Farah injured, in doubt for round one

• WESTS Tigers coach Jason Taylor has been dealt a first-round selection blow with hooker Robbie Farah expected to be ruled out due to a knee injury.

Foxsports.com.au has been told Farah sustained the injury during the Tigers 30-all draw with Cronulla on Saturday, with the NSW State of Origin No.9 to consult doctors on Monday afternoon.

If Farah is ruled out, Tigers coach Taylor will most likely be forced to play rookie Mania Cherrington at hooker for the club’s round one match against New Zealand at Campbelltown on March 5.

Tigers new recruit Matt Ballin, who has switched from the Sea Eagles, is still recovering from major knee surgery and is expected to be unavailable for selection.

In a further blow to Taylor’s alternative options, utility player Dene Halatau is also suspended for round one due to a lifting tackle from last season

Taylor’s other play could be to select young gun Jacob Liddle from the club’s under 20s line-up.

If Farah is forced out, it will mean the Tigers are opening the season minus their first-string hooker and halfback, with young gun Luke Brooks also suspended for round one due to a lifting tackle from last season.

Jack Littlejohn or Josh Drinkwater are believed to be vying to wear the Tigers No.7 jumper with Brooks unavailable.

It’s a cruel blow for Farah who has enjoyed a hugely productive off-season since resolving his end-of-season standoff with coach Taylor.

Taylor has hinted he intends to play two hookers once the season begins, with Farah expected to be the Tigers starting hooker.

Halatau, Ballin, Cherrington or Liddle could then fill-in as an alternative hooker when Taylor sees fit.

• Looks like Mania will be the main man for round one if Farah is injured,with Liddle his offsider…just a shame Ballin isn’t ready yet,this would have been a great opportunity to see him in our colours first up if all being equal…
    One thing for sure I reckon Cherry will give the team tremendously quick and directed service from dummy half…he was great in the trial against the Sharkies…

• Banned

Damn. We need a solid defensive hooker v Warriors big men.
    With Rob, Ballin and Halatau out, Manaia will have a rough day at the office.

• Hmmm…

Cherrington will be in for a big game.
    Gotta feeling he’ll deliver.

• I haven’t seen Liddle play yet, is he as good as some of the forumers have made him out to be?

• Banned

No way can they pick Liddle. He gets run over in state cup.

Will be a big call for Taylor as Cherro cant play 80 mins round one.

My smokey is Hunt. Has played a lot in the halves and played hooker in the 9’s. Another option is Rankin moves from the wing into hooker.

• I wonder if this is akin to the hand injury that Mathew Head suffered……

• tigermac,I haven’t seen Liddle either,but gee I reckon Cherry will put on a great display,but I don’t believe he will go the eighty minutes,I will let Liddle show us what he can do in limited time if he gets a start….

• So it begins (injuries) 😒 . This is where our issue will be , we just haven’t got the back up and experience that is required when injuries occur.

• @foreveratiger:

So it begins (injuries) 😒 . This is where our issue will be , we just haven’t got the back up and experience that is required when injuries occur.

It wasn’t that long ago that everybody was saying we had too many hookers

• @king sirro:

No way can they pick Liddle. He gets run over in state cup.

Will be a big call for Taylor as Cherro cant play 80 mins round one.

My smokey is Hunt. Has played a lot in the halves and played hooker in the 9’s. Another option is Rankin moves from the wing into hooker.

Spot on , no way will Liddle even be considered he needs a whole year in State Cup.

His only hope could be around Origin time if there is any injuries to say Ballin or Cherrington he could get a look in .

Daley’s loves child will get picked.

• Another article was just saying Farah could be sidelined for the first month

• Very much doubt that Liddle would be used at this stage of his development. Maybe one of the halves be it Littlejohn, Drinkwater or Rankin could fill in whilst Cherrington is off the paddock. Obviously one of the 3 aforementioned players will be selected to replace Brooks in round 1 but one of the other 2 could be given the opportunity. A roughy could be Cassel given his defensive qualities but this may be offset by his lack of time at dummy half resulting in poor service whilst Cherrington off the paddock.

• @stryker:

Damn. We need a solid defensive hooker v Warriors big men.
    With Rob, Ballin and Halatau out, Manaia will have a rough day at the office.

Agree stryker we could be in for a bloodbath up the middle.

• I think that Taylor will go with Rankin as reserve hooker with Littlejohn at half and Heleta taking a wing spot.

Recent Topics