Toovey or Cleary

• Hypothetical…if a decision was made to choose a new Wests Tigers coach sometime this year or next who would you choose Cleary or Toovey or maybe someone else?

• Banned

Personally I want to see JT succeed. I think he can get us playing well but I think he is a massive risk to our season.

Let’s wait and hope that he is a success.

• So we’re throwing the towel in already huh?

• I’d like to see Taylor get the squad firing. Changing coaches every year like an NFL team isn’t cool and it doesn’t create stability, which is what we need at the moment. I wouldn’t be opposed to either Tooves or Cleary coming in IF we needed a new coach.

• I admit I’m not much of a JT fan but if we are looking for other Coaches that means that our team are doing poorly on the field, which in turn means that FT will be on a downer.
    I’m craving for a successful side and I seriously hope JT can learn from his mistakes and get us firing.

Here’s hoping for an improved year.

• @willow:

I’d like to see Taylor get the squad firing. Changing coaches every year like an NFL team isn’t cool and it doesn’t create stability, which is what we need at the moment. I wouldn’t be opposed to either Tooves or Cleary coming in IF we needed a new coach.

I thought you said you would like JT to get the firing squad. I have a feeling this is more likely than the squad firing.In either case a bit early to be on the Taylor Death March bandwagon. I hope he learns and turns it around.

• I would be wary of Toovey, he had a very good side at Manly. A coach can only work with the cattle that he has. I am also not sold on Cleary, he has a big reputation, but what are his actual achivements? I do not think (due to $$ & reputation) that we would be attracting Bellamy or Bennett, so would need to see who is out there & interested.

• I have always been a Taylor sceptic but after seeing last nights game he may be swaying my opinion.

• Well a bit premature to say the least…IMO Taylor this season has the cattle to do some damage ,I do not want another Potter senario a guy sacked before he got at least a team that could show that he could coach.
    Taylor is under the pump yes but he has to be given time to gel this team either way if not sure talk about a replacement .

• Banned

@foreveratiger:

I seriously hope JT can learn from his mistakes and get us firing

\

@TYGA:

I hope he learns and turns it around.

Agreed. We all make mistakes and unfortunately Taylor did it while coaching our team last year. That doesn’t mean he can’t learn from that and correct it. Lets hope that he does.

• A Top 8 finish is obviously preferable … Given our playing roster and going on our previous past seasons it’s a top 10 finish or bye bye Taylor for me .

• lol i didnt think the OP wanted this thread to be about JT

he’s just asking who would you guys prefer

i’d go for cleary mostly because he has a sincere and honest approach to everything. toovey at times is a bit of a loose canon. as for their past credentials, cleary has been probably the best coach at the warriors and we are a bit like warriors '11.

• @Harvey:

I would be wary of Toovey, he had a very good side at Mana. A coach can only work with the cattle that he has. I am also not sold on Cleary, he has a big reputation, but what are his actual achivements? I do not think (due to $$ & reputation) that we would be attracting Bellamy or Bennett, so would need to see who is out there & interested.

Not being rude mate but to say what has Clearly achieved?

In 2007 as Coach of the Warriors he got them finishing the year in 4th position
    In 2008 as Coach of the Warriors he got them finishing the year in 8th position and won the 1st 2 semi final games before loosing the Grand Final qualifying game.
    In 2010 as a Coach of the Warriors he got them finishing the year in 5th position
    In 2011 as a Coach of the Warriors he got them finishing the year in 6th position and getting them to the Grand Final before loosing to Manly in the big one.

In 2014 Coaching the Panthers he got them finishing in 4th position and was 80 Minutes away from another Grand Final appearance loosing to the Bulldogs by 6 points in the Qualifying final

So all in all he has the runs on the board and has been more successful than Sheens in terms of finals appearance with the Wests Tigers, yeah sure he delivered Us a Premiership but Clearly has been more successful in terms of Finals appearances.

I’d have no objection to Cleary Coaching us if we needed a new Coach.

• Thankyou tig_prmz yes wasnt trying to bring any more hate onto jt,a friend of mine highly rates Geoff Toovey,especially with the turnaround last season he and the eagles achieved after a horrid start and ton of injuiries,which got me to thinking what others thought of him and also Ivan Cleary.

• @foreveratiger:

@Harvey:

I would be wary of Toovey, he had a very good side at Mana. A coach can only work with the cattle that he has. I am also not sold on Cleary, he has a big reputation, but what are his actual achivements? I do not think (due to $$ & reputation) that we would be attracting Bellamy or Bennett, so would need to see who is out there & interested.

Not being rude mate but to say what has Clearly achieved?

In 2007 as Coach of the Warriors he got them finishing the year in 4th position
    In 2008 as Coach of the Warriors he got them finishing the year in 8th position and won the 1st 2 semi final games before loosing the Grand Final qualifying game.
    In 2010 as a Coach of the Warriors he got them finishing the year in 5th position
    In 2011 as a Coach of the Warriors he got them finishing the year in 6th position and getting them to the Grand Final before loosing to Manly in the big one.

In 2014 Coaching the Panthers he got them finishing in 4th position and was 80 Minutes away from another Grand Final appearance loosing to the Bulldogs by 6 points in the Qualifying final

So all in all he has the runs on the board and has been more successful than Sheens in terms of finals appearance with the Wests Tigers, yeah sure he delivered Us a Premiership but Clearly has been more successful in terms of Finals appearances.

I’d have no objection to Cleary Coaching us if we needed a new Coach.

They were decent squads. His overall coaching win % is 49. We could look at others with a similar % like Daniel Anderson, Matt Elliott, Ivan Henjk. There are a number of blokes that may be looking for an oportunity like Jim Dymock, David Fairleigh, Kelly Egan & the Walker brothers. Cleary will bring a reputation, but likely to cost big $$ without a proven winning record.

Recent Topics