Rumour: Billy McConnachie to Broncos (Triple M)

Broncos Sign ‘Gun’ Prop
Triple M NRL’s Ben Dobbin can excusively reveal that Broncos have strengthened their playing roster for 2016 by signing gun front-rower Billy “Madness” McConnachie from the Wests Tigers.

McConnachie, 25, was part of the Ipswich Jets premiership winning team from last year’s Intrust Super Cup and won the Duncan Hall Medal as the best player in the grand final against Townsville.

Brisbane tried to get him last year but couldn’t, with McConnachie instead joining the Wests Tigers.

He’s from Mt Isa and has an aggressive running style, which is where the nickname “madness” comes from.

In fact, he knocked out five players while running the footy during his time with the Jets.

Last season, McConnachie was lucky to escape being put on report after running in and striking Knights fullback Jake Mamo during NRL State Championship against Newcastle.

Jake Mamo was forced to leave the field with concussion during the match after he was involved in the scuffle. Watch the video of the punch below.

http://www.triplem.com.au/brisbane/sport/nrl/news/2016/2/brisbane-broncos-billy-mcconnachie-from-wests-tigers/

Appears that the Tigers must be considered by the Broncos as a feeder club. Unbelievable, if true!!

If he true he will be the second Ipswich player to leave and go back all within the off-season.
Marmin Barba the other.

Just started another thread a few mins ago on this too.

If its true can only think it’s for family reasons, hasn’t settled into life in Sydney. Would be a blow to our depth but he was seemingly behind a few in the pecking order anyway.

Would have liked to see him after a few more months to see how he developed once the season had started.

Don’t know how reliable this ‘Dobbo’ is though. He had said that Taupau was a 110% certainty to be playing for the Titans.

@TopTiger:

Appears that the Tigers must be considered by the Broncos as a feeder club. Unbelievable, if true!!

to me, its becoming more and more so that the tigers are merely a feeder club of juniors and unwanted players to the wealthy nrl teams anyway. broncos, sharks, seaeagles, etc.
maybe it suits the nrl to keep propping up the tigers so as to use their junior talent for the benefit of the “big name” clubs.
the cap is a farce, the rich get richer (talent wise) the rest get the picture.

If his heart isn’t in it, no point having him.

We can whinge and moan about it all we like, however if he’s not willing to rip in, he may as well play elsewhere.

@Blackpearl:

@TopTiger:

to me, its becoming more and more so that the tigers are merely a feeder club of juniors and unwanted players to the wealthy nrl teams anyway. broncos, sharks, seaeagles, etc.
maybe it suits the nrl to keep propping up the tigers so as to use their junior talent for the benefit of the “big name” clubs.

When it comes to juniors the Tigers need give an ultimatum to the NRL.
Either do something to reward clubs for producing their own juniors (e.g salary cap dispensation) or we’ll stop producing them. Not just us but clubs like Parramatta and Penrith also. That’ll decrease the talent level of the NRL pretty quick.

he had no impact against newtown. put some alright hits on but was pushed back nearly every hit up. he might not have made the bench for nsw cup. dallas graham, jj felisse, rod griffin and jordan grant were all much better in the middle third then he was.

would have been a long term project but i would have been surprised if he played first grade this year.

@Sabre:

@Blackpearl:

@TopTiger:

When it comes to juniors the Tigers need give an ultimatum to the NRL.
Either do something to reward clubs for producing their own juniors (e.g salary cap dispensation) or we’ll stop producing them. Not just us but clubs like Parramatta and Penrith also. That’ll decrease the talent level of the NRL pretty quick.

I wonder where the Roosters get their players from. As far as I know they have one of the smallest junior bases yet they say they are always are within the Salary Cap level?

Why don’t the Wests Tigers sign a new player from Broncos as a replacement for McConnachie. A replacement player would certainly be useful to WT. Maybe Wests Tigers management isn’t business savvy enough to consider this?

Not exactly the best career move for him if it is true, you only have to look at the Broncos back row and prop options to realise half the team would have to be out injured before he got a run.

Obviously the coaching staff have had a good look at Billy during the preseason and feel he is down the pecking order in the forwards and we might as well save some dollars and let him walk. I would imagine he has asked for the release and we have granted it

Geez I hate Wayne Bennett lol always gets what he wants

@fergiefurr:

he had no impact against newtown. put some alright hits on but was pushed back nearly every hit up. he might not have made the bench for nsw cup. dallas graham, jj Elise, rod griffin and jordan grant were all much better in the middle third then he was.

would have been a long term project but i would have been surprised if he played first grade this year.

Interesting how he can stand-out, in attack and defence, in a comp of a similar of not higher level, yet struggle in a trial in Sydney. Either he’s got a partial injury, or he’s too unhappy/unfocused to be able to rip in.

Did his wife and kid come down to Sydney with him? I imagine they must have…?!

Don’t know what people are concerned about, the guy must be about 8th in line for replacement prop, and that’s saying something when talking about WT depth.

We signed him from Ipswich a few months ago, can hardly be claiming to be a feeder to Broncos or worried about junior retention based on this one.

Always going to be a challenge when you sign QLDers to a Sydney club.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.