NRL To Experiment With New Rules In Trials...

• ForumSupporter

NRL To Experiment With New Rules In Trials
    The NRL will experiment with using differential penalties for incorrect play-the-balls in the upcoming trials matches ahead of the new season.

The anticipated shot clock will be in use during this Saturday’s Charity Shield match

The NRL will experiment with using differential penalties for incorrect play-the-balls in the upcoming trials matches ahead of the new season.

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said the ruck area needed urgent regulation and that the success of the rule change in the trials would determine whether it stays on for the new season.

“It is a relatively minor offence but it is a source of frustration for many and it is clear there needs to be some penalty applied for failing to make a genuine attempt to play the ball,” Greenberg said.

“We understand how critical penalties can be in the context of a game, but a differential penalty will ensure that referees can apply the rules more vigilantly.”

The NRL has also moved to deny teams forming walls to prevent charge-downs on field goals attempts, with referees now able to penalise offending defences for obstruction, beginning immediately.

“If two or more players form a wall (side by side) next to the play the ball and don’t allow the opportunity for a defending player to move directly towards the player in possession, the referee will penalise for obstruction,” the new rule states.

The anticipated shot clock will also be in use during this Saturday’s All Star clash in Brisbane, as well as the Charity Shield match between St George-Illawarra and South Sydney.

Teams now have 35 seconds for scrums and 30 seconds for dropouts, or else the offending team will give away a penalty.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/news/2016/2/nrl-to-experiment-with-new-rules-in-trials/

• ForumSupporter

Clear up the ruck…play the ball correctly or a differential Penalty…mmm OK…

I’ll give it to RD 3… 😒

• Hahaha.
    …experiment…
    …new rules…
    Really?

• how about getting rid of golden point in the trials.

• how about they DECIDE rule changes in the four months they call the off-season??

how would you feel if you’ve just had a 2-3 month off-season preparing for a set of rules that may change 2 weeks before the season began?! The people running the game are dead-set morons. Greenberg is the biggest puppet the NRL have had yet.

have they set a transfer window yet? I’m not looking forward to hearing about how some team’s star player is changing teams in 2018 when we’re only in 2016.

• @westTAHger:

how about getting rid of golden point in the trials.

I doubt theyd have golden point in trials

• @krayola:

how about they DECIDE rule changes in the four months they call the off-season??

how would you feel if you’ve just had a 2-3 month off-season preparing for a set of rules that may change 2 weeks before the season began?! The people running the game are dead-set morons. Greenberg is the biggest puppet the NRL have had yet.

have they set a transfer window yet? I’m not looking forward to hearing about how some team’s star player is changing teams in 2018 when we’re only in 2016.

these were all announced ages ago or existing rules that theyre focusing on more.

and not to mention they’ve been training with the nrl refs in the last few months to let them know about these type of changes as they do every year

• @Geo.:

Clear up the ruck…play the ball correctly or a differential Penalty…mmm OK…

I’ll give it to RD 3… 😒

That about sums it up Geo. 😐

• @pHyR3:

@krayola:

how about they DECIDE rule changes in the four months they call the off-season??

these were all announced ages ago or existing rules that theyre focusing on more.

and not to mention they’ve been training with the nrl refs in the last few months to let them know about these type of changes as they do every year

My bad. The article makes it sound like if the rules are unsuccessful in the trials then they won’t be implemented in the regular season. Seems too close to the season to be reactive to me.

• Exactly what play the ball penalties are we talking

Foot on the ball .

What about walking off the mark , facing the opposition try line , being totally upright when playing the ball , no contact with the markers

• The walking off the mark is a massive irritation to me. Particularly when they play the ball then shove or grab the marker as though they’ve said something to them and want to get in a stink. It’s all an act to prevent the marker doing his job and should be penalised as obstruction

• There really is something to be said about playing rugby league in the old days….yes,yes,I’m referring to when I played back in the eighties,we were taught at training until it stuck in our heads,PLACE YOUR FOOT ON THE BALL AND PLAY IT BACK TO THE DUMMY HALF…this was a RULE of the game,the core of rugby league.Don’t get me wrong Im all for positive changes that benefit the game,however the basics of playing the game shouldn’t really be tampered with…To many times have we had rule changes only to be manipulated by teams and their coaches to their benefit while others stick to the rules of the change…the feeding of the scrum is another change that doesn’t conform to the original rules…feed the ball in the tunnel and let the hookers do their job…not now when the ball is fed into the second row…just a couple of examples of CHANGE…

• Agreed Happy… The walking off the mark [and steping sideways] needs to be penalised.

This and the foot on the ball, is purely attacking teams attempting to gain an unfair advantage.

• If you fail to play the ball with your foot, you should be penalised and have your foot amputated.

• @Cultured Bogan:

If you fail to play the ball with your foot, you should be penalised and have your foot amputated.

Souths and Brisbane would have plenty of spare feet and thats just unfair

Recent Topics