Bryce Gibbs Shock Comeback

• Fan favourite Bryce Gibbs is set to make a shock rugby league comeback!

Rugby League Week’s The Mole reports the 31-year-old front-rower is set to lace up the boots for Wests in Wollongong.

Former NRL star Brett Kimmorley is the coach at Wests and he’s persuaded the big fella to have another run.

It’s understood Bryce has spent the last year working in the mines at Mount Isa and “will combine his footy with shifts as a miner in the Illawarra region.”

Last year, Gibbs attracted interest from the Sea Eagles and Cowboys.

In 2014, Bryce Gibbs decided to hang up his boots after 12-years and 197 games for the Wests Tigers and Cronulla Sharks.

He made his debut in 2003 for the Wests Tigers and who could forget the try he scored in the 2005 Grand Final victory over the Cowboys! He finished his career at Cronulla.

“I’ve decided to hit the eject button on my NRL career! I’ve had a great 12 years, like to thank all the boys I’ve played with and Sheensy [coach Tim Sheens] for giving me a go when I was 18,” said Gibbs, at the time.” …. :deadhorse:

• Hopefully he doesn’t ruin his knees for life by playing one season too long.

• Sensational News!, Bryce by virtue of playing for one of the Other merger clubs is thus eligible to get a NRL call up, If that’s the case I’ll come out of retirement too!.

• Wests Wollongong is traditionally a very strong club so it will be interesting to see how Gibbs goes. He’ll earn decent money too, probably $30k from Wests plus another $130k or so working in the mines. Former Wests Tiger Michael Crockett did the same thing after he was cut by the NZ Warriors.

• $130k working in the mines?

Is he a supervisor?

• @Demps:

$130k working in the mines?

Is he a supervisor?

No, pretty standard coin in the mines.

• @Cultured Bogan:

@Demps:

Is he a supervisor?

No, pretty standard coin in the mines.

I’m in the wrong job

• pretty standard coin? what, 10 yrs ago?

my friend is entry level, first year in
    goes underground and all that…

1k/week

• What happened to his business dealings with Fulton???I must admit I think Bryce would be far more suited working in the mines than running a small business, but I suppose you should never judge a book by its cover, look at the likes of George Piggins who was no Rhode scholar but went on to make a motza

• @Demps:

pretty standard coin? what, 10 yrs ago?

1k/week

I have a mate working up in QLD somewhere with a bunch of blokes who all decided to go up at once. They’re clearing 100K a year up there. He has a trade though so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it, not sure about the other blokes he went up with.

• @Cultured Bogan:

@Demps:

1k/week

I have a mate working up in QLD somewhere with a bunch of blokes who all decided to go up at once. They’re clearing 100K a year up there. He has a trade though so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it, not sure about the other blokes he went up with.

Yeah true, I’m sure the trade qualified guys go alright.

I know a desiel mechanic who worked away - mining industry but worked in a work shop/factory -
    He was making like 2.5 - 3k a week but would work two weeks on, two weeks off.

Long days / night shifts / etc.
    All that + working away from your family & friends = doesn’t sound like the life for me.

Anyways back on topic - I don’t think Bryce would be making 130k+
    I’m sure he does “alright” though.

• @Demps:

@Cultured Bogan:

@Demps:

1k/week

Yeah true, I’m sure the trade qualified guys go alright.

I know a desiel mechanic who worked away - mining industry but worked in a work shop/factory -
    He was making like 2.5 - 3k a week but would work two weeks on, two weeks off.

Long days / night shifts / etc.
    All that + working away from your family & friends = doesn’t sound like the life for me.

Anyways back on topic - I don’t think Bryce would be making 130k+
    I’m sure he does “alright” though.

He does alright Demps. I know people who work in the Helensburgh mine and that wage is fairly standard.

• @supercoach:

What happened to his business dealings with Fulton???I must admit I think Bryce would be far more suited working in the mines than running a small business, but I suppose you should never judge a book by its cover, look at the likes of George Piggins who was no Rhode scholar but went on to make a motza

George and Jack Gibson mates and business partners in a couple of ventures.

• They had a vending machine business too IIRC.

• @Demps:

Is he a supervisor?

My step sister’s husband is on 125K as a diesel mechanic up at Blackwater

Recent Topics