Souff's target Campbelltown...

• ForumSupporter

South Sydney Rabbitohs target Campbelltown fans as Wests Tigers look to win back the region
    Date February 11, 2016 - 6:40PM
    Michael Chammas
    Sports reporter

Campbelltown City Council has been in discussions with South Sydney Rabbitohs about building a presence in the area that could lead to the club playing a trial there.

Campbelltown has traditionally been the heartland of Western Suburbs Magpies, and most recently the Wests Tigers, however there has been a growing feeling among council members that the Tigers have neglected the region in recent years.

It led to discussions between Campbelltown City Council and the Rabbitohs, who have since been engaging in the Campbelltown community in a bid to expand their stretch in the west.

While the Tigers’ previous administration were guilty of abandoning south-west Sydney, new chief executive Justin Pascoe has vowed to win back the region after identifying Campbelltown as a key to the club’s longevity.

“It is not a concern that South Sydney are targeting that area as they have targeted others,” Pascoe said.

"Competition creates a healthy environment. What I would say is that irrelevant of what South Sydney or any club is doing, we as an organisation have strategically identified that Campbelltown and that whole south west region are extremely important for the longevity of the Wests Tigers.

“As a consequence, over the last five months we have been implementing and executing strategies to engage again with the community there, and that will continue.”

While the Rabbitohs won’t move an NRL game to Campbelltown given they have already moved games to Cairns and Perth, there are discussions about potentially playing a trial match at Campbelltown Sports Stadium in the future.

They recently hosted a fan day at Fisher’s Ghost festival in Campbelltown and have received requests from schools to do healthy lifestyle Souths Cares presentations.

Since moving to ANZ Stadium in 2006, South Sydney have enjoyed a substantial growth in membership in western Sydney with close to 60 per cent of their members living in the inner west and greater western Sydney.

They also take games to Cairns, Perth and Gosford, with 1500 members in Western Australia, 3000 members in Queensland and 1500 members on the Central Coast.

“Souths’ traditional geographic heartland is south Sydney but it’s very expensive to live there now and many of our members and fans live in western Sydney,” Rabbitohs boss John Lee said.

“It’s important, therefore, that we service those fans in western Sydney. That’s why we play the majority of our games in western Sydney at the Olympic stadium.”

Over the next 10 years, more than 100,000 people are expected to be living in the Narellan and Camden regions, with the Rabbitohs identifying the area as a potential growth market as the club begins to develop a footprint in the south-west.

Campbelltown City Council general manager Lindy Deitz said they would like to see more Wests Tigers matches as well as other NRL teams and sporting codes play at the stadium.

“If opportunities arise for South Sydney Rabbitohs to play matches at Campbelltown Sports Stadium, we would welcome the opportunity for this to occur,” Deitz said.

Rival codes have tried to infiltrate what has traditionally been a rugby league stronghold, with Pascoe determined to ensure the Tigers remain the No.1 team in town.

“We’ve been talking to as many as the key stakeholders as possible, that’s including the junior league out there, as well as engaging across our organisation and with the key people of council,” Pascoe said.

"We’ve been implementing and attending community events, we’re visiting over 85 schools and reaching more than 22,000 kids next Wednesday in that region and have worked with council to ensure that game day is a far greater spectacle and experience. We’re working with corporates in that region on the best way to engage with people of the area.

“We’ve previously rarely trained at Campbelltown but we’ll be out there every day next week and hold an open session to the community. We will aggressively make sure that Campbelltown remains a big part of this organisation. And that’s against our rival NRL clubs and other sports.”

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/south-sydney-rabbitohs-target-campbelltown-fans-as-wests-tigers-look-to-win-back-the-region-20160211-gmrr8c.html?platform=hootsuite#ixzz3zr6XwWRh
    Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

• Ah good old Souths. Always ready to take help when they need it and then kick the same people when they’re down. If the Sharks were struggling they’d start eyeing off Sutherland. Classless bottom feeders. Always and forever.

• Maybe Cambelltown council need to reduce there rental on the stadium?

• You’d think this would be enough to spur our club into action, but then knowing our club you probay wouldn’t.

• @GNR4LIFE:

You’d think this would be enough to spur our club into action, but then knowing our club you probably wouldn’t.

