Wests Tigers to adopt themes for all home games in 2016 in bid to boost engagement with fans

It’s clear that Pascoe has an MBA or similar given the current talk from the club about ‘engagement’ and ‘culture’. His interview about culture in particular read like something straight out of a publication by John Boudreau.

It’s hrs not to be cynical when the usual media blitz hits us at this time of year but I hope he is successful and can get everyone on board. The club needs transformational change on many levels.

Look, I couldn’t care less about the other entertainment. I just want to watch some footy. But, if the big bash has taught us anything, it’s that it matters to plenty of women and kids. Anything that gets return punters or entices new ones is a bonus.

On the other hand, I’d love to go to Happy’s Bob Dylan night. “This is the story of Joel Caine, the man the authorities came to blaaaame”

Christ, damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

The multiculturalism round is certainly a great idea. The Macarthur is a heavily multicultural area, we should be trying to throw the net out and pick up fans from backgrounds not heavily entrenched in Rugby League.

I do agree though, best way to get to get fans through the gate is win games.

Masterton,I do agree with you and many others that crowds will come if the team keeps winning,no problem with that at all…I also agree with CB,that we have to try and entice others from within our communities to have an interest in our club and come to games,wouldn’t it be nice if a lot of families came to our game at Campbo and left there saying what a great day it was …we can’t wait for the next one…now that would create a media frenzy for all the right reasons… 😃

I am all for the club putting a lot of time and effort into finding ways to engage and try and grow the fan base. As for culture, its a buzz word. All the things that make up a good culture are things we learn growing up at home at school and in life in general. If you need someone to teach you these things by the time you hit the Weststigers than you have some problems

@Masterton:

Look, I couldn’t care less about the other entertainment. I just want to watch some footy. But, if the big bash has taught us anything, it’s that it matters to plenty of women and kids. Anything that gets return punters or entices new ones is a bonus.

I’m with you there. I couldn’t care less about any of these themes, and probably won’t see anything to do with them in any case as i’ll be watching the juniors not standing in a courtyard listening to bongo drums.

But these activities aren’t aimed at someone like me, so i get it. It’s important for people who aren’t as rusted on footy fans.

But I doubt it would have any impact on attendances whatsoever. Are the indian community going to come out to support multiculturalism round because they’re selling curry in the forecourt? Nope. Maybe a few friends of members here and there, and the customer experience of those who would have come anyway might be improved (women and children mostly) but you’re not simply going to buy a ticket to the footy because of some theme.

The best we can hope for is increased media exposure for the rounds which aren’t nrl themed rounds, although most of them are the NRL gimmick rounds. IMO the NRL themes are all very shallow in implementation. All talk and excitement for one week about that ‘key demographic’ only to then go back to normal and completely forget about it the week after. A single indigenous round does nothing to engage the aboriginal communities across regional Australia. A single women’s round with pink jerseys does nothing to stop league players acting like complete morons to women etc. Token acknowledgement at its finest, but no underlying strategies to actually make a long term difference.

What utter garbage. Who goes to a football game to support multi-culturalism or multi-anything else?? We go to see our team play football. Want to engage with fans??? Win bloody games. Pure and simple. Pascoe … hand in your pay for last week because if that is your best shot we are in for another l o n g season.
I need a rest!!!

@OutbackJack:

What utter garbage. Who goes to a football game to support multi-culturalism or multi-anything else?? We go to see our team play football. Want to engage with fans??? Win bloody games. Pure and simple. Pascoe … hand in your pay for last week because if that is your best shot we are in for another l o n g season.
I need a rest!!!

Its only PR gobbedy gook.

None of it appeals to me, I’m only interested in the game, and will probably be playing with my phone when there’s a performance or whatever else they are doing. But that’s okay. If someone else gets something out of it, that’s great. It doesn’t have to spoil my night, like i don’t have to spoil anyone’s who might get a kick out of it.

@LCA:

Easter? A Christian religious theme? That’s a sure fire way to encourage our reluctant Islamic or Buddhist or Jewish or Agnostic or countless other fans to decide “I want to be there now”. NOT!

What evidence does Pascoe have that those who have to attend to participate in a themed event (dancers, schools kids, teachers, easter bunnies…) actually become future paying fans or members?

I think we should contribute to the themed rounds only as decided by the NRL because, despite what Pascoe thinks. he may not have a good grasp of the Wests Tigers fan base.

For instance, Round 1 is on the same night as the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras. Why isn’t the club paying some acknowledgment to the fans who have foregone their participation there to get to CSS for the game against the Warriors?

Pinhead alert!!!

@OutbackJack:

I need a rest!!!

These things aren’t targeted to you, me or GNR4LIFE or anyone here….
New fans and members are the focus

You can only supply the location and entertainment.
It’s up to the individual to have a good time or not.
Good on the club, for trying something different.
If it opens the door to more members and an increased fan base, it can only be a positive.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.