Mark ONeill - new role at the Wests Tigers ..

• Just heard Vossy say on the radio that Mark O Neil is to be taking on a role at Wests Tigers overseeing Jason Taylor at Wests Tigers etc - not confirmed

• ForumSupporter

That’s a shock… 😮

• It was in the paper a couple of weeks ago that O’neill was a strong chance of the football manager role. Club legend and has to my knowledge spent his time since retirement working with the NRL.

• Yeah he was involved in the match judiciary for a while IIRC.

• If I am right his recruitment record is outstanding as he was responsible for getting Gareth Ellis at the Tigers.

• Paper also stated he is open to Toad Payten being the preferred coach as with the player group at the Tigers what players?. My question is was he one of the white ant club and who is leaking this stuff to the media any person with an axe to grind?.This club just can not break the jobs for the boys cycle even Pascoe is at it what a light weight.

• @Snake:

Paper also stated he is open to Toad Payten being the preferred coach as with the player group at the Tigers what players?. My question is was he one of the white ant club and who is leaking this stuff to the media any person with an axe to grind?.This club just can not break the jobs for the boys cycle even Pascoe is at it what a light weight.

He’d be the last person that would do this crap.
    He worked at Fitness First for quite a while returning from England

• If true Mark will do a good job, I get the impression he is respected right through the NRL community. I am not sure what experience he has with dealing with the parasites of game (the player Managers ) as that seems to be a massive part of his role.

The good thing is that he should be able to shield Taylor from a lot of media pressure as we know Jason tend to to talk before he thinks when under the pump. Anyway I am sure the playing group will be happy with the appointment

• To be honest I would have more faith in Buckets then one of those washed up ex coaches like Stuart Raper, Brian Smith etc.

I have no idea if he is the right man for the job, however he would be 100% respected and liked and probably not a man to under estimate.

I hope he gets it.

• @Eddie:

To be honest I would have more faith in Buckets then one of those washed up ex coaches like Stuart Raper, Brian Smith etc.

I have no idea if he is the right man for the job, however he would be 100% respected and liked and probably not a man to under estimate.

I hope he gets it.

Me too. Buckets is the player i respected the most as a player. He comes across as a guy with genuine passion for the club. I know that can’t be the only criteria for getting the job but it’s something i think we badly need within the club. Is there anyone in our coaching or admin that has a true love of the club?
    Such a shame be wasnt our premiership winning captain.

• I understand that was in the Telegraph this morning. A mate mentioned it to me.

As i refuse to read that faecal publication, perhaps someone else can quote or confirm.

• ForumSupporter

@Swordy:

I understand that was in the Telegraph this morning. A mate mentioned it to me.

As i refuse to read that faecal publication, perhaps someone else can quote or confirm.

Here you go…

Mark O’Neill offered Phil Gould-type general manager role at Wests Tigers
    February 19, 2016 8:46am
    Paul Crawley
    The Daily Telegraph

RESPECTED former Wests Tigers captain Mark O’Neill has emerged as the man who could hold the key to the coaching future of Jason Taylor.

The Daily Telegraph understands O’Neill was this week offered a position to take on a Phil Gould-type general manager of football role at the Tigers.

If O’Neill accepts the offer, it would give the 40-year-old former forward control of not only the club’s playing roster but also power over coaching staff appointments, like Gould has at Penrith.

Wests Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe would not comment when contacted yesterday.

But it is believed the position is now O’Neill’s to knock back after a month-long search to fill the role, following the departure of former football manager Phil Moss.

A decision is expected in the next week.

O’Neill currently works at the NRL where he is well regarded. But a move back to his old club would throw him into the hot seat after Taylor’s troubled first season at the Tigers.

The Tigers also face the challenge of keeping their young guns Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks this year.

While Taylor and Robbie Farah have publicly buried their differences, Taylor conceded this week that he will still start the new season under pressure to keep his job.

Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor continues to feel pressure from fans and the board.
    Already there is speculation in league circles that O’Neill’s former Tigers teammate Todd Payten would be the players’ preferred coach if Taylor does not see out the year.

Ivan Cleary is the other coach who has been mentioned, and Cleary is close to Pascoe from their time working together at Penrith.

Payten previously worked at the Tigers as the under 20s coach, and as an assistant to Mick Potter before he joined North Queensland last year.

Payten coached the Cowboys under 20s who narrowly missed the grand final before he was appointed as one of Paul Green’s NRL assistants for the 2016 season.

Taylor said this week that he felt comfortable with his position heading into the new season, but that will no doubt change if the Tigers get off to a rocky start.

“The club as a whole, and the direction we’re heading in, I feel completely supported in my role, and that allows me to do my job to the absolute best of my ability,” Taylor said.

Pascoe announced last month that he was on the look out for general manager of football, similar to the role Gould has at Penrith.

While Pascoe said previously the head coach would still be a part of the decision-making process, he said he wanted a football manager to be in charge of broader decisions based on what was best for the club longterm “very similar to the American sport general manager role”.

He said at the time: “I want someone who comes into my office every single day demanding we should be chasing this player or that player and coming up with solutions and proposals for how that can happen.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/tigers/mark-oneill-offered-phil-gouldtype-general-manager-role-at-wests-tigers/news-story/c066ec37d51760e94368499acaf53f50?utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=TelegraphSport&utm_medium=Facebook

• Not a fan of giving it to Payten or even considering him.

Coaching players you played with - not a big fan.

Let him do a proper trade first.

• @Eddie:

Not a fan of giving it to Payten or even considering him.

Coaching players you played with - not a big fan.

Let him do a proper trade first.

That would only be Farah, Lawrence and Halatua wouldn’t it? Possibly all three’s last year.
    I’d be open to him coming back

• Swordy!! Too discerning for this forum.

Recent Topics