Wests Tigers to adopt themes for all home games in 2016 in bid to boost engagement with fans

• Wests Tigers to adopt themes for all home games in 2016 in bid to boost engagement with fans
    Wests Tigers will have a theme for all of their home games in 2016, starting with a tribute to multiculturalism when they host the Warriors in round one at Campbelltown Stadium on Saturday.

The push is part of new chief executive Justin Pascoe’s plan to create a unique atmosphere at games.
    While some of the themes are aligned to NRL-themed rounds, such as the annual Indigenous round, the Tigers will introduce others, including a 1980s theme, a circus round, back to school round and a legends round as the club looks to improve its engagement with fans.

Pascoe said he wants to “deliver a fan engagement which was second to none”.
    “We need to ensure that the game is a significant by-product of the whole day,” Pascoe said. "In club land we compete against the broadcast TV deal.

"Our greatest challenge as a game is to still pack out stadiums when you have some great broadcast opportunities. We are working towards a recipe for success.

“We want to provide content for the fans to engage amongst themselves. That creates a whole sense of unity and a real feel of team and encourages singing and dancing.”

The Tigers will pay tribute to a host of players from their squad who have a range of cultural backgrounds, while the Warriors – made up largely of New Zealanders and players with Pacific Islander heritage – were a natural fit. The likes of Tigers squad members James Tedesco (Italian), David Nofoaluma (Samoan), Tim Simona (Samoan), Kevin Naiqama (Fijian), Mitchell Moses (Lebanese), Robbie Farah (Lebanese), Sauaso Sue (Samoan), and Ava Seumanufagai (Samoan) will be recognised.

“If we can maximise the opportunity at Campbelltown in an area that is multicultural, it makes perfect sense,” Pascoe said. "We want to attempt to create an atmosphere that the people sitting on their couch at home go ‘what am I missing? I want to be there now’.

"The [themes] are specific to each round. Some are in alignment with the NRL and we can leverage off that. Through strategic workshops [we came up with the themes] and discussion and making sure the themes we come up with are relevant to not only the game but the fan base and the opposition team.

“Our motivations and intent is to ensure that we can deliver a fan experience that is second to none.”

Wests Tigers themes:
    Round one v Warriors, Campbelltown: multiculturalism
    Round two v Sea Eagles, Leichhardt: Junior league appreciation
    Round four v Eels, ANZ Stadium: Easter
    Round five v Sharks, Campbelltown: Circus
    Round seven v Storm, Leichhardt: 1980s
    Round 10 v Bulldogs, ANZ Stadium: Indigenous
    Round 11 v Knights, Campbelltown: family
    Round 14 v Rabbitohs, ANZ Stadium: beyondblue
    Round 17 v Panthers, ANZ Stadium: Legends
    Round 22 v Cowboys, Leichhardt: Ladies
    Round 23 v Titans, Campbelltown: Back to School
    Round 26 v Raiders, Leichhardt: Members appreciation

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/wests-tigers-to-adopt-themes-for-all-home-games-in-2016-in-bid-to-boost-engagement-with-fans-20160226-gn54sx#ixzz41KjNt09A

• That’s good news, finally the club being proactive to try to get bums on seats

• Good to see the club being proactive, but fans like winners, they start winning and the fans will be there, sad but true.

• Only minor, but how come this comes out in the media rather than the club announcing it to members and fans first via the club email. Same as the Mark O’Neill story the other day which we still haven’t heard anything from the club about.

All in all though it’s good to see the club making an effort to get crowds in, hopefully a sign of things to come from Pascoe. Round 5 could backfire though.

• Would prefer our theme to be: winning games of footy.

Circus round has probably run its race, the whole of 2015 and this past off season were circus round.

Still don’t know why we wouldn’t offer $5 entry or something similar for walk-up tickets to games where they know we would struggle to pull a crowd. Even better if the club got a percentage of the takings for food and drinks sold at the SFS and ANZ Stadium but I highly doubt they would.

