Curtis and Bayley Sironen...

• ForumSupporter

Brothers Curtis and Bayley Sironen aim to follow in father Paul’s footsteps at Wests Tigers
    February 17, 2016 9:00pm
    CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSIThe Daily Telegraph

THE last time Curtis and Bayley Sironen appeared together in the middle of Leichhardt Oval on a game day was nearly 20 years ago.

Their famous father Paul Sironen, a Balmain favourite, had just played the 246th and final game for the club on a wet afternoon in 1998, and was completing his lap of honour with his two young sons.

Now Curtis, 22, and Bayley, 19, would love to continue the family legacy by having not one but two Sironens play for the Tigers.

Brothers Bayley and Curtis are aiming to extend for Sironen legacy at Wests Tigers.
    Bayley only joined the Wests Tigers’ NRL squad this season, and while he’s still eligible for Holden Cup, with a little luck could pop up along side Curtis in the backrow later on in the year.

“He’d have to have a good start to the year, and if injuries allow it, I can’t see why he couldn’t make it this year,’’ Curtis said of Bayley.

The brothers are Balmain through and through. They’re tall and solid like Paul. They grew up on the same street as the three sons of Steve “Blocker’’ Roach, another Balmain great who played in the 1988 and 1989 grand finals along side Sironen.

“We used to play footy where it three-on-two, with Bayley and Dan, the eldest Roach, against me, Liam and AJ Roach,’’ Curtis said.

“I still remember dad’s last game. It was in the rain and they got smoked by the Roosters. But we did the lap of honour with Bayley, and we’ve got the photo, which is cool.’’

Bayley said he was too young to remember his dad in action, ‘’but he still puts on the videos and shows us the highlights reel’’.

Living at home with their dad, it was impossible not to ignore the topic of footy. Now Bayley had been promoted to the NRL squad, Paul was quick to jack up his rent.

“It’s a stitch-up,’’ Bayley said.

Curtis added: “He can be grumpy. But as long as you pay your board.’’

Surely Paul is happy both his boys are in the top squad.

“If he is he doesn’t show it. He just rides us,’’ quipped Curtis.

Curtis rolled his ankle during an opposed session a couple of weeks ago, missed the Melbourne trial but will line up in the backrow against Cronulla on Saturday.

Bayley simply wants to get a taste of NSW Cup and enjoy an injury-free year, with recent surgeries on his shoulder and ankle limiting his game time.

As for who will be referred to as a “Siro’’, Curtis said: “Probably both of us. We also get ‘Siz’. If you’re a serious person these days, they get called ‘Siro’. Everyone is a ‘Siro’.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/brothers-curtis-and-bayley-sironen-aim-to-follow-in-father-pauls-footsteps-at-wests-tigers/news-story/eba4980af5fb2f6e4869d62173701fd8

• How does Bayley go? Has anybody seen him play? I don’t know much about him

• Has a simpler game than Curtis. More of a natural backrower. Stood out in 20s when he was in the field. I like his game.

• I remember that… Bayley was bawling the whole lap of honour. 20 years ago? Jeez I’m getting old.

Pretty sure I saw Curtis doing some hill sprints up Pittwater Road just before xmas. Good to see him putting in some extras

• It’s good that they moved Bayley straight into the back row last season. None of this messing around in the halves business - which has put Curtis behind the 8 ball for a couple of years.

Made some excellent runs and offloads last year, shame he’s had to have surgery in the off season as he still needs to fill out a bit.

• Sirro Snr needs to whip Curtis a bit harder.

• Bayley’s development the last 2 seasons has been outstanding.

He never had the skill Curtis did, but always had a massive crack. The move to backrow has been terrific for him.

The first time I saw him play backrow was for CCC against CHS, and I was convinced it wouldnt work. Every game Ive seen since he seems to have got better.

If he makes it, which is looking likely, he’ll be a fan favourite cause he is one of those players where it looks like he is busting a gut and goes hard.

I still think Curtis is far more talented, and am convinced he will be an outstanding player for a long time. But ive been wrong before.

• Admittedly I only saw him play 5-6 games last year but he didn’t stand out at all to me. Honestly he reminded me of Lovett, tried hard but just didn’t have much of an impact.

Noticeably shorter then Curtis however I’ve seen a couple of guys who’ve coached them both in juniors say that Bayley is a lot tougher then Curtis (I think Curtis has even mentioned it previously).

• @fergiefurr:

Admittedly I only saw him play 5-6 games last year but he didn’t stand out at all to me. Honestly he reminded me of Lovett, tried hard but just didn’t have much of an impact.

Noticeably shorter then Curtis however I’ve seen a couple of guys who’ve coached them both in juniors say that Bayley is a lot tougher then Curtis (I think Curtis has even mentioned it previously).

I’d have to disagree there Fergiefurr. While like all young players he has his good and quiet games he was the most dynamic back rower in our squad last year. Making line breaks, scoring tries, setting up a few with a decent short passing game and nice offloads etc.

Marsters scored a lot of tries by running good lines close to the tryline and forcing his way over. Cassel was the workhorse in defence, joined by Stone late in the year. Bayley is smaller than Marsters and Curtis but his intelligence in the back row was better than any other young back rower we’ve had for some time.

Still got to perfect when to/not offload but he’s only a kid.

• Typical ordinary article by the Telegraph…so called rugby league experts. Blocker didn’t play in the '88 GF,he was over in England trying to serve out his NSWRL suspension. Unsuccesfully. If he was on the field that day he would of told Ellery to get his arse back out on the field or Blocker himself would have knocked him out.

• @tigermac88:

How does Bayley go? Has anybody seen him play? I don’t know much about him

A work Colleague of mine son is very close mates with Luke Brooks and Bayley Sironen , she reckons Bayley is a way better player than Curtis at the same Age .
    She has massive wraps on Bayley.

I have never seen Bayley Sironen play myself and that is being honest .

• @foreveratiger:

@tigermac88:

A work Colleague of mine son is very close mates with Luke Brooks and Bayley Sironen , she reckons Bayley is a way better player than Curtis at the same Age .

Thats what his dad said too a few years ago.
    Ive seen him since U/8s or so…knowing who his dad was, I paid a bit more attention to him …both bros …when we played them. Both played for different clubs as kids yet their dad manged to coach them both for a few years each

• @Balmain Boy:

@fergiefurr:

Admittedly I only saw him play 5-6 games last year but he didn’t stand out at all to me. Honestly he reminded me of Lovett, tried hard but just didn’t have much of an impact.

I’d have to disagree there Fergiefurr. While like all young players he has his good and quiet games he was the most dynamic back rower in our squad last year. Making line breaks, scoring tries, setting up a few with a decent short passing game and nice offloads etc.

I also thought Bayley was been a standout in a fairly talented NYC team last yr.

• @Balmain Boy:

@fergiefurr:

Marsters scored a lot of tries by running good lines close to the tryline and forcing his way over. Cassel was the workhorse in defence, joined by Stone late in the year. Bayley is smaller than Marsters and Curtis but his intelligence in the back row was better than any other young back rower we’ve had for some time.

Still got to perfect when to/not offload but he’s only a kid.

Like i said mate dont think ive seen enough games to make a proper judgement on. happy to go with others opinions who have seen him more then mine.

• @foreveratiger:

@tigermac88:

i remember curtis said the same thing in an interview a year or two back as well; bayleys tougher, harder etc.

doubt he’ll be that useful for us in the backrow in 2016/17 because hes so young

Recent Topics