Holmes probed over police incident, two Origin hopefuls banned

Holmes probed over police incident, two Origin hopefuls banned
By WWOS staff
an hour ago

Cronulla Sharks star Valentine Holmes was allegedly involved in an incident with police in Brisbane during a night out in the Emerging Origin squad.

Queensland Rugby League (QRL) is investigating the alleged incident with new Maroons coach Kevin Walters sanctioning two of the players over the night out, News Corp reported.

The two unnamed players will be ineligible for Origin selection this year after breaking curfew during the camp.

The Emerging Origin squad camp featuring 20 players was held in Brisbane last weekend.

It was new Queensland coach Kevin Walters’ first chance to assess the Maroons’ depth before the 2016 series.

Dane Gagai was not considered for 2014 Origin selection after he missed a training session while at the Emerging Origin camp two years ago. Betros said the duo who breached the curfew would suffer the same fate.

“The Queensland Rugby League won’t be selecting them for anything for 12 months,” Betros told AAP on Monday. “It’s a massive setback for those players. It’s the only way they will learn.” Betros said it was the worst possible first impression they could have made with new Maroons mentor Walters.

“Kevin is very disappointed in them,” he said. "He is strong on discipline. “He feels those players don’t want to buy into what he is doing with Queensland. They can go back to club land.” Betros said it remained to be seen whether the players could reverse their fortunes the way Gagai did.

Gagai’s 2014 training camp indiscretion allowed Melbourne’s Will Chambers to leapfrog him on the Queensland backline pecking order. However, Gagai finally made his Origin debut on the wing in game three in 2015 after showing good form and an even better attitude at NRL club Newcastle.

Read more at http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2016/02/01/17/04/valentine-holmes-under-investigation-for-incident-with-police#dl5iOvWQFkt4Gkt0.99

Think this belongs in the ONLY in QUEENSLAND files…

Massive beat up…

I like the stance they have taken on it though. When will these guys ever learn?

Roosters need to take a leaf from the Qld form

But they won’t , they are above any rules that anyone else plays by

Bloody idiots. Great way to sabotage your own career.

There were reports Holmes is in more trouble than just missing curfew?

Munster is also pretty loose on the juice.

Naughty boys… Go stand in the corner!

QRL could consider more Maroons bans
By AAP
The Queensland Rugby League have not ruled out banning more players from selection in 2016 following a disastrous Emerging Origin camp in Brisbane. Days after being ear marked for a 2016 State of Origin debut, Brisbane’s Anthony Milford has become embroiled in a Queensland Rugby League probe that has already resulted in two players copping 12 month bans.

Cronulla’s Valentine Holmes and Melbourne’s Cameron Munster won’t be considered for Origin selection this year after breaking curfew at new coach Kevin Walters’ disastrous Emerging Origin camp in Brisbane on the weekend. Holmes is also being investigated by the NRL Integrity Unit after copping on the spot fines totalling $1412 for obstructing police and public nuisance at a Fortitude Valley cab rank early on Sunday morning. And the QRL have not ruled out announcing more suspensions after reports emerged that up to four other players defied Walters at his first official event as Maroons coach and broke curfew.

Fox Sports and Nine Network identified the other four players as Milford and Brisbane teammate Jarrod Wallace, Newcastle’s Korbin Sims and Sydney Roosters prop Dylan Napa. Fairfax Media reported Munster was not with Holmes when fined by Queensland Police but the pair copped bans after refusing to tell the QRL who else broke curfew following a team dinner on Saturday night.

Earlier on Saturday, Walters had spoken highly of Milford’s 2016 Origin chances. Walters said “Blind Freddy” could see Milford was destined for Origin as early as this year after helping guide Brisbane to the 2015 NRL grand final. “He had a great season last year in a lot of ways and, if he continues to improve the way that he has the last couple of years, he’s got Origin written all over him,” Walters told reporters at the camp launch.

QRL boss Peter Betros said Walters was keen to stamp his authority in the investigation after taking over from the hugely successful Mal Meninga.

Not a good look, but way down the scale in off season incidents of the past decade. Fine,public humiliation having your mug on national tele and banned from QLD selection for 12 months is a pretty good punishment. Most of these kids learn from their mistakes,except for a small minority!!!

