of Lovett, Milone, Buchanan. Fine has consistently been one of the best on ground when he’s played.

Maybe he won’t have an awesome NRL career, but he should have been ahead of the likes of Lovett who had proven nothing in comparison.

Probably time for him to leave. If we don’t want him surely someone else would take him at least for nsw cup? He was in the team of the year in 2014, and played for Tonga. I doubt there’d be zero interest in him. Can see him excelling at somewhere like Roosters or the Storm for some reason. He can do his job and do it well. Simple no frills player who’ll put in 100% every week, and play at full pace in everything he does.

He was at the Roosters and they released him!!

Don’t you read other posts?

@magpiecol:

@Balmain Boy:

Huh? No idea what you’re on about.

Roosters Sg Ball? So what. Who says they released him rather than him wanting to play NYC with us? Who knows…

@Balmain Boy:

@magpiecol:

@Balmain Boy:

Huh? No idea what you’re on about.

Roosters Sg Ball? So what. Who says they released him rather than him wanting to play NYC with us? Who knows…

No, he played for Roosters NYC 2011 and start of 2012, before they released him to WT. He played out 2012 for Tigers in NYC then transitioned to NSW Cup.

As to why he left Roosters, sure maybe he wanted to play for us. Maybe he had a burning desire to be a Tiger and Roosters could not offer anything to dull that fire.

But I’m lead to believe in many posts on here that players don’t really want to come to Tigers and Roosters “never miss their man”.

Asipeli is just another in the long line of great quality reserve grade 2nd rowers that have come through Both Sides of the Club. Good player and a hell of a nice fella - Maybe too nice….
It’s hard to say exactly what he is missing to take the next step up, If anything I’d say it’s maybe urgency…
TBH - Outside Gareth Ellis, I don’t think we’ve ever had a standout back rower - Plenty of toilers, Who went over and above every week, A few kids that could have been anything (For one reason or another weren’t) and plenty of Guys who are loved and rated by the fans - But that’s about it.
It’s never been any different and seems to filter through both senior grades.

There are a few brighter prospects in the 20’s, Hopefully this next crop finally delivers.

@batboy:

Asipeli is just another in the long line of great quality reserve grade 2nd rowers that have come through Both Sides of the Club. Good player and a hell of a nice fella - Maybe too nice….
It’s hard to say exactly what he is missing to take the next step up, If anything I’d say it’s maybe urgency…
TBH - Outside Gareth Ellis, I don’t think we’ve ever had a standout back rower - Plenty of toilers, Who went over and above every week, A few kids that could have been anything (For one reason or another weren’t) and plenty of Guys who are loved and rated by the fans - But that’s about it.

There are a few brighter prospects in the 20’s, Hopefully this next crop finally delivers.

Pretty much agree… Outside of Ellis we have always lacked a standout backrower.

I reckon Lawrence might make the jump in class with another year there and I get a good feeling about Bailey Sironen’s energy & skill-set.

I think its was great to send our reserve grade boys to this tournament for an early hit-out. Good to see them dig in and get the best possible result.

But lets remember this was a 3rd grade tournament and not get too excited re NRL selection.

I’d say the boys who played know they will be in Reggies for most of the year, and will only get a look in if injury strikes. In previous years, it seemed like the Reserve Grade Squad was only assembled after all the Trials were finished, and was a big contributor to there traditional slow starts to the year.

Hopefully this will spur the boys on this weekend in NZ… Fire Up Tigers!!!

@Tiger Watto:

@batboy:

I reckon Lawrence might make the jump in class with another year there and I get a good feeling about Bailey Sironen’s energy & skill-set.

I think everyone thought poor Dwyer was a good percentage of the way to being that next standout. I often wonder how the team would had Dwyer and Tuiaki not been hurt and instead played out long careers.

I find myself sitting back often and waiting for the Dwyer card to get played……
For mine, He mostly played at prop off the bench (A sheenius move)

When he was starting back rower he had a long way to go in Defence, Him and Lui together on the same side was a nightmare!!

• To be realistic, He is remembered for that one hit…

That said, He DID have a pot load of potential and, Well… Y’all know the rest!!

TBH - Our best back row was the first one in 2000. Crackers, Tyran and the often overlooked Mark Stimson. They had plenty of attitude and desire… Along with the Props of Walker and Lowrie.
Unfortunately, Back then we had the motor - But not a lot of flash at the back (Unless Craigie decided to turn it on)

@jirskyr:

@Tiger Watto:

@batboy:

I think everyone thought poor Dwyer was a good percentage of the way to being that next standout. I often wonder how the team would had Dwyer and Tuiaki not been hurt and instead played out long careers.

A ridiculously selective example, but imagine Tuiaki on the end of that break at the very end of the prelim final back in 2010 (as opposed to Beau Ryan).

knowing Sheens - Tuiaki would have been playing back up hooker off the bench by then.

@batboy:

I find myself sitting back often and waiting for the Dwyer card to get played……
For mine, He mostly played at prop off the bench (A sheenius move)

When he was starting back rower he had a long way to go in Defence, Him and Lui together on the same side was a nightmare!!

• To be realistic, He is remembered for that one hit…

That said, He DID have a pot load of potential and, Well… Y’all know the rest!!

TBH - Our best back row was the first one in 2000. Crackers, Tyran and the often overlooked Mark Stimson. They had plenty of attitude and desire… Along with the Props of Walker and Lowrie.
Unfortunately, Back then we had the motor - But not a lot of flash at the back (Unless Craigie decided to turn it on)

I did agree totally. Yeah he missed a few in defence, but in 2010 and 2011 he was really dangerous on the right side, with Ellis on the left. He got picked for City and I felt he was really coming on as a dangerous footballer.

To compare to Rob Lui as a turnstile tho - not that bad!

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.