Jordon Rankin

• http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/tigers/jordan-rankin-ready-for-second-chance-at-nrl-following-debut-at-just-16/news-story/dea163e66e0800dedaeb04e7623b7e38
    Jordan Rankin ready for ‘second chance’ at NRL following debut at just 16
    February 15, 2016 12:00am
    Nick WalshawThe Daily Telegraph

JORDAN Rankin, for eighty years, has been the youngest footballer to play NRL.

And that, he insists, is the way it should stay.

“Because I’d hate to see anyone else go through what I did,’’ the new Wests Tigers winger said.

“At 16, I was a kid. Wasn’t anywhere near ready. So trying to deal with the hype … it was all too hard to live up to.”

Jordan Rankin is back in the NRL following two years in England.
    This is the story of a prodigy who appeared dead. Of a career that seemed done. Yet somehow, it isn’t.

No, now aged 24 — and having spent the past two years in England — Rankin, the former Gold Coast wunderkind has quietly snuck back into the NRL for what he dubs “my second chance”.

And this time, the hysteria is gone. Rankin is simply pushing for a place on the Tigers wing. Hopefully, the chance to kick a few goals, too.

Which is why, three times a week, he and head coach Jason Taylor hang around on the training pitch long after everyone else has disappeared, together booting Steedens between the uprights.

Gone, finally, is the hype that once shadowed the holiday strip’s “Next Big Thing”.

Done too, the crippling stress that accompanied this Palm Beach-Currumbin student when, way back in 2008, Titans head coach John Cartwright thrust him into an NRL debut against Newcastle.

Jordan Rankin, who debuted in the NRL at 16 and is now 24.
    At 16 years and 238 days, Rankin became the code’s third-youngest player ever. And he struggled.

“Not so much with the game,’’ Rankin recalled. “But everything else. The headlines, the interviews … there was just so much expectation.”

And spotlight. Take the advertisement for clothing company Skins which, running in Rugby League Week, proclaimed: “Playing first grade at 16 takes balls. Especially if they haven’t dropped yet”.

While no kid deserves that, Rankin battled on. But he struggled. Despite his hyped debut, the prodigy would then go almost three years before playing his second NRL game. All up, he earnt only 17 starts with the Titans before disappearing to Hull in the UK.

“Every time I took the field, I felt stressed,’’ Rankin said.

“There was so much expectation, everybody calling me the Next Big Thing of the Gold Coast, and I just wasn’t ready for that.

“To be honest, I wouldn’t really be ready mentally for another two or three years.

“I’ve seen recently where the NRL wants to up the age of debutants to 18. I’d definitely agree with that.”

As for the season?

“For me, it’s just good to be back,’’ he said. “When I left the NRL, I had to go. I was stale.

“I was still only 21 but I just wasn’t enjoying my footy like I should’ve been.

“So now, coming back, it’s like my second chance.”

The key line for me is

Which is why, three times a week, he and head coach Jason Taylor hang around on the training pitch long after everyone else has disappeared, together booting Steedens between the uprights.

This to me indicates that Rankin is going to the goal kicker and hence winger for the NRL side in 2016

• I hope Jordan takes his opportunity to shine in the NRL,debuting at such a young age would have been mentally draining the man…I would love to see him on the wing and kicking plenty of goals…as I have said many times “everybody deserves a second chance”…I hope he capitalises on his…

• He is not being considered for the halfback position so that leaves the backs, i honestly hope he gets the wing position.

• ForumSupporter

@Milky:

He is not being considered for the halfback position so that leaves the backs, i honestly hope he gets the wing position.

You sure I’m sure it was Tiger Torch who said he was training in the halves and put real pressure on Brooks and Moses for a starting position…?

• It’s going to be interesting to see where he fits in. Unless he scores a double and sets up 5 tries in round one in Brooks absence, he obviously won’t fit into the halves. And the backline will most probably look something like

1. Tedesco
    2. Noffa
    3. Simona
    4. Kev
    5. Hunt

Addo-Carr is sniffing around too. The only role i can really see him taking is as a bench utility.