@willow:

I like the stance they have taken on it though. When will these guys ever learn?

This is what I will never understand.
If I was lucky enough to be able to play sport for a living I’d be sure as hell to not mess that up by doing something stupid and getting myself into trouble.

I don’t think these guys realise how fortunate they are sometimes.

@Geo.:

Think this belongs in the ONLY in QUEENSLAND files…

Massive beat up…

Okay maybe it’s not crime of the century but it says a lot about the entitlement complex some of these guys have. Line for a taxi? Straight to the front. Official tells you to stop? Ignore them. Driver tells you to get out? Give them a gob full. And that’s before you get to the situation where they’re basically on a work trip, get given clear instructions and then ignore them.

Peanuts…

@supercoach:

Not a good look, but way down the scale in off season incidents of the past decade. Fine,public humiliation having your mug on national tele and banned from QLD selection for 12 months is a pretty good punishment. Most of these kids learn from their mistakes,except for a small minority!!!

Most kids would learn from their mistakes but some rugby league footballers are very late maturers mainly due to the fact that they have hardly been exposed to real discipline,

@Newtown:

@supercoach:

Most kids would learn from their mistakes but some rugby league footballers are very late maturers mainly due to the fact that they have hardly been exposed to real discipline,

I think it is more the fact they see there name in print and on tele all the time and start believing they have film star or rock star status and they are better than everyone else. Most of them since they were young kids have had people slapping them on the back and telling them their great and they develop a healthy sized ego. Mix grog and a big ego and its a disaster waiting to happen

CLUB STATEMENT

Tue 2nd February, 11:45AM
A A

Media Release
Our Club, in collaboration with the NRL Integrity Unit, has today completed its investigation into an incident which occurred in Brisbane on the weekend concerning our player Valentine Holmes.

At the time of the incident, Holmes was in Brisbane taking part in an Emerging Queensland Origin camp.

Following advice from the player and the provision of infringement notices issued to him in relation to obstructing police and public nuisance, resulting in on the spot fines totalling $1412, an immediate investigation was undertaken by the Club involving all relevant stakeholders.

As a result of this investigation the Club has made the decision to stand Holmes down from the Sharks Auckland Nines squad, in addition to the player’s 12-month ban from representing Queensland at Origin level and the potential associated financial costs that go with that ban as handed down by the Queensland Rugby League.

As a part of his undertakings, Valentine will commit to an ongoing program with our Club’s Welfare and Education team to better understand the importance of his obligations and responsibilities as an NRL player.

Sharks CEO, Lyall Gorman said; “Our Club has a zero tolerance to matters such as this and is extremely disappointed with the outcomes that occurred on the weekend. I am satisfied with the contrition shown by the player and his understanding that he has let down, not just himself, but so many people including the game overall.

“Following the internal discussions that have been held with Valentine I am comfortable with not only his genuine remorse, but also his absolute commitment that this incident will be a one off event in what up until now has been an unblemished and exemplary career on and off the field.

“I am equally comfortable that following his banning from State of Origin for 2016 and the potential financial imposts that come with that ban in addition to missing the Auckland Nines and other internal undertakings the player has made, that an appropriate sanction has been applied.”

In apologising for his actions, Holmes said;

“I’d like to start by saying sorry to the Queensland staff, the players involved in the Origin camp and my Sharks teammates for my actions over the weekend.

“I’d also like to apologise to my Coach, my Club, our Members and our fans for putting them in a bad light.

“This is my first indiscretion of any sort and while I know it is totally unacceptable, I also know it certainly won’t happen again.

“Once again I’m sorry and I’ll be making sure I only give the fans and media good things to write and talk about in the future.”

Oooooooh…stood down from the 9’s…ummm arrrrrr

The thing that grinds my gears, even if some of the things they are doing aren’t serious, is their egos. I guess its unavoidable when you’re young, famous and have money and women falling off you everywhere you go. If i was running the NRL i’d sack players for having egos. God i’m gonna get along great with my kids when they’re teenagers.

Some footy skills and speed but certainly no brain. :crazy

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.