Liddle firming for round 1 selection

• Coach Jason Taylor is set to opt for relative unknown Jacob Liddle to make his NRL debut in round one, amid Wests Tigers hooking crisis.

Relative unknown Jacob Liddle is set to be the major beneficiary of Wests Tigers’ hooking crisis, with the former Australian Schoolboy in the selection frame for the NRL club’s season opener.

Liddle, 19, was one of the stars of the national youth competition last year and could make his NRL debut in the Tigers’ round-one clash against the Warriors due to injuries to Robbie Farah and Matt Ballin.

Farah and Ballin are set to miss the first six weeks of the NRL due to knee injuries.

Tigers coach Jason Taylor has indicated he wants to use two hookers in 2016, despite the reduction in the number of interchanges.

As a result, Liddle is on the verge of his first NRL game as back-up to Manaia Cherrington.

Ballin predicted a big future for Liddle.

“We have a lot of depth at hooker, we have Manaia Cherrington there and Jacob Liddle who is a young guy with a lot of potential, that is what the coach wanted and that is a good sign for the club,” Ballin told AAP on Friday.

"He is a really smart young player and he has a very mature head on his shoulders under pressure.

“At training he has really come up with the goods. I don’t want to talk him up too much and put pressure on him but as a young player he has just come out of 20s he has a lot of potential he is a good young kid who thinks about his footy and works really hard.”

Ballin said Cherrington would have to adapt his game with himself and Farah sidelined.

“As the game changes with the interchange reducing he will have to stay out there for a bit longer maybe and move to a different position,” Ballin said.

“Everyone has to adapt. It will be interesting to see in the first few rounds which teams adapt well, we have trained extremely well over the pre-season. We have increased our aerobic fitness and the guys who need to play longer minutes will be capable of that.”

• Nice, doubt he’ll dissapoint.

• I could be wrong but I don’t believe he is ready. Good kid but doesn’t seem to have the repertoire of Mania and Robbie.

• @tigermac88:

“we have trained extremely well over the pre-season. We have increased our aerobic fitness and the guys who need to play longer minutes will be capable of that.”

You’d think Ballin’s standards are pretty high coming from Manly so I like the sounds of this!

• @greatodensraven:

@tigermac88:

“we have trained extremely well over the pre-season. We have increased our aerobic fitness and the guys who need to play longer minutes will be capable of that.”

You’d think Ballin’s standards are pretty high coming from Manly so I like the sounds of this!

He used to be my friend’s PT

• Could be the next farah (Cherrington is the next Isaac luke).

• @swag tiger:

Could be the next farah (Cherrington is the next Isaac luke).

I highly doubt Cherrington will ever have the defensive capabilities of Luke.
    What are Liddle’s strengths? Have never seen him play.

• I think it’s a bit much for the young fella considering mania is only 21…stock fill gap for Rd 1 for mine. Either Cassel as people have suggested or Littlejohn/rankin to fill void for 20-30 mins

• @greatodensraven:

@tigermac88:

Ballins experience and knowledge will be unbelievably handy to the young guys,even though he is sidelined he will be working with these younger ones a lot over the coming weeks…

• Don’t know if throwing Liddle to the big Kiwi forwards is a great initiation into first grade. All for seeing how they handle it but that’s stacking the deck a little IMO, only setting him up for failure.

• @Cultured Bogan:

Don’t know if throwing Liddle to the big Kiwi forwards is a great initiation into first grade. All for seeing how they handle it but that’s stacking the deck a little IMO, only setting him up for failure.

I can see your point CB,however its up to our big experienced forwards to look after him if the monsters start to target him…

• @swag tiger:

Could be the next farah

(Cherrington is the next Isaac luke).

Certainly hope not….One Farah for this club is enough…

• As the saying goes, “if you’re good enough you’re old enough”. This is a short summary of the early career of Tim Brasher who first played for Balmain at 17 years of age. In that same year he played in the Grand Final between Balmain and Canberra and went on to play for Australia. I am pretty sure that there were no interchanges allowed in first grade in those days.

"While attending Grantham High School in Seven Hills, Sydney, Brasher played for the Australian Schoolboys team in 1988.[1] In 1989 Balmain Tigers coach Warren Ryan called up Brasher, still in high school, to make his first grade debut. Balmain reached the Grand Final that year, Brasher played in the centres, but they lost to the Canberra Raiders 19–14. "

• @Fade To Black:

@swag tiger:

Could be the next farah (Cherrington is the next Isaac luke).

I highly doubt Cherrington will ever have the defensive capabilities of Luke.
    What are Liddle’s strengths? Have never seen him play.

The kid is the real deal seen him play on Saturday night against a big and motivated Newtown side .

• Very good ball runner,okay he may struggle with the big Kiwi forwards but the big kiwi forwards might struggle with his speed around the rucks.

Anyway it’s a yes from me

Recent Topics