Ideas for engaging fans

As supporters of the Wests Tigers we have no control over what happens in a game, that’s a matter for players, coaches and officials. We can try to influence certain things, decisions made by officials and the fortunes of our team, but by and large our role is to provide an atmosphere of energy that excites those present on the day and hopefully enhance the standard of entertainment provided by the players. So what is it we supporters can control, can affect but rarely spend much time and effort doing? In my opinion we can help improve this club by providing ideas that would see more people wanting to support Wests Tigers. I don’t believe that this is simply a job that lies with management and marketing. I think that we can make a difference as well. I know there is now a members committee at Wests Tigers and that they will be looking at ways to improve fan engagement but why can’t we also come up with ideas which might help? Obviously improving results on the field makes any club more appealing in terms of TV, media and consequently to the public (particularly youth) but what else could, should, Wests Tigers do? What could, should, we supporters do?
I think there is talk of providing a section of our home games to the most vocal of our fans, something along the lines of ‘the burrow’ and what some of the A League teams have. I like this idea but what do others think, would it work? I think it was tried, albeit not very well, with ‘the Jungle’ areas at Campbelltown and Leichhardt. Is there enough vocal Wests Tigers fans to make it work?
I noticed at our recent trial that music was played after a try was scored but what I find interesting is that the music had no real relation to the try scorer. The music should, in my opinion, relate to that particular player in some fashion surely. I think younger fans would enjoy it if it did, and I would too by the way. Why can’t we provide ideas for music which might be used should, for example, James Tedesco score or David Noufoluma score?
I also like the idea of themed days. A ‘hair day’, come to the game with a Woodsy hair cut, Sauoso Sue, Kevvy Naiqaima etc.
I like the ‘kiss cam’ that has been used at some other clubs, it’s a bit of fun and engages the crowd.
The game day should be a fun, entertaining experience. We have a chance to be the leaders in this regard because I think most clubs, if not all, have yet to really change from what has been seen as the norm i.e. kicking contests, relay races, u7’s games. Yes, they can be okay sometimes but what else can be done? How can we make it a better experience not only for ourselves but for people who might think about going to a game?

@doublesonthemain:

As supporters of the Wests Tigers we have no control over what happens in a game, that’s a matter for players, coaches and officials. We can try to influence certain things, decisions made by officials and the fortunes of our team, but by and large our role is to provide an atmosphere of energy that excites those present on the day and hopefully enhance the standard of entertainment provided by the players. So what is it we supporters can control, can affect but rarely spend much time and effort doing? In my opinion we can help improve this club by providing ideas that would see more people wanting to support Wests Tigers. I don’t believe that this is simply a job that lies with management and marketing. I think that we can make a difference as well. I know there is now a members committee at Wests Tigers and that they will be looking at ways to improve fan engagement but why can’t we also come up with ideas which might help? Obviously improving results on the field makes any club more appealing in terms of TV, media and consequently to the public (particularly youth) but what else could, should, Wests Tigers do? What could, should, we supporters do?
I think there is talk of providing a section of our home games to the most vocal of our fans, something along the lines of ‘the burrow’ and what some of the A League teams have. I like this idea but what do others think, would it work? I think it was tried, albeit not very well, with ‘the Jungle’ areas at Campbelltown and Leichhardt. Is there enough vocal Wests Tigers fans to make it work?
I noticed at our recent trial that music was played after a try was scored but what I find interesting is that the music had no real relation to the try scorer. The music should, in my opinion, relate to that particular player in some fashion surely. I think younger fans would enjoy it if it did, and I would too by the way. Why can’t we provide ideas for music which might be used should, for example, James Tedesco score or David Noufoluma score? Could music be used in other ways. A signature tune used as a player leaves the field or enters it. While waiting a decision from the ‘bunker’ ‘Caddyshack’ theme for instance?
I also like the idea of themed days. A ‘hair day’, come to the game with a Woodsy hair cut, Sauoso Sue, Kevvy Naiqaima etc.
I like the ‘kiss cam’ that has been used at some other clubs, it’s a bit of fun and engages the crowd.
The game day should be a fun, entertaining experience. We have a chance to be the leaders in this regard because I think most clubs, if not all, have yet to really change from what has been seen as the norm i.e. kicking contests, relay races, u7’s games. Yes, they can be okay sometimes but what else can be done? How can we make it a better experience not only for ourselves but for people who might think about going to a game?

This is a great thread, ideas are always great fun to toss around, and who knows where they might end up?

I also enjoy the kiss cam, and the idea of club sponsored “Theme Game Days” opens up lots of potential.
In fact anything that involves the grassroots at-the-ground fans is just what the doctor ordered.

What about a random (say) 5 seats being given special pass to the sheds after the game for a meet and greet with the players etc?

Any more suggestions??

Would be worth mentioning this to one of the fan reps that are part of the committee for Wests.

Surely someone from on here is one?

A chance to sit in with the video ref!!!

You can tweet your ideas to someone on the members committee who can suggest them at the next meeting. NothingButWT is one

The kiss cam works well at the basketball,
There are several others that gets the kids engaged as well, such as playing the drums or paddling the canoe. Both of these use a jungle theme so surely we could get the tiger in there somewhere.
Kids also like fireworks, so any time a try is scored or a penalty is kicked, some fireworks from the goal posts would get them excited.
All someone has to do is go to a game of basketball or the big bash to see how it is done, they are so far ahead of us it isn’t funny.
Having said that they have more stoppages in play so it is easier to fill with entertainment.

It’s all about entertaining the kids any having them want to come back next time.

@Cultured Bogan:

Would be worth mentioning this to one of the fan reps that are part of the committee for Wests.

Surely someone from on here is one?

I’ll pass it on…

In addition to kiss cam NBA does a dance cam as well. Half time kick for cash

@marzie:

In addition to kiss cam NBA does a dance cam as well. Half time kick for cash

We haven’t got cash to pay out coaches and players, the fans don’t stand a chance. 😆

Wests-tigers radio. A shame the sponsors don’t fund it.

You want something that is going to bring fans to the footy

Kiss Cam isn’t going to bring fans to the footy , well not most of our better halves anyway

I can’t understand why we don’t let the kids on the field after every game , even if its only for 15 minutes and under a controlled environment

Cowboys do it and thousands go out after every game

The only certain way to bring the fans back is a few more wins.

@Newtown:

The only certain way to bring the fans back is a few more wins.

For sure, here’s hoping this happens a lot more this season.

Winning footy games engages the fans pretty simple actually!