Jury duty

About to go into deliberations on two counts in a criminal trial, as part of what seems a very divided panel.

Anyone else served and what was it like?

Yeah I did a while ago now, and wasn’t too concerned and was prepared to do my duty and all that.

Once empanelled, they read the charges, and they were very numerous child sex crimes, my heart dropped, I wasn’t ready for that.

Thankfully it was a case to determine whether he was fit to stand trial and we didn’t have to listen to all the awful details.
More or less all the expert testimony was in line and it was clear he was incapable to stand trial and he would be confined to an institution to he was (prob never)

I remember well that a number of the other jurors wanted him to stand trial anyway (understandably) and were making comments like I could see in his eyes he knew what was going on and stuff…. the judge in the end basically instructed us to say he wasn’t fit. Basically said we were only weighing up 2 witnesses opinions who both said the same thing (basically he was so mentally incapacitated he didnt know what was going on)

It was a very different case, but Im glad I did it, it was interesting.

Yes I’ve been on jury duty yonks ago. Expect sandwiches for lunch every freakin day… But seriously don’t worry and just do your best.

I too was on jury duty many years ago that involved testimony from one of Sydney’s most notorious detectives. It was interesting but have no desire to do it again especially after what transpired not long after the case.

@Telltails:

I too was on jury duty many years ago that involved testimony from one of Sydney’s most notorious detectives. It was interesting but have no desire to do it again especially after what transpired not long after the case.

Former detectives I’m guessing… He was often in court

Yes got on two cases many years ago

A dog that was killed and a rape case

I haven’t had to do jury duty,but I was hauled into the back of a paddy wagon twice when I was in Wagga,apparently I looked similar to a knife wielding lunatic who assaulted a woman in a park…
The other time my height was the same as a man seen running away from a burgulary in an up market suburb…

Neither occasion did they positively identify me…both times they said I was there just to make up the numbers…I think I was to good looking and well mannered to be in amongst that lot…haha…
Very Scarry scenarios though and you do get a bit nervous…

Sorry guys I was hauled in for a line up,you take a number and stand against the wall,twice…

@Yossarian:

@Telltails:

Still is …

@Telltails:

@Yossarian:

@Telltails:

Still is …

Well yes. This could be his last time though.

@Yossarian:

@Telltails:

@Yossarian:

@Telltails:

Still is …

Unless they find more dirt on him.

I would be fascinated by jury duty, I’ve not been called up yet.

Take notes including date and time so you can back up inconsistencies

@Yossarian:

@Telltails:

@Yossarian:

@Telltails:

Still is …

Yep looks that way.

@formerguest:

About to go into deliberations on two counts in a criminal trial, as part of what seems a very divided panel.

Anyone else served and what was it like?

I was on a jury many years ago that involved a case that was a mistrial and was being re trialed. It was a very interesting case involving hyper inflationary world war two currency, a smart con man and the stupidity of Westpac bank. It was interesting to say the least how people determine guilt or innocence with or without facts.
Enjoy.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.