• Easter? A Christian religious theme? That’s a sure fire way to encourage our reluctant Islamic or Buddhist or Jewish or Agnostic or countless other fans to decide “I want to be there now”. NOT!

What evidence does Pascoe have that those who have to attend to participate in a themed event (dancers, schools kids, teachers, easter bunnies…) actually become future paying fans or members?

I think we should contribute to the themed rounds only as decided by the NRL because, despite what Pascoe thinks. he may not have a good grasp of the Wests Tigers fan base.

For instance, Round 1 is on the same night as the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras. Why isn’t the club paying some acknowledgment to the fans who have foregone their participation there to get to CSS for the game against the Warriors?

• ^^ That’s the spirit! ^^

• @LCA:

Easter? A Christian religious theme? That’s a sure fire way to encourage our reluctant Islamic or Buddhist or Jewish or Agnostic or countless other fans to decide “I want to be there now”. NOT!

What evidence does Pascoe have that those who have to attend to participate in a themed event (dancers, schools kids, teachers, easter bunnies…) actually become future paying fans or members?

I think we should contribute to the themed rounds only as decided by the NRL because, despite what Pascoe thinks. he may not have a good grasp of the Wests Tigers fan base.

For instance, Round 1 is on the same night as the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras. Why isn’t the club paying some acknowledgment to the fans who have foregone their participation there to get to CSS for the game against the Warriors?

Right on! Same with Ladies round. I mean most of our fans are blokes who will probably refuse to attend! And don’t get me started on those school kids… Back to school indeed!

• @LCA:

Easter? A Christian religious theme? That’s a sure fire way to encourage our reluctant Islamic or Buddhist or Jewish or Agnostic or countless other fans to decide “I want to be there now”. NOT!

I haven’t been to the parade in years, but recall it starting after dark. As WT start at 5:30 you might be able to get there around the time the floats start rolling and keep your WT gear on to promote your side.

• @Yossarian:

@LCA:

Right on! Same with Ladies round. I mean most of our fans are blokes who will probably refuse to attend! And don’t get me started on those school kids… Back to school indeed!

And don’t get me started on the cheese makers!! Blessed are the cheese makers… Ridiculous!!

• @ryanda01:

@Yossarian:

@LCA:

And don’t get me started on the cheese makers!! Blessed are the cheese makers… Ridiculous!!

Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Eggs and Spam on the side

• What about a Frank Thring appreciation evening ?? Everyone must walk around all night speaking like Frank Thring

Or a Bob Dylan night , where you go round talking with that Bob Dylan twang

They are just missing our fan base’s wants and needs

• ForumSupporter

Why not try and add something constructive….Happy

At least the Club is attempting to improve the match day experience for the fans…A lot of emphasis will be put on families and kids this season…to get bums on seats…cheaper family tickets will be made available…the Easter Monday game is looking to have a show ticket/game package…I applaud the Club for trying something…

Perhaps it’s not just the Club that needs a Culture change but sections of the fanbase as well…

• @Geo.:

Why not try and add something constructive….Happy

At least the Club is attempting to improve the match day experience for the fans…A lot of emphasis will be put on families and kids this season…to get bums on seats…cheaper family tickets will be made available…the Easter Monday game is looking to have a show ticket/game package…I applaud the Club for trying something…

Perhaps it’s not just the Club that needs a Culture change but sections of the fanbase as well…

Sorry Geo , but my problem is that I reckon while the fans may get fully involved , I reckon the club efforts might half baked ,demeaning and cheap

Just my opinion If your going to get involved in topical stuff , like the Indigenous round , beyond blue you have to go the whole nine yards with it and not make it cheap and demeaning

Wouldn’t you agree ?? We have been let down too many times when the club should have stood up and taken a stand or done the right thing

• @happy tiger:

What about a Frank Thring appreciation evening ?? Everyone must walk around all night speaking like Frank Thring.

That’d be great for the seven people who remember who Frank Thring is! How about come as your favourite Blankety Blanks panelist!

Recent Topics