Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor gives halves Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses licence to entertain

Some interesting quotes here from both Brooks and Moses.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/tigers/wests-tigers-coach-jason-taylor-gives-halves-luke-brooks-and-mitchell-moses-licence-to-entertain/news-story/c91ee6cd054a75759fc9f7a9d2a80d91?from=public_rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

WESTS Tigers’ young halves Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses have been handed back their licence to entertain — and they couldn’t be happier.

The pair revealed the structures introduced by Jason Taylor last year didn’t suit their natural games, especially Moses, but the coach had since allowed them to revert to the exciting off-the-cuff style that worked so well for a decade before they arrived in the NRL.

Moses went as far to say Taylor’s structures didn’t allow him to ‘’show the best player I could be’’.

“Playing what we see in front of us, that’s how we’ve played footy all of our careers, and I think it will benefit us this year,’’ Moses told The Daily Telegraph.

“Towards the end of last year JT saw us playing a bit of a different style of footy, JT was open to that, he let us do it, and this year I think you’ll see a different style of footy from the Tigers.

“You’ll see a lot more entertainment than last year, more freestyling footy, and everyone working for each other. We’re a tight group, we’re sick of losing, we want to make the eight, and that’s our goal.

“We’re definitely a lot more relaxed group this year, everyone knows what we have to do now. Coming in playing structured footy (last year), the Tigers had never played structured footy before, and you could see why we struggled a bit.

“But JT has opened himself up, and I think you’ll see a different team.’’

Moses and Brooks, both 21, have played together for a decade, and are seen as the long-term halves the joint venture can build their future success around.

However, fans were worried when they both delayed a decision to take up an option for 2017.

Moses and Brooks made it clear Taylor was not the reason for putting their contract talks on the backburner.

“I didn’t want to go through contract talks in January and wanted to focus on footy and go from there,’’ Moses said.

As for playing with Brooks, Moses said: “I know his game and he knows mine. If I see him I’ll follow him. On the field I react to things he does, and he reacts to things I do. If we see something now we’ll do it instead of holding back.’’

Brooks said he was keen to run the ball more this season.

“There will be more playing what we see, looking up at the defence and seeing what they’re doing,’’ Brooks said.

“You have to have a structure to fall back on, but being able to play outside that structure is what’s key, and that’s what well do.’’

Robbie Farah praised the arrival of attacking coach Craig Sandercock, who made a point of asking Farah, Brooks and Moses what plays they wanted to embrace. Farah, like Brooks, hopes to adopt more of a running game again.

SO are we all going to bag the hell out of Moses and Brooks for speaking honestly and openly? Becuase thats what we would do if it were Farah.

Anyway, I for one am looking forward to this. I think Taylor came over with way too many structures and systems geared towards an international, Big lineup at The Roosters. You have to play to your own teams strengths.

Now Mitch, Luke and Robbie have had their say its time to back it up with some Wins and some great displays.

They start dropping the ball and completing 50% of sets and losing and they will look like mugs.

So whilst this is exciting and I think beneficial, its time to back it up on the field.

This is new.
Farah is the same old same old same old zzzzzz
Menstrual Eddie… Such a lol

Im saying its a pretty big call from young guys like Moses and Brooks to come out and openly question the coaches tactics.

They need to come out and back it up now.

Im looking forward to the changes though.

Just some basic communication, working together…., looks like things are falling into place nicely, a good season ahead

Just as long as they know when to play what they see.
I wonder how the rest of the team know what they’ll be doing when they play what they see…. Hopefully not kicks with no chasers etc.
Platforms need to be set because this footy Is high risk

Looks like the coach is getting the players to buy into a game plan designed around the strengths of the squad. I like JT’s move as once the new bard is appointed and if we are struggling, playing boring footy his bags will be packed. If we fire playing attacking footy he may hang on. Well played.

I do like the bullishness of Moses though.

I like a play maker with a bit of a swagger about them.

He has got to back it up but he seems like he has the fire in him.

@innsaneink:

I wonder how the rest of the team know what they’ll be doing when they play what they see…. Hopefully not kicks with no chasers etc.

Disagree strrretch?

@innsaneink:

Exactly right Ink

The team still needs to be on the same page when they play what they see , especially Farah and Tedesco they are the links to the forwards and backs

I still want to see us running better angles in attack and hitting the line at speed

This is where I thought Sironen would excel , but maybe the lack of quality NRL centres hurts him as opposition defences know they just sit on Sirro and / or Tedesco

The other question I’m interested to hear is what do people think Brooks strength is

Running game or passing game ??

Look I think his running game has potential as he is quite strong when he runs the ball

Early in games I’d love to see him run at the defence when he has room to move

It really puts defences in two minds if your 7 runs early and will help Moses’s running game as well , particularly if Moses runs straight after

I’ve always been a big believer that close to the line that your halves running one after the other can be devastating if they get reasonably quick play the balls

This is how they should have been allowed to play from round 1 last year, except Taylor wanted us to play like the Chooks. Hopefully we’re a bit more exciting to watch with ball in hand this year. It would be great to see Simona get more quality ball as I don’t think I’ve seen him this fit, and Nofoaluma looked sharp in the Storm trial. Here’s hoping…

@willow:

This is how they should have been allowed to play from round 1 last year, except Taylor wanted us to play like the Chooks. Hopefully we’re a bit more exciting to watch with ball in hand this year. It would be great to see Simona get more quality ball as I don’t think I’ve seen him this fit, and Nofoaluma looked sharp in the Storm trial. Here’s hoping…

We would’ve definitely won the spoon if we did

“You have to have a structure to fall back on, but being able to play outside that structure is what’s key, and that’s what well do.’’

@innsaneink:

@willow:

Not so sure about that Ink. We came very close to getting to spoon playing the same type of game as teams that do it better than us. Going back to Our style of play is where will worry teams. Not playing their game

@innsaneink:

@willow:

As I said in an earlier thread,last year was all about teaching the young guns about DEFENSE,it was hard to watch,however if the young ones have learnt to score points and defend the lead,then we can make the 8 with reasonable confidence…let’s see if they have learnt much from last year,and yes a combination of brilliant attack backed up by brutal defense will be outstanding to see…I will reserve my judgement until they show us on the field what they can do,not just talk it up and give us a false sense of excitement …

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.