Finishing 8th is overachieving

• Banned

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, haven’t posted in a long time. Couldn’t find an appropriate topic to post this in.

If we finish anywhere in the top 8 we are massively overachieving. I think the bigger picture is more important than numbers. Straight away we should forget the top 8 and focus on attitude and playing well.

Even if we aren’t winning games, if the signs are there that the players are putting in and plans are coming off, that’s good enough for me. Showing heart is the best way to win supporters back. Obviously winning is important, but supporters like me have been switching off the last few years. Sometimes I don’t feel like backing a bunch of pea-hearted backstabbers.

What do you want out of the team this year? Leave your thoughts below.

• I think if you look at all the predictions across all forms of media, I have not seen anyone predict we will come anywhere other then the bottom 3. Given that outsider view of our club then I think anywhere outside the bottom 4 is a solid achievement.

As a fan I would think top 8 and have a few reasons why I think it is possible but reality is people expect us to be bottom 3 without exception. That isn’t down to the coach as whoever was coach that would be the view

• I don’t think there’s such a thing as overachieving.
    If we make the 8 then we will have deserved to do so.

• Banned

I have a simple philosophy.

Everything you do from preseason, to the trials and throughout the premiership rounds all leads to the finals. Miss them and you have let down your mates, coaching staff, your employer, sponsors and the fans.
    Miss them and you have underachieved.
    Miss them and you have failed.

• Banned

There’s more than one way to achieve a win (or skin a cat). The best thing is to get the players having fun again. Play for your mate. Be there to make that tackle for him. That’s what’s truly fun about football. If the only scope players looking for is the result, stats and their numbers, it’s a bad omen.

edit: I think I went off-topic. maybe i should make a blog. 😆

• @WestsSupporter:

There’s more than one way to achieve a win (or skin a cat). The best thing is to get the players having fun again. Play for your mate. Be there to make that tackle for him. That’s what’s truly fun about football. If the only scope players looking for is the result, stats and their numbers, it’s a bad omen.

edit: I think I went off-topic. maybe i should make a blog. 😆

Love that saying WestsSupporter

My Year 9 Maths teacher used to say it all the time , he was a cranky old bugger , but you had to respect any person who scored a ton facing Peter Pollock when playing for Qld Country

• As a club we need wins and plenty of them. I am afraid punters and sponsors are not interested in improved performances that end up in a loss, or a very gallant loss or a unlucky loss, they want wins.

Okay they are not going to win every week, but we want a team that is going to win more than they loose and if that happens we make the eight. As far as over achieving, I don’t think so and I think we need a high bar to aim for

• @Sabre:

I don’t think there’s such a thing as overachieving.
    If we make the 8 then we will have deserved to do so.

I agree, top 8 should be the minimum they aim for.

• Banned

I think 10-6 is acceptable dependent on injuries and how they appear to be playing. I definitely don’t think 8th is overachieving.

I also feel we have a decent squad. The risk is some players like Brooks, Moses and Sironen don’t improve a lot but if they do then our squad is decent.

• Funny how things change - when I joined this forum got into stoush with a fellow forumer about too many WTs fans accepting mediocrity after regularly just missing out on the eight - fast forward a couple seasons to now - and mediocrity would be generally seen as a successful year.

• Banned

^ It should never be.
    We have an exciting attacking squad filled with hungry new hopefuls wishing to make their mark.
    The competition is strong in several positions and the coach has his back to the wall.
    I do not foresee a mediocre season.
    I believe they’ll make the finals this year barring an injury crisis.

• @stryker:

^ It should never be.
    We have an exciting attacking squad filled with hungry new hopefuls wishing to make their mark.
    The competition is strong in several positions and the coach has his back to the wall.

I love reading posts like this coming into the season. It gets me pumped up and excited.

• Like any workplace, if the over riding atmosphere is negative, if people aren’t on the same pages and all working as one… You can’t keep up a pretence for too long, especially 30+ weeks which is a footy season.
    You wont get your best and reach your peak.
    We know this all too well.
    I fear this will be the case again, hope I’m wrong

• @stryker:

^ It should never be.

So many ifs and buts for me this year I can honestly say I have no idea what will happen - I do have faith in Brooks and Moses and if it was only about money you would say our club has served them way too well - just hope they get the support on the field this year, with no coaching and off field dramas so they can just concentrate on the footy and show was what they can do.

• Making the 8 should be every teams mandatory goal each year yet some call it over achieving…. Winning the comp - now that would be over achieving!!!

Recent Topics