Parramatta's Cap and Watmough

• Interesting to read that should Watmough not be able to continue to play football, his portion of income won’t be included in the Eels salary cap. Is it too cynical to suggest that Parramatta would do all that they can to encourage him to move on into retirement with full pay so as to allow yet more recruitment of top line players? For the life of me, I can’t see why Watmough would want to keep playing if he’s getting full pay not to.

http://www.zerotackle.com/retirement-talk-raises-concerns-about-long-term-deals-20892/#XLVi5bPraW0jfoR5.97

• Because he loves what he does?

• Not 100% sure but I thought when Liam Fulton retired due to his on going problems with concussion his contract money still came off our cap. So if that was the case and I am sure there is someone out there who would know,than Parra will still have to account for Choc’s contract in the cap.

Maybe there is a rule if you play x amount of games in a season rather than retire before round one???

• ForumSupporter

We applied for Cap exception for Fulton but did not get it…

Looks like the DNA Freak has never been the same after he left Manly…

• How could we not have got it? A medical retirement for a player due to repeated concussions, taking the safe option and putting the players welfare first, and the club get’s punished?

Why should Parra get him off for free for something far less serious?

• Surely we would have missed the exemption only for the year that Fulton played. There’s no logical reasoning that the NRL could make us take a cap hit for the rest of his contract when he wasn’t able to play a single game during the season.

• @Cultured Bogan:

Because he loves what he does?

If he was 22 - sure. At 32, I think things are somewhat different .

• ForumSupporter

@Cultured Bogan:

Surely we would have missed the exemption only for the year that Fulton played. There’s no logical reasoning that the NRL could make us take a cap hit for the rest of his contract when he wasn’t able to play a single game during the season.

Correct it was in the year he retired 2014…Fulton’s salary was not included in the Cap for 2015…

• @wd in perth:

@Cultured Bogan:

Because he loves what he does?

If he was 22 - sure. At 32, I think things are somewhat different .

Could be a pride thing WD. A lot of blokes wouldn’t like to hear that they can’t do something any more, much less something they love.

I can’t play sports any more due to a possibly life threatening heart arrhythmia. It’s a huge hit to the ego and at times depressing that I can’t do something that I once loved doing. I could understand why he’d want to kick on.

• @Geo.:

@Cultured Bogan:

Surely we would have missed the exemption only for the year that Fulton played. There’s no logical reasoning that the NRL could make us take a cap hit for the rest of his contract when he wasn’t able to play a single game during the season.

Correct it was in the year he retired 2014…Fulton’s salary was not included in the Cap for 2015…

So Geo if that is correct you would assume Choc’s contract money for 2016 should still count in Parra’s cap, unless there is a rule to say if you pull the pin prior to the first round the contract is than null and void.

Anyway from where i sit,Parra are desperate for Choc to hang up his boots,probably to get themselves out of a cap mess and Chocs wants to play. Parra will get their way,maybe a job in the organisation will be the carrot to sway Choc

• @supercoach:

@Geo.:

@Cultured Bogan:

So Geo if that is correct you would assume Choc’s contract money for 2016 should still count in Parra’s cap, unless there is a rule to say if you pull the pin prior to the first round the contract is than null and void.

Anyway from where i sit,Parra are desperate for Choc to hang up his boots,probably to get themselves out of a cap mess and Chocs wants to play. Parra will get their way,maybe a job in the organisation will be the carrot to sway Choc

I’d hazard a guess that your second paragraph is right. They’ve loaded up big time. They’ve either backloaded a kings ransom in contract money or they’re in the hole and banking on Watmough retiring.

If Choc doesn’t play a single game this year, I fail to see how the NRL couldn’t grant a cap exemption for Parra though.

Gives rise to an interesting scenario though: If Watmough doesn’t play all year or retires, and it comes out that Parra were over the cap inclusive of his salary, would they still be penalised? It would be particularly interesting if he stays contracted and doesn’t play the whole season and Parra apply for the exemption.

• @wd in perth:

Interesting to read that should Watmough not be able to continue to play football, his portion of income won’t be included in the Eels salary cap. Is it too cynical to suggest that Parramatta would do all that they can to encourage him to move on into retirement with full pay so as to allow yet more recruitment of top line players? For the life of me, I can’t see why Watmough would want to keep playing if he’s getting full pay not to.

http://www.zerotackle.com/retirement-talk-raises-concerns-about-long-term-deals-20892/#XLVi5bPraW0jfoR5.97

If he is deemed not to play for the remainder of his contract, they only get paid 20% for seasons he is yet to play a game in. (standard clause) So next year he would only get 20%

In thoery if a player in the last year of a contract does an ACL in pre-season they can choose to only pay 20% of his contract. They don’t generally do that.

Recent Topics