• Addo-Carr is a waste of a bench spot.
    Not strong enough defensively… in attack, maybe if we wanted to play two fullbacks or an extra roaving winger but defo think it’d be a bad idea

• ForumSupporter

@Demps:

Addo-Carr is a waste of a bench spot.
    Not strong enough defensively… in attack, maybe if we wanted to play two fullbacks or an extra roaving winger but defo think it’d be a bad idea

He means Rankin…

I reckon he (Rankin) will be on the wing Round 1…

• @Demps:

Addo-Carr is a waste of a bench spot.

I meant Rankin for the bench spot.

• Soz lads, been a long day.

Im not sure about Rankin for the bench spot either.
    Would prefer a utility that can play second row as well as backs.

If anything happens to Tedesco =
    Simona to FB
    Benchy to centre.

• Tbf, we are going off the basis that we’ll be full strength. Someone will eventually go down in the backline at some point, so Rankin and Addo-Carr should see a lot of games imo.

• @GNR4LIFE:

It’s going to be interesting to see where he fits in. Unless he scores a double and sets up 5 tries in round one in Brooks absence, he obviously won’t fit into the halves. And the backline will most probably look something like

1. Tedesco
    2. Noffa
    3. Simona
    4. Kev
    5. Hunt

Addo-Carr is sniffing around too. The only role i can really see him taking is as a bench utility.

Littlejohn will be the no 7 for round one and reading the above article it looks like Rankin on the wing. So I think your one to five is correct except Rankin in for Hunt

• @Geo.:

@Milky:

He is not being considered for the halfback position so that leaves the backs, i honestly hope he gets the wing position.

You sure I’m sure it was Tiger Torch who said he was training in the halves and put real pressure on Brooks and Moses for a starting position…?

Yeah man, check out the pre game press conference on the Tigers site, Taylor stated that Littlejohn is in contention for the number 7 jersey and also Drinkwater but Water is out injured. Also stated that it was the reason why he started John.

• I think the only backline spot in contention is the last 3/4 spot, in which we will see Hunt, Rankin,Ado-Carr fighting for.

My personal choice is Rankin, I think it is only a matter of time before his talent comes through, and would love it to be now. Imagine how talented you have to be to be thrown into NRL at 16.

Handy in game insurance policy given he can comfortably move to the halves or fullback to cover injury, allowing Kevvie to push to the wing with a forward covering Centre.

• @Goose:

I think the only backline spot in contention is the last 3/4 spot, in which we will see Hunt, Rankin,Ado-Carr fighting for.

My personal choice is Rankin, I think it is only a matter of time before his talent comes through, and would love it to be now. Imagine how talented you have to be to be thrown into NRL at 16.

Handy in game insurance policy given he can comfortably move to the halves or fullback to cover injury, allowing Kevvie to push to the wing with a forward covering Centre.

Yep, Rankin > halves and Chee Kam to centre in the case of an injury

• @Goose:

I think the only backline spot in contention is the last 3/4 spot, in which we will see Hunt, Rankin,Ado-Carr fighting for.

I think Taylor learnt his lesson with Lovett in the centres. It can’t just be any forward it has to be a capable forward. Rowdy should be pushed into Centre if worse comes to worse or Chee Kam who is also capable in that spot. Chee Kam is a good bench utility to have. Rankin is a good back utility as he could cover 1-7 and probably has had the most NRL/Super League experience in a team full of young guys, that’s probably what will see him get the nod ahead of Hunt and Addo-Carr. He’s also a pretty good goal kicker.

The finalising of the backline (wing/centre positions) and use and makeup of the bench are probably the most interesting topics about this off season. Will be interesting to see I think how the changes to the interchange makes a difference for many teams this year.

Recent Topics