Taylor says Robbie Farah too small to handle 80 minute game

Jason Taylor says Robbie Farah too small to handle 80 minute game

THEY may have mended their working relationship, but Wests Tigers star Robbie Farah still won’t play 80 minutes under coach Jason Taylor this NRL season.

A reduction in interchange is likely to make coaches reconsider carrying a second hooker on their bench in 2016, but not Taylor, who is adamant the days of the 80-minute hookers are close to an end.

New buy Matt Ballin is likely to miss the opening few rounds of the competition as he continues to recover from an ACL tear, meaning promising rake Manaia Cherrington is a strong chance of winning a spot in the side’s season-opening clash with the Warriors.

Veteran Dene Halatau is another option for Taylor at the ruck. Asked whether teams could afford to carry a utility under the new rules, Taylor said: “We will be. I think it’s important you keep the middle of the field fresh. It’s really hard in this day and age to be playing 80 minutes as a hooker when you’re not a big guy.”

Farah appeared certain to leave the club when he was given permission to leave in August, only for Taylor to include the NSW State of Origin hooker in his leadership group named in December. He then guaranteed Farah the No. 9 jumper for round one.

However with Ballin and Cherrington giving Taylor bona fide options at hooker, the 32-year-old Farah, whose playing time diminished under Taylor last season, is now unlikely to play 80 minutes consistently again.

Taylor said Ballin’s current injury meant he hadn’t been given selection trouble just yet.

“Matt’s not ready to play yet, so there’s no headache whatsoever at the moment,” Taylor said.

“We haven’t had that sort of depth at that position, and we know we’re going to lose Robbie for a period through the year (to State of Origin). It’s not a headache, it’s a really good strengthening of a really important position.”

I’m not sure if I agree with Taylor however I think it is worth giving it a go. A bit of zip out of dummy half can really turn a game.

The only issue I have is that I think Mania might be the best option rather than Ballin.

@stevetiger:

I’m not sure if I agree with Taylor however I think it is worth giving it a go. A bit of zip out of dummy half can really turn a game.

The only issue I have is that I think Mania might be the best option rather than Ballin.

Manaia’s biggest problem is still his defence , if he gets brushed off like he was in 2015 one on one , he can’t be risked for big minutes

i think with the reduced interchanged, new reffing system that halves decsion time and introduction of shot clocks could seriously speed up the game and he could be onto something. and add in the fact farahs not 29 anymore

especially into the next few years when the interchange drop to 6 and the shot clock will probably get reduced too; the last might even happen next year as it looks a bit too long right now

I don’t understand all these so called journalists who in lots of articles think the reduction in interchange will somehow lead to a reduction in utilities on the bench. It isn’t just in articles about either but lots. When you have 8 interchanges and 4 players on the bench then you are going to need a player somewhere to cover hooker and halves.

8 interchanges
Player 1 - Prop - 2 interchanges on and off
Player 2 - Prop - 2 interchanges on and off
Saved interchnge for injury - 1

Leaves 3 interchanges for 2 players so you are going to have 1 player who can cover back row and centres (with one of your outside backs needing to be able to move from centre to wing/fb) and 1 to cover halves and hooker and prob play hooker because it gives you more defence. Now that could mean an extra backrower who can play hooker like Hinchcliffe for storm and McInees will play for bunnies I think but still I think most coaches will have a 2nd hooker of some kind

@Boonboon2:

I don’t understand all these so called journalists who in lots of articles think the reduction in interchange will somehow lead to a reduction in utilities on the bench. It isn’t just in articles about either but lots. When you have 8 interchanges and 4 players on the bench then you are going to need a player somewhere to cover hooker and halves.

8 interchanges

Leaves 3 interchanges for 2 players so you are going to have 1 player who can cover back row and centres (with one of your outside backs needing to be able to move from centre to wing/fb) and 1 to cover halves and hooker and prob play hooker because it gives you more defence. Now that could mean an extra backrower who can play hooker like Hinchcliffe for storm and McInees will play for bunnies I think but still I think most coaches will have a 2nd hooker of some kind

Agreed.

The day the interchange rules came in, I believed it guaranteed a second dummy half on the bench. Speed out of dummy half is crucial to winning the ruck. Win the ruck, you will more than likely win the game.

Robbie hasn’t been an 80min player for 3 years. Thank god JT identified this upon arriving!

Kind of wished this interchange reduction came in when Dene first returned from the Dogs, would have suited him to a tee.

The way I look at it the first thing you have to do is look at your roster and work out what forwards can play big minutes effectively,because we know Farah can play 80 minutes, by resting him and carrying Balin or who ever on the bench means someone else is going to have to play big minutes and do we have a player or players of this quality.

I thought last year that the trend by teams to rotate there no9 was a good move, fresh legs and speed out of dummy half for 80 minutes seemed very effective. This year with the reduced interchange, it could work even better but also might be a luxury that teams can not afford.

Time will tell, but with Ballin Cherrington and Halatau we have some good options off the bench

I wonder how many rounds before the dummy spitting starts!

@Tiger Watto:

@Boonboon2:

8 interchanges

Agreed.

The day the interchange rules came in, I believed it guaranteed a second dummy half on the bench. Speed out of dummy half is crucial to winning the ruck. Win the ruck, you will more than likely win the game.

Robbie hasn’t been an 80min player for 3 years. Thank god JT identified this upon arriving!

Funny thing is - He didn’t say that… He didn’t “Not” say it.
But it’s a great headline…

He said it’s hard to play 80mins in the middle when you’re not a big guy… And he’s right!!

Cherrington is the perfect guy for a 20 minute cameo.

Not sure about Halatau. Too pedestrian out of there for my liking.

Ridiculous headline lol Robbie is one of the biggest hookers in the comp and Taylor never said that!.

I do agree though that fresh legs can split the game wide open. Rob is the forward leader and makes 40 tackles a game. A couple of short spells of zippy dummy half play from Ballin will compliment this perfectly.

Thumbs up Taylor.

gee robbie gets through 80 min at SOO level, that must be a lower grade than NRL grade games. JT is a dill. but in saying that i like the idea of cherrington coming on and useing his pace when they all get tired. but please JT dont make it into robbies not up to it for 80 min u only make ur selve look like a bigger fool than u already are.

JT shoots too straight. It is no surprise to me that he has helped improve (to an extent) all of the clubs he’s been involved with and yet let go by each of them. There are so many other ways he could have said what he meant above. Shame on the journalist though too…it was a pretty innocuous comment to lead your story with.

@stryker:

Ridiculous headline lol Robbie is one of the biggest hookers in the comp and Taylor never said that!.

I do agree though that fresh legs can split the game wide open. Rob is the forward leader and makes 40 tackles a game. A couple of short spells of zippy dummy half play from Ballin will compliment this perfectly.

Thumbs up Taylor.

lol, so funny.
he said he’s not a big guy…
not he’s too small to handle 80 mins, haha.