That’s probably the plan by Campbelltown Council … Trying to get as many clubs as they can to use the ground

• Alien would be messing his pants 😆

• @Tigerdon:

@GNR4LIFE:

You’d think this would be enough to spur our club into action, but then knowing our club you probably wouldn’t.

That’s probably the plan by Campbelltown Council … Trying to get as many clubs as they can to use the ground

So they should, you can’t reay blame them. The onus is on us, afterll, it’s supposed to be one of our heartlands. I don’t imagine the Panthers or Sharks would take too kindly to another club honing in on their turf.

• @Yossarian:

Ah good old Souths. Always ready to take help when they need it and then kick the same people when they’re down. If the Sharks were struggling they’d start eyeing off Sutherland. Classless bottom feeders. Always and forever.

A proud tradition of grubby actions stretching back to 1909…

• @GNR4LIFE:

@Tigerdon:

@GNR4LIFE:

So they should, you can’t reay blame them. The onus is on us, afterll, it’s supposed to be one of our heartlands. I don’t imagine the Panthers or Sharks would take too kindly to another club honing in on their turf.

Not blaming the council for looking for more dollars, the relationship between the WTs and Councils has been strained over the last few years. WTs are under financial pressure as well as the Councils . Because of the deals Homebush has done, it makes it hard for Councils to charge the top dollars they asking a few years back. Clubs like Souths that are now making a profit can but the heat back on the WTs getting chummy with Campbelltown Council. The WTs will have to respond and more than likely end up paying for it.

• They are dirty Mongrels and how quickly they forget.

Campbelltown is an area we have to protect for the simple fact if the NRL decide to reduce NRL teams in the Sydney area cause they feel there is to many teams there ? well Campbelltown could save us from relocating to another State or furthermore who knows maybe making us Merge with another Club , many wouldn’t be happy i guess cause it’s far from the CBD but we have a Stadium there that potentially can be built to a 40,000 seating Capacity if we were to show the NRL that we have the support to cater for it .

Do we want to go through what we did in 1999 again ? It’s a high possibility that the NRL will make teams merge in Sydney or make them relocate in time .
    Obviously there is a lot of Clubs running at a loss so the NRL making Sydney Clubs merge is a real high possibility and bringing a side in Perth and another team in Queensland could possibly be on there Agenda.

So Campbelltown could be our saving grace……just sayin.

• To be fair, we do play 4 games there and I imagine if it goes to piss with Leichhardt, there’s a very real possibility we’ll play another two games a year there.

• @Yossarian:

Ah good old Souths. Always ready to take help when they need it and then kick the same people when they’re down. If the Sharks were struggling they’d start eyeing off Sutherland. Classless bottom feeders. Always and forever.

I’m with you Yoss…Can’t stand them 😠

• Yeah, i’m sure 1 trial a year in Campbelltown is going to win the area for Souths. We keep hearing how the Tigers aren’t in the community enough and we play there 5 times a year.

Clubs are always looking for revenue and this is no different, just a club looking to sell a home game to turn a buck.

• If you look closely at the Campbell town Stadium,there is potential to expand the ground for more seating and parking etc,I have been there quite a few times over the years and always enjoy the atmosphere…I have been there when we have had 21000 there on a Friday night game and a Sunday afternoon had 19000,that’s not bad numbers for an NRL game…as much as we need the money from ANZ for our games there,we have said on many occasions that 20000_40000 crowd there and the place looks empty,with not a fantastic atmosphere…the point I’m making is,if our region,the Macarthur and others can get numbers to games with a great atmosphere and the team winning,who knows how big we can get,and really the travel to the stadium isn’t that gruelling for most,I travel from my place in the highlands in 50 mins,most of you city folk can jump on a train and get off at Leumeah Station and walk straight into the ground virtually…just a thought for the discussion…oh,as for South’s,who cares,they have to remember that they were almost non existent at one stage and should be grateful they have a huge backer to get them what they want,we will outshine them on the field and off it if our management do the right thing in the not so distant future… 🙏

• The impression that I’ve gotten from Pascoe is this yr is it for Cambo and Leichhardt. Wouldn’t surprise me if this is Souths motivation.

Recent Topics