We Should Aim to Make the Top 4

• Now before I start I would preface to say if forced to predict a finishing position this year, I would probe lean towards 9th-12th. However I am not a player just a fan, however i think it is important to aim high.

If my memory serves me correct thats what we did last time (Said we wanted to Make the Top 4) we were favoured for the spoon in 2005. I remember Ben Galea and a few others saying it in pre season and people were laughing at them. Even half way through the year they are repeating their goal. It put pressure on the players as they did not want to look like mugs and they responded in the end.

However maybe it is time we were made accountable and put some pressure on results. I remember in 2010 and 2011 Tim Sheens said the focus had switched from “process” to “getting results at all costs”. Now maybe, or I’m sure we did this in other seasons as well which were not quite as successful. Im not that silly by thinking its as simple as setting a high goal and you will reach it.

However everyone including Taylor seems carried away these days with “being competitive”, “be in contention for the 8”, “worried about performances not results” “Learning from experience”. We seem to have built in excuses before the year begins and maybe sub consciously that provides more inconsistent performances. Now you could argue we have an average roster and lack the resources of other clubs. Which would be true, however we are all in the same competition and start at 0-0 on the score board each week.

Probably to be fair to Taylor he needs to angle for a new contract and setting the bar too high could result in him getting chopped early. However If you aim for 10th well that is probably about the best you will do. If you aim for Top 4 maybe that will drive the bar a bit higher.

Whats to be really scared of in this competition this year? Noted power houses Souths, Easts and Canterbury all look worse on paper then previous years. Parra, Sharks, Warriors and Manly do look good but have a heap of new players to bit in.

I would love to see Woods, Farah or Teddy come and say were aiming for the Top 4, people would laugh but maybe it might help. Whilst its a pretty unlikely finishing position I don’t think its an impossible goal if we get everyone firing. I don’t like all this talk about process and being competitive, why not just try the win at all costs mentality.

• we should aim to win every single game
    wether we do or not is a different thing

would be nice to win the prem.
    will it happen? idk. we should aim for it tho.

• @Demps:

we should aim to win every single game
    wether we do or not is a different thing

would be nice to win the prem.
    will it happen? idk. we should aim for it tho.

I agree with these posts. We should aim high. Aim to win each game. No excuses. Go Tigers :slight_smile:

• I read the fox summation of salary cap vs 2016 prospects. If that’s correct we’re done for, but why? Eddie’s right, we all start at 0-0.

Go boys, win it!.

• Banned

I think we can have a really good season. I remember in 05 a mate telling me we were going to get the spoon. We had a team with some potential then and we have some potential this season.

I’m not stating we will win the comp but I think we can have a good season and we should be aiming to win every game we play.

• damn straight we should!

undefeated premiers :sign: :sign:

• It will all depend on their mind set,if they can develope a siege mentality,win at all costs anything is possible. My concern is in this day and age they earn a lot of money win loose or draw,so to loose a game is not going to dent your bank balance.

Anyway I hope they become a really tight outfit on and off the field and as Eddie said,set the bar high

• I don’t give a rats where we finish, provided we play consistent decent football.

• If each player plays to the best of their abilities and no major injuries to key players then results will come our way. Effect equals reward.

Just want any player who wears WT colours to put in an effort and do themselves proud.

• I’m very optimistic this year the reason being the way we finished last year even with all the crap going on the boys were very competitive in particular the final 4 weeks of the comp. Iv no doubt we will surprise a few pundits and shock a few teams we were vastly improved after Taylor took the shackles off and we only got better we just missed that last bit of class on the last pass a few times and we could have had a few more points next to us on the ladder. Saying that though those are small issues that can be rectified over time I’m confident we will push for 7th or 8th but it depends on the injuries going our way I reckon. The thing is as well there may be only 4 points separating 6 teams on the ladder at the end of the year if we can jag a few early wins and get some confidence going early we have a first team that has the ability.

• Eddie I love your positivity but what happened in 2005 is what the Odds were at the time 80/1 , a very rare thing……also in 2004 we only just missed out in the Semi Finals with a loss in our Round 26 game vs the Knights if memory serves me right ? so we were building up a good side .

2015 we just missed out on the Spoon on percentages and after loosing Taupau and the sagas we have had and the Media at us ? It would be a massive achievement making the 8 let alone the Top 4 .

Don’t mean to sound like a sour puss but much prefer to be pleasantly surprised rather than getting my hopes up like i did in 2012 when we signed Adam Blair and thought to myself at the time…Man this is our year Gareth Ellis and Adam Blair ching ching.

Not taking nothing away Eddie and love the Positivity but i’m more of a Realist and think if we finish better than 13th on the Ladder ? we have had a good year .

Fingers crossed .

• Yeah it’s having that self belief,so getting off to a good start goes a long way towards that.
    If we can stay consistent,by mid season we develop that siege mentality and we start to really threaten,something we haven’t done for sometime.
    There seems to be a nice balance to this bunch this year.
    Quietly optimistic!

• @foreveratiger:

Eddie I love your positivity but what happened in 2005 is what the Odds were at the time 80/1 , a very rare thing……also in 2004 we only just missed out in the Semi Finals with a loss in our Round 26 game vs the Knights if memory serves me right ? so we were building up a good side .

2015 we just missed out on the Spoon on percentages and after loosing Taupau and the sagas we have had and the Media at us ? It would be a massive achievement making the 8 let alone the Top 4 .

Don’t mean to sound like a sour puss but much prefer to be pleasantly surprised rather than getting my hopes up like i did in 2012 when we signed Adam Blair and thought to myself at the time…Man this is our year Gareth Ellis and Adam Blair ching ching.

Not taking nothing away Eddie and love the Positivity but i’m more of a Realist and think if we finish better than 13th on the Ladder ? we have had a good year .

Fingers crossed .

Its a player/team/club goal suggestion…not the fans

• Im a realist too. I don’t think they will make the Top 4

My point was though I think the SQUAD themsevles should aim high. Not be aiming to finish 10th and declare that a success.

Look at leicster in the Premier League this year.

Anything can happen if everyone is committed to the cause.

• SMART Goals:

Specific
    Measurable
    Attainable
    Relevant
    Time bound

Where we finish at times isn’t up to us. Every player should have their own SMART goal, whether it be at training, for e.g. nofoaluma may aim to reach 20m in <4secs etc.

the team needs to focus as groups, for e.g. making 3 tackles a set from marker, making 1000m every game etc.

you can say “let’s finish top 4” but it depends too much on how other teams are going, our injuries, off field issues, ref bluners etc. if the coaches and the players set themselves SMART goals and achieve it, im sure they’ll be happy and so will we.

Recent